Thread: Vanos Seal Success....

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring

Vanos Seal Success....

Did my vanos seals last night. The job from start to finish took 5hrs, and what a difference. There was quite a bit of play on both the intake and exhaust side of the piston. You can really tell when you put the new seals on because they are a lot harder to get in. Anyway, I had the classic symptoms. Idle jolts in cold weather, and hesitation when accelerating. Both fixed. I totally recomend doing this. It's quite easy especially with Besian very cautiously walking you through every step of the way. Feel free to ask any questions.

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Congrats too you--those new seals will really make a difference in enjoying the car
    They bring the car back to life imo.

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    Congrats, one of the best repairs around for our cars. Be prepared for another pleasant surprise when in ~500 miles you get some low-end torque back!

My Cars
    2002 525i
    If i took this to a mechanic how much should this cost? I know it is super ez but I have no skills nor confidence.

My Cars
    1999 528iA Sport
    I was quoted $675 including the kit from beisan.
    I can't believe I've had my 528iA sport 14 years and counting . . .

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by x13alle12x View Post
    If i took this to a mechanic how much should this cost? I know it is super ez but I have no skills nor confidence.
    Here in Panama $ 90.00 US Dollars + Beisan Seals + Shipping = around $ 150.00 US Dollar......

EDIT: Mechanic labor US $90.00 + Beisan Seals + Shipping + Valve cover gasket US $ 55.00 + Gasket for vanos/camshaft cover on cylinder head US $ 15.00 = around US $ 235.00
    Last edited by jdjg; 12-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by x13alle12x View Post
    Up here in Canada it's about $100 per hour and it should take a mechanic about 3 or 4 hrs. $60 for the Besian kit plus about another $100 for miscelaneous seals and gaskets. If you take it to a dealer they will probably put in a new vanos unit which could get very expensive with labour.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by gmobile View Post
    Up here in Canada it's about $100 per hour and it should take a mechanic about 3 or 4 hrs. $60 for the Besian kit plus about another $100 for miscelaneous seals and gaskets. If you take it to a dealer they will probably put in a new vanos unit which could get very expensive with labour.
    U r right, dealer DO NOT change vanos seals..........
    I do my vanos seals job with an indy mechanic, came to my home on saturday, and take aprox. 3 hours.

My Cars
    1999 528iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    U r right, dealer DO NOT change vanos seals..........
    I do my vanos seals job with an indy mechanic, came to my home on saturday, and take aprox. 3 hours.
    +1, my quote was from a BMW specialty shop - not a dealer.
    I can't believe I've had my 528iA sport 14 years and counting . . .

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread! Congrats! I need this done!!!!!

My Cars
    01 530i white
    bmw of watertown, ct quoted me $300 to install the seals, without the vanos gasket itself, which isn't too bad. didn't have it done yet, think i'm going to try to tackle it myself in the spring.

My Cars
    2008 e92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by 01530iWhite View Post
    bmw of watertown, ct quoted me $300 to install the seals, without the vanos gasket itself, which isn't too bad. didn't have it done yet, think i'm going to try to tackle it myself in the spring.
    def do it yourself... it really is an easy thing just taking things apart and putting them back together... i directions from besiansystems are straight forward. Before tackling my vanos seals ive never even changed a pair of brake pads in my life nor ever performed an oil change... it also feels good knowing you saved about 500 dollars and did it yourself