Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My key wont reprogram! ARGH!

My Cars
    540i/6, e30, Z3 Coupe
    Sorry to bump an old thread.

I lost my primary three button key to my 95 540i, bought a new one from the dealer and tried both programing sequences. I haven't had any luck with ether of them. Position 1 is the run position correct? Position 2 is crank? Is the next step to tow the car in to the dealer? I've tried each sequences 3 times
    Last edited by 02stu; 07-16-2010 at 10:19 AM.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by 02stu View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread.

I lost my primary three button key to my 95 540i, bought a new one from the dealer and tried both programing sequences. I haven't had any luck with ether of them. Position 1 is the run position correct? Position 2 is crank? Is the next step to tow the car in to the dealer? I've tried each sequences 3 times

You may have an "Inistialization Block" if you tried the initialization process with the door open. possibly the trunk,hood or glove boxx too or disconnected the rearview mirror harness.

Read here about it. If this is the problem most dealerships perhaps all will be unable to help . May try calling Turner and asking them what is needed so you can source it in your area.

Last edited by jehu; 07-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    540i/6, e30, Z3 Coupe
    Update: Initialization blocks can be fixed by the dealer, apparently there was a period when they could only be fixed by shops, like Turner, that had the proper cassette. My dealer charged me 1 hour of labor ($125) to remove the block.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by 02stu View Post
    Update: Initialization blocks can be fixed by the dealer, apparently there was a period when they could only be fixed by shops, like Turner, that had the proper cassette. My dealer charged me 1 hour of labor ($125) to remove the block.

The Dealer near me didn't have the equipment when i asked about it . Good that you found one who did. Turner still only charged my $45 to do it.

My Cars
    540i/6, e30, Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    The Dealer near me didn't have the equipment when i asked about it . Good that you found one who did. Turner still only charged my $45 to do it.
    My dealer had a hard time, it took them all morning. They had completely killed the battery when all was said and done.

My Cars
    e34 540i
    Haha!!!! Holy crap, I honestly did not expect this to work, but I was just messing around with my Carsoft cable I got off ebay a while back. I've been trying for weeks to get GT1/DIS working so I can remove my initialization block but have been unsuccessful. So I decided to just mess around with the carsoft software, finally got it working.

I wasn't expecting to be able to remove the block so I didn't even bother plugging the rear view mirror receiver back in, ran a diagnostic, it said everything was fine, but I said what the hell...and cleared the error codes on the DWA module even though there were none present.

I plugged the receiver in, tried to initialize my key, and sure enough it worked!!!!!!

My Cars
    E34sx5
    That would be awesome. Except, I parted the car out.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i Sedan
    Very interesting info.... I have also had issues since I've owned the car and haven't been able to overcome the lack of central locking operation via the key.... Some good hints and tips in here to try when I get home!!

I'm thinking mine is also in 'Lock' mode so I may have to find someone to sort that for me firstly.

My Cars
    E34 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by modenaf1 View Post
    Haha!!!! Holy crap, I honestly did not expect this to work, but I was just messing around with my Carsoft cable I got off ebay a while back. I've been trying for weeks to get GT1/DIS working so I can remove my initialization block but have been unsuccessful. So I decided to just mess around with the carsoft software, finally got it working.

I wasn't expecting to be able to remove the block so I didn't even bother plugging the rear view mirror receiver back in, ran a diagnostic, it said everything was fine, but I said what the hell...and cleared the error codes on the DWA module even though there were none present.

I plugged the receiver in, tried to initialize my key, and sure enough it worked!!!!!!
    Can you elaborate on what you did with the mirror and the carsoft program? I really would like to get mine up and working. I have the ebay carsoft program too. Do you just unplug the mirror, reset, and plug the mirror back in?

Ace

My Cars
    e34 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Can you elaborate on what you did with the mirror and the carsoft program? I really would like to get mine up and working. I have the ebay carsoft program too. Do you just unplug the mirror, reset, and plug the mirror back in?

Ace

Mine became blocked out because I did the autodim mirror swap and didn't have the mirror plugged in to begin with. But yes, using carsoft I reset the error codes on the DWA module, not by intention, my mirror just happened to NOT be plugged in at the time.

After that I got in the car, closed the door, put the key in and turned it to position 1 for a split second, took the key out, held down the unlock button and pressed lock 3 times. Sure enough my door locks cycled and the key works now!

My Cars
    95 540/6
    Dang!!! This should be in the DIY threads. Major help.
    "For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve and to conquer" ARNOLD

My Cars
    E34 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by modenaf1 View Post
    Mine became blocked out because I did the autodim mirror swap and didn't have the mirror plugged in to begin with. But yes, using carsoft I reset the error codes on the DWA module, not by intention, my mirror just happened to NOT be plugged in at the time.

After that I got in the car, closed the door, put the key in and turned it to position 1 for a split second, took the key out, held down the unlock button and pressed lock 3 times. Sure enough my door locks cycled and the key works now!
    Not sure if this the same situation as we all had but I'm willing to give it a try and report back. It is well known that using an autodim mirror can mess with the alarm system. Did you swap it back to the original or it's still the autodim one? Most of our situation deals with the alarm being set off, not being able to turn it off, and had to put the key into position 1 to disable the alarm.

But wish me luck this weekend and I'll do a writeup if it works!

Ace

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i Sedan
    What's the deal with the autodim mirror? I suspect that mine does not actually work as I can't notice any difference when driving at night? Is it really noticeable when a vehicle is behind you?

I'm wondering if the mirror could be the reason I can't get my key to code?

Mitch

My Cars
    '90 BMW 525i Heirloom
    Hey Guys, I have found the eprom chip in the square single button remote with a single red led (new Battery), but I can't find a place to put it. I have looked under the back seat and in the engine compartment and nothing yet. Help please!?
    John

My Cars
    e30 328i/e34 540i
    Same issue as the OP a 9/95 540i with teh block style 3 button key with no LED on it. I Replaced the battery and attempted the procedure from online write ups. No luck, I think from reading this thread the "lock" is on is there any way to know if it has been tripped without taking it to the dealer? Is there a light or error code? Any help is appriciated just want to enjoy my keyless entry.

Thanks.
    1995 540i/6 Calypso/Parchment
    1991 328i/5 Granite Silver/Crimson M52/ZF

540i/6 Facebook Group
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/255094164524598/

My Cars
    525iT e34 325iT e30
    Anyone know how to reinitialize the stiletto key?

Mine's not working :/

BMW E34 Touring 92/8 525/5 Electrical black sports leather, 3.73 LSD. Black on black
    BMW E30 Touring 89/3 325/5 Manual black sports leather, 3.91 LSD. Diamond Black on black
    - From sweden yah b0rk b0rk b0rk -

My Cars
    525iT e34 325iT e30
    Anyone know how to reinitialize the stiletto key?

Mine's not working :/

BMW E34 Touring 92/8 525/5 Electrical black sports leather, 3.73 LSD. Black on black
    BMW E30 Touring 89/3 325/5 Manual black sports leather, 3.91 LSD. Diamond Black on black
    - From sweden yah b0rk b0rk b0rk -

My Cars
    95 BMW 540i/6 Black
    I have the Same issue as the OP a 5/95 540i with the block style rubber 3 button key with no LED on it. The rubber buttons all chewed up so i replaced them and put new batteries.Replaced the key batteries and attempted the same procedure listed above. No luck, it used to lock all doors and chirp. What is the deal?

Thanks.

My Cars
    BMWs
    The deal is no alarm anymore. I have been in this position for the almost 2 years. My car was armed and key died. So i unlocked it manually and the alarm went on. Had to get a tow home.

First attempt to fixing it was to take the DWA module under the rear seat out but loose OBC. After few months of that I found a procedure of how to emergency disarm the alarm which can only be cleared with a GT1 computer i believe. Since then i have OBC, but non functional key. I couldn't reprogram mine initially as well and I only have 1 key.
    Current: '88 E28 ///M5 Schwarz/Natur | '84 E23 745i Arktisblau/Biege | '95 E34 525iT S50/5 AlpineweissIII/Pergament | '11 E70 X5 Alpine/Savannah | '05 G55k Schwarz/Schwarz

Past: '83 E28 533i/5 Schwarz/Schwarz | '85 E23 745i Diamantschwarz/Buffalo | '95 E34 540i/6 Hellrot/Pergament | '00 E39 ///M5 SchwarzII/Schwarz | '15 RAMME 1500 4x4 Sport Weiss/Schwarz

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I bought my car with no remote/transponder. After setting up my GT1 system yesterday, I played with the car the whole today. It's an amazing system.

My remote also wouldn't initialize with the alarm. I tried resetting the DWA module and nothing happened. Plugged in another DWA module same thing. After about 4-5 hours of trying various options and things, from resetting faults to recoding the system, came upon instructions disabling the initialization block. The block is done to the reciever/mirror, and has nothing to do with the alarm/dwa module. Turned off the block in the mirror and the key initialized on the first attempt. The alarm works perfectly fine now.

Anyone local that needs this done, let me know. I believe it can also be done if you send your mirror to have the block removed, but have to make sure of that. If that's what the issue is, then I'm willing to unlock them for free as long as you pay shipping both ways.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    e30 328i/e34 540i
    Man I could really use that. Please let me know if you find that is the issue and we can work out shipping. Are the mirrors vehicle specific? Meaning if you had one could you unblock it and send it and then have a "core" sent back? Just curious I could also pay shipping if it came to it.

Thanks and good luck this fixing this issue would make owning the car that much better.
    1995 540i/6 Calypso/Parchment
    1991 328i/5 Granite Silver/Crimson M52/ZF

540i/6 Facebook Group
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/255094164524598/

My Cars
    E34 540i/6
    I'd be interested as well since I have the same problem for a while. On the same token, how did you acquire a GT 1 system? I'm thinking that with the alarm on the frits for the foreseeable future, I may need that service a few times.

Ace

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    I bought my car with no remote/transponder. After setting up my GT1 system yesterday, I played with the car the whole today. It's an amazing system.

My remote also wouldn't initialize with the alarm. I tried resetting the DWA module and nothing happened. Plugged in another DWA module same thing. After about 4-5 hours of trying various options and things, from resetting faults to recoding the system, came upon instructions disabling the initialization block. The block is done to the reciever/mirror, and has nothing to do with the alarm/dwa module. Turned off the block in the mirror and the key initialized on the first attempt. The alarm works perfectly fine now.

Anyone local that needs this done, let me know. I believe it can also be done if you send your mirror to have the block removed, but have to make sure of that. If that's what the issue is, then I'm willing to unlock them for free as long as you pay shipping both ways.
    Sounds very interesting! What cable did you use from the computer to the car?
    Current: '88 E28 ///M5 Schwarz/Natur | '84 E23 745i Arktisblau/Biege | '95 E34 525iT S50/5 AlpineweissIII/Pergament | '11 E70 X5 Alpine/Savannah | '05 G55k Schwarz/Schwarz

Past: '83 E28 533i/5 Schwarz/Schwarz | '85 E23 745i Diamantschwarz/Buffalo | '95 E34 540i/6 Hellrot/Pergament | '00 E39 ///M5 SchwarzII/Schwarz | '15 RAMME 1500 4x4 Sport Weiss/Schwarz

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BeLiQ View Post
    Sounds very interesting! What cable did you use from the computer to the car?
    Gert's ADS/OBD interface

Quote Originally Posted by MightyWhitey View Post
    Man I could really use that. Please let me know if you find that is the issue and we can work out shipping. Are the mirrors vehicle specific? Meaning if you had one could you unblock it and send it and then have a "core" sent back? Just curious I could also pay shipping if it came to it.

Thanks and good luck this fixing this issue would make owning the car that much better.
    It should plug right into any 540i, then I can have the lock removed.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    I'd be interested as well since I have the same problem for a while. On the same token, how did you acquire a GT 1 system? I'm thinking that with the alarm on the frits for the foreseeable future, I may need that service a few times.

Ace
    GT1 is just a Gert's interface cable, an older laptop, and a bunch of software that can be had from the Diagnostics section of bimmerforums.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 09-26-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    Gert's ADS/OBD interface
    I was wondering should I go with this

BMW INPA / Ediabas OBD & ADS Interface

But seems like the Gert one is getting pretty high feedback on the diagnostic forum.

Thanks for the info!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast