Thread: Rear end gave up the ghost

My Cars
    97 BMW 740iL, 97 Rover 4.0SE + Custom Jeeps

Rear end gave up the ghost

So I'm driving to church this morning with the kids in tow, and for the first time ever, I am actually on time. I pull onto the main highway, pass a slow car, come around a curve, and then all I have is RPM's. No clank, no snap, no grinding, no crunch. No forward movement either. I coasted into the parking lot at the local hospital where I sat and waited for someone to come pick us up. While waiting, I shut the car off and let it sit, in hopes that when I started it back up it would work enough for me to limp it back home. No luck, however, I heard a whining noise coming from the underside of the car after I put it in drive. I peek under to check, and my driveshaft is spinning!!!! Put the car in park....get a little grinding, so I throw back into N and shut the car off and then put in P. get out, with the car in park.....and roll it into a parking space. This is not good!!!!! Without looking into the rear housing yet, anyone have any ideas? No forward, and no reverse. Ergo, I don't think it is a joint or axle shaft, as I should have at least SOMETHING with even only one shaft. Can't imagine my rear carrier breaking, nor shearing all the teeth off. Just doesn't seem logical. I was only doing about 35 when I went around the curve, and driving as easy as could be. Any ideas guys?

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    There is a good chance that your axle shaft popped out. Your car does not have an LSD (limited slip Diff) so both wheels are not powered.

Found this in another post...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhstealth
    Hey everyone. Alrite so im posteing this for my friend because he doesnt have an account here and his computer is broken. But anyway so he has a black on black 750il and he was driving to his school the other day. all of a sudden when he went to pull it in the car wouldnt move the engine revved up and it just didnt move. Then last nite we went to take it out again he pulled the car out backed into a spot to take pics of it and the car wouldnt move when he went to go forward. When he put it into park we heard a sort of grinding noise like a shaft spinning and rubbing against metal. So then we took the car and lifted the passenger rear up when he went to spin the wheel it spun freely so we then lifted the driver rear up. When he did that he sort of picked the wheel up we heard a pop and then he lowered the car and it then worked. Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Any help would be perfect thanks allot.

Axle shafts can pop in and out causing this to happen. You'll need to pop them out and inspect the shaft. If the splines don't apperar to damaged, . You should replace the retaining rings inside the diff, not that hard.
    If the splines are damaged, diff and flanges need to be replaced; $$$$$.

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    Chief Jimbo, THANK YOU for the ray of hope! I haven't put the rear in the air yet, as I just got it home a minute ago. My question is, if it popped out once, what is there to keep it from popping out again? Should I just replace the retainer ring, or put it back together as is and hope for the best. I just hate to forego a $40 ring and get stuck with a $200 tow bill down the road. What do you think?

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    If it were my car I would inspect the shafts and if not damaged I would replace the retainer ring.. It would be money well spent and not havig to worry about it again for a long while is priceless.

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    Advice taken! I just raised the car on my Jack and the passenger side has definately separated. There is about a 2-3 inch gap where the shaft goes into the rear diff. Only problem now is that I can't use my Jack under the A-arm as once I position the jack, there isn't enough room to move the jack lever up and down. I had to raise it by the rear jack pad. Gonna try and figure a better way tomorrow morning. I think I am just gonna raise the car with the jack on the jack pad, and then stick a stand under the rear a-arm. Hopefully that will work things out well enough to tap it back in. Being that I know absolutely zero about IRS, is the retainer ring something that I can put on the CV shaft and slide it back in, or do I need to pull the rear diff cover and install it from the inside like a c-clip on a solid axle?

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    You can always check it all out like this guy did.. http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1432
    and just see what happens.. Looks like the clip is on the CV shaft..

My Cars
    07 Lariat, 06 mustang GT
    chief are the e38/e39 rear diffs interchangeable?

1995 740iA. Dinan DME. Kenwood Exelon system. Kicker Competition subs. DSP bypass. Servotronic bypass. ASA JH9 18" Wheels. Cherry Bomb exhaust. Resonator delete. 99-01 Euro crystal tailights. Xenon angel eye headlights w/ mild facelift. Kidney grills.