Thread: Pillar and Headliner Removal Q's

My Cars
    2012 135i

Pillar and Headliner Removal Q's

For those of you who have removed these, any tips on the best way to go about uninstalling them? Any advice on removing these pieces in general?

My Cars
    01 540i
    I have only taken off the front pillar covers. Pop off the plastic caps, and there will be a torx there. After you remove that, you have to gently pry it off. I wound up breaking the tab in the middle because it is so fragile.

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    For the C-Pillars, I used this page, starting at the "Removal of rear parcel shelf" heading.

For a general tip, I would use clean, proper panel pulling tools so you don't damage or dirty the fabric.

My Cars
    2012 135i
    I'm planning on wrapping the pillars and headliner in alcantara, that's the purpose of the whole removal.

My gf's little bro did it to his M3 over the weekend but I wasn't there to see how it was done. He's going to work on it with me whenever we decide to start, but we were trying to gauge how hard it would be to remove all the pieces to begin with.

Thanks for the help

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by RedExX5 View Post
    I'm planning on wrapping the pillars and headliner in alcantara, that's the purpose of the whole removal.

My gf's little bro did it to his M3 over the weekend but I wasn't there to see how it was done. He's going to work on it with me whenever we decide to start, but we were trying to gauge how hard it would be to remove all the pieces to begin with.

Thanks for the help
    PICTURES!

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    i was thinking of doing the same cause im getting all the materials for wholesale... i got a leather dealer thats hooking me up...

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
    i was thinking of doing the same cause im getting all the materials for wholesale... i got a leather dealer thats hooking me up...
    Where'd you meet him, an S&M convention?

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    Where'd you meet him, an S&M convention?
    no after i met your momma she loved it... no STFU
    he makes leather jackets and knows great tanneries... wtf did your dipshit answer come from....

My Cars
    E36 M track car, E30
    when you re wrap the pillar panels they are a bit of a pia to get back on. be real careful getting the snaps to re snap (that sounds real dumb). you have to apply just enough pressure to snap them on, any more and you end up breaking them. i re did my old e39 and ran into this problem. you can get away with breaking one or maybe two any more than that and the panels end up sagging or bowing out and looking like crap

My Cars
    |e39|e30sed|e30coup|
    Quote Originally Posted by JRiggs View Post
    when you re wrap the pillar panels they are a bit of a pia to get back on. be real careful getting the snaps to re snap (that sounds real dumb). you have to apply just enough pressure to snap them on, any more and you end up breaking them. i re did my old e39 and ran into this problem. you can get away with breaking one or maybe two any more than that and the panels end up sagging or bowing out and looking like crap

Do you know what these snap rivets are called, and if they are mostly universal throughout the upper interior?

Thanks,

My Cars
    2012 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by JRiggs View Post

I know I'm going to break at least a few of them. Hopefully when I start doing this, my gf's little bro will be more helpful about getting the things removed without breaking any clips.

Has anyone ever seen a diagram showing exactly where the clips are?

Another option was just to buy all the pieces, either from a junk yard or salvage yard, then try the wrap job and finally do the install. I might still go that route, I just need a long weekend to start the project.

My Cars
    03 m3

it will look sex like this

My Cars
    2012 135i
    One last little question here:

All e39's have the same fitment for the pillars and headliner, correct?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by RedExX5 View Post
    One last little question here:

All e39's have the same fitment for the pillars and headliner, correct?
    Only those e39s without sunroofs or moonroofs use a different headliner, and there are very few of those.

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    so i took it off tonight... i was boared... wow alot of pieces... on the front curtain so the a pillar theres a torx bolt behind it... dont break the middle piece either... im sending them out to get reapholstered dunno how much itss cost but hopefully not that much since i did most of the legwork... also i dont know how to take out the sunroofs lid to do that too... if i cant get that doen i might just dye it or leave it... and do a dark charcoal alcantara on the roof... yayer....
    only thing i want the opinion of is should i get the visors redone in alcantara as well... and should i do a two tone thein with light and dark grey alcantara???

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by RXWLLMSS View Post
    PICTURES!
    look, this is my car
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    PICTURES!
    more

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    PICTURES!
    and more

My Cars
    2012 135i
    Black interior looks so nice all around...

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    the hardest part is getting it off the sunroof... i still dont know how to get off the moon roof cover...