Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E39 Windshield trim replacement

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3

Post E39 Windshield trim replacement

E39 Windshield Rubber Trim Replacement

No rain today, so I took an hour today to replace my deteriorated rubber windshield trim. I found various posts, but few pictures.
    This job was easy enough to do without photos, but I ran across folks asking for photos in many of the treads. So, here's a few photos to document a very easy DIY.

I'm describing how I did it, which is similar, but not exact to the various posts I read. The car pictured is a 1999 540it, but the procedure I believe is the same for all E39s.

This cosmetic trim piece does not water seal the windshield, there's windshield adhesive under the windshield for that duty.
    (I have to believe it helps though as when in place it keeps stuff away from the actual windshield seal.)

Many folks have described having this deteriorated window seal on thier cars after 3-7 years.

Does your windshield seal look like this?

I was tired of looking at it. I was quoted $150 to do the job by my Indy.

Here's what you need to replace this seal for less than $50 and an hour of your time:

A new OEM Windshield seal. Part # 51-31-8-159-784. I got mine from Bavauto for about 45$ or so.

• Box cutter ( Razor in a handle to clean the edge of the glass )
    • A curved pick tool. (In my case two, as I broke one...)
    • A small needle nose vise grip to grab the trim edges
    • A plastic trim removal tool (An ice cream stick would work too)
    • Rubber protectorant

Also needed but not pictured:
    • a bucket of soapy water and a small paint-safe washrag. I used my regular car wash soap.
    • An hour or less
    • I also have access to an air compressor to blow out any debris in the window grove, but you can just carefully wipe with a small towel
    A key thing to remember is to take your time so when you're done, there's no chipped glass, no scratched paint and a nice, even installation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The old window trim is a cosmetic trim piece that has three metal strips imbedded in the rubber in the shape of a "c" to fit around the windshield window glass.
    The trim piece sits in a groove around the windshield and fits under some rubber trim pieces at the base of the lower windshield corners by the fenders.
    There is a metal encased rubber strip on the driver and passenger sides that are connected by a metal encased rubber center strip across the top edge of the windshield.
    The strips are joined together at the corners. There is no metal in the corners.

The three metal strips make it easy to remove the old trim once you get an end up.

I used the pick tool on the corners to break the single installed strip into three sections, two sides and top.

Once I got a trim section end up, I carefully pulled it perpendicular to the window and out away from the car.
    The top trim edge on mine was in real tight around the glass. Just be paticient, so you don't break your pick...
    I ended up using another pick and a pair of needle nose vice grips to get this pesky top section edge.

Once I got all three pieces out, I cleaned the edge of the window and the groove that the trim sat in with soapy water.

Once I cleaned it all out, I used compressed air to blow debris out of the groove. You can just wipe it out, just ensure you get any loose pieces out.
    Just be sure not to pull out or disturb the window sealant. You just want to end up with a clean groove and window edge.

I used the box cutter to clean stray sealant from the edge of the windshield glass. (Sorry, forgot to take a pic...)

Once the grooves and glass edge was clean, I started the install of the new windshield trim strip.
    First, I let some of the clean soapy water into the grooves for easier installation. I started in the corner for the passenger side.
    I slipped the open edge of the trim "c" edge over the windshield class and pressed down. Make sure the corner lies flat.
    If the side trim is installed too high, it will buckle, if installed too low, it'll look stretched.

In this pic, the passenger trim is about 1/8" high causing the top edge to buckle. I just pulled the passenger side towards the bottom 1/8" or so till the corner smoothed out.
    The soapy water helps if you have to make any adjustments.

When I got to the bottom, I used the plastic trim tool to get the new trim under an existing rubber fender trim piece.

Next, press the top trim edge in just like the procedure for the side. The top will require a bit more pressure. I just struck the trim strip with the heel of my hand to get it in-place. The soapy water helped out too.

I followed the same install procedure on the drivers side as I did on the Passenger side to install and tuck the side trim.

Once it's all in, check that all edges are uniformly pressed in, the corners are even and the bottom edges are tucked in.

Three things left..

Wash the windshield or or good time to wash the whole car from the soapy water on the windshield, treat the rubber trim with a protectorant, (I used a marine grade product) and dump the old windshield trim...

That's it. Total time, 47 minutes... On to the next DIY... Cheers!
    Last edited by BlackBMWs; 05-18-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Updated content & format

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit
    1998 318ti Cali Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 23
    1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 68 ,

1995 318ti Active - Alpineweib III/Schwartz, squared style 32
    1994 325i - Bostongrau/Tan, Billy Sports, H&R springs
    1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

1995 318ti Sport Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz - Sold
    1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold

1984 533i "Max" - Schwarz/Schwarz, - Sold
    1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

My Cars
    540i6
    NICE - Ive been planning to do this. great job Black

you also doing the back?
    Last edited by z168; 12-24-2008 at 05:02 AM.
    Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft

My Cars
    Got BIG wheels!
    Nice job.
    I just had the windshield and molding replaced yesterday. It had little very small chips due to some higher speed driving. Also had a small crack in the corner and did not want it to get any larger either. Having the front windshield tinted this morning. I am getting the entire windshield done to 50%. The car already has 20% all the way around.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    u r getting your windshield tinted? how is that legal?

My Cars
    1967 Ford Bronco
    Ive replaced many a windshield in my day (especially on those pesky miura's!!) and in my experience the moulding/gasket wrapped around the entire winshield then it was set into place and we either had to use the "rope" method to seal it, set it into place with a silicone based adhesive, or with the newer styles it just set into a groove type fitment.

Now is this "moulding" that you put in what actually keeps water from getting into our cars? With all the rain in the past few days I noticed that I had some weathering of both front and rear mouldings and I had a leak coming from the top passenger side running down my pillar. Or is our winshield pressed into place and sealed with silicone and this moulding just goes on top for asthetics?

I was about to buy this from the above mentioned supplier but I thought I would call my warehouse suppliers and a few other local winshield installers and they all told me that the actual seal is wrapped around the winshield and the install would run $350+ due to the fact that most replacements warrant a new winshield since they break too easily.

As a fix I simply lifted the remaining good rubber on the top corner and shoved a silicone gun in there and went to town and now no leak .

However it is a temporary fix until I can get some hardcore info on this.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc1045 View Post
    Having the front windshield tinted this morning. I am getting the entire windshield done to 50%.
    I read this, and think this:

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    First off.... 50% on the windshield is NOTHING!!! until you drive with it on your windshield, you shouldnt comment on it. you can see very clearly with 50% on your windshield. especailly since he's only got 35% on the sides. I personally wouldnt do it, but i've driven cars with limo all the way around and 35% on the windshield. couldn't tell there was anything on the windhsield at all, except from outside.

as for the trim for a water seal... no. it's strictly cosmetic. the seal is behind the glass. now, just because it's cosmetic, doesnt mean you dont need it. without it, you're driving in a wind tunnel. a few guys have claimed that by replacing this trim, they've gotten rid of mystery noises.

Nice writeup. good photos. now people will believe when we tell them how EASY this is.

My Cars
    1999 540i/6

RE

Great writeup. The timing on that post could not have been better. I just ordered the trim and now I know I can do it myself. I also got three pieces called "rubber buffers". How are these used in the install?

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonswa View Post
    First off.... 50% on the windshield is NOTHING!!! until you drive with it on your windshield, you shouldnt comment on it. you can see very clearly with 50% on your windshield. especailly since he's only got 35% on the sides. I personally wouldnt do it, but i've driven cars with limo all the way around and 35% on the windshield. couldn't tell there was anything on the windhsield at all, except from outside.

as for the trim for a water seal... no. it's strictly cosmetic. the seal is behind the glass. now, just because it's cosmetic, doesnt mean you dont need it. without it, you're driving in a wind tunnel. a few guys have claimed that by replacing this trim, they've gotten rid of mystery noises.

Nice writeup. good photos. now people will believe when we tell them how EASY this is.

I'll stick to sunglasses. I like near 100% transparency in my constant viewing field.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by z168 View Post
    NICE - Ive been planning to do this. great job Black

you also doing the back?
    Thanks! Nope on the back as the Touring rear glass seals are under the glass and are still perfect. I've not seen the seals for the Sedan. Same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by lennardlector View Post
    Ive replaced many a windshield in my day (especially on those pesky miura's!!) and in my experience the moulding/gasket wrapped around the entire winshield then it was set into place and we either had to use the "rope" method to seal it, set it into place with a silicone based adhesive, or with the newer styles it just set into a groove type fitment.

Now is this "moulding" that you put in what actually keeps water from getting into our cars? With all the rain in the past few days I noticed that I had some weathering of both front and rear mouldings and I had a leak coming from the top passenger side running down my pillar. Or is our winshield pressed into place and sealed with silicone and this moulding just goes on top for asthetics?

I was about to buy this from the above mentioned supplier but I thought I would call my warehouse suppliers and a few other local winshield installers and they all told me that the actual seal is wrapped around the winshield and the install would run $350+ due to the fact that most replacements warrant a new winshield since they break too easily.

As a fix I simply lifted the remaining good rubber on the top corner and shoved a silicone gun in there and went to town and now no leak .

However it is a temporary fix until I can get some hardcore info on this.
    This trim is mainly cosmetic, but affords some protection to the actual windshield seal for the windshield. Sounds like you have a breech in the actual windshield seal. I didn't cover that... Good luck! I updated my writeup with more content from your questions. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andy81563 View Post
    Great writeup. The timing on that post could not have been better. I just ordered the trim and now I know I can do it myself. I also got three pieces called "rubber buffers". How are these used in the install?
    I saw those in RealOEM. Didn't come across them and not really mentioned in any text DIYs I came across. I wonder if the are the corner pieces in the roofline, or the two pieces at the base of the trim.

Can you take a pic and post please? Thanks!
    Last edited by BlackBMWs; 12-24-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit

1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    530IA
    Quote Originally Posted by MA3HOK View Post
    u r getting your windshield tinted? how is that legal?
    Depends upon the tint laws in your state. In states like MA. Aftermarket tint is limited to 35% max. On the windshield only the top 6" can be tinted. Fines are stiff and many inspection stations will not pass you.

Check out your state laws
    http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Thumbs up

Nice job!
    My front seal is still in good shape, but my rear is cracking. I bought both front and rear replacements but have been unsure if it can be replaced without removing the glass. Now I know. When I tackle the rear I will do a DIY unless someone beats me to it.
    Thanks, man!!!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    OP, what a winner of a job. Nice. I would FREAK OUT if my seal looked like that. Door seals and window seals are a pet peeve of mine, there cannot be any squeaking from them.

Please, once a month dress your (new) window seal with either Gummi Plfege, Wurth Rubber Car Gel Stick, Klasse Vinyl & Rubber, 303 or even Blue Vinylex.

I coat my door seals with them and some talcum powder a few times a year too. I've never seen a window seal as bad as yours, you did a very cool DIY.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    OP, what a winner of a job. Nice. I would FREAK OUT if my seal looked like that. Door seals and window seals are a pet peeve of mine, there cannot be any squeaking from them.

Please, once a month dress your (new) window seal with either Gummi Plfege, Wurth Rubber Car Gel Stick, Klasse Vinyl & Rubber, 303 or even Blue Vinylex.

I coat my door seals with them and some talcum powder a few times a year too. I've never seen a window seal as bad as yours, you did a very cool DIY.
    Thanks! The post took longer to assemble than it took to replace the trim piece. I'm sold on 303 as I use it for my E28 and various watercraft. Otherwise, Various 3M marine products seem to work well as they are made for harsh conditions.

I don't like trim in this condition either. I've had the 540 for six weeks now and am just working down the list. I have 3 more DIYs ready to write up before I do my VCs and likely Valley Pan.

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    89' 325i & 99' 540i/6
    Nice writeup. I just did mine this weekend and I wish I had that curved pick tool. I'm thinking I will have to do it again because the new trim isn't flush, I think the is still some debris that I didn't get out where that tool would have been useful

Anyone know what the part number is for the rubber trim down by the hoot that you used the plastic trim tool to raise. Mine is very brittle right now.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by djaxis View Post
    Nice writeup. I just did mine this weekend and I wish I had that curved pick tool. I'm thinking I will have to do it again because the new trim isn't flush, I think the is still some debris that I didn't get out where that tool would have been useful

Anyone know what the part number is for the rubber trim down by the hoot that you used the plastic trim tool to raise. Mine is very brittle right now.
    Thanks! Yes, clean is good in this case. No debris is good. Soapy water and cleaning the window edge made it a breeze to install.

As far as that rubber piece, maybe part # 9 shown below.

09 COVERING LEFT151718193201$7.59
    09 COVERING RIGHT151718193202$7.59

Cheers!

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBMWs View Post
    Thanks! Yes, clean is good in this case. No debris is good. Soapy water and cleaning the window edge made it a breeze to install.

As far as that rubber piece, maybe part # 9 shown below.

09 COVERING LEFT151718193201$7.59
    09 COVERING RIGHT151718193202$7.59

Cheers!
    You're the man.... i need those two parts. when i replaced my windsheild trim a few months back, i noticed that those two pieces were brittle. i looked briefly on realoem, but didnt find it. thanks. this should be added to the part list in the beginning.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Yup, along with those, I'll also replace Part #3 as that looks like the trim I replaced...

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    yes... i've replaced # 3 before. it was kinda funky, along with my wiper arms. i did all that at the same time. cant believe i missed those two rubber pieces though.

My Cars
    98 e320
    nice, i need to do this mod as well

Widebody-----W210-----SOLD
    www.europrojektz.com
    Current line up........e30=sold, bmw e39, lexus es300

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Nice write up. I think i will have to do this soon myself. And also, did you get those Rubber Buffer Bavauto is selling that you NEED for the wieldshield replacement.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Constructo003 View Post
    Nice write up. I think i will have to do this soon myself. And also, did you get those Rubber Buffer Bavauto is selling that you NEED for the wieldshield replacement.
    Nope.

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    1997 528i
    I was going to get new windshield trim for my car and i found it for about $40 at the dealership but they told me not to do it withought relacing the windshield. My question is, is the Trim holding up and is it in there pretty tight so it won't come out?
    Last edited by Constructo003; 02-12-2009 at 02:01 PM.

My Cars
    1999 528iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Constructo003 View Post
    I was going to get new windshield trim for my car and i found it for about $40 at the dealership but they told me not to do it withought relacing the windshield. My question is, is the Trim holding up and is it in there pretty tight so it won't come out?
    The dealer is wrong (as usual?)
    Windshield adhesive is holding the windshield in place, not the trim.
    The dealer wants to sell you a new windshield!

I haven't searched - but I haven't seen a post titled:
    "Help - I popped out my windshield while trying to replace the trim!"
    ...at least not yet...
    I can't believe I've had my 528iA sport 14 years and counting . . .

My Cars
    1997 528i
    I didn't mean its holding in the windshield.I am just trying to figure out if the trim is going to be held it good without falling out

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast