Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with Akebono Euro Ceramic pads - love em

My Cars
    01' 530i
    + what everyone else said i love mine, wont use anything else!

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by DADx2 View Post
    I've got about 80 miles on my Akebono Euro pads..... I DON'T like them yet. I don't know what I had on the car previously since it had what was on there when I bought it, but as of right now, they DO NOT stop as good. I am hoping they get better since all the hype promotes the Euro's...... I am having to apply a fair amount more of pedal pressure to get the same braking force...... I was VERY happy with the way it stopped before, but the brake dust was HORRIBLE, and they were down to the sensors..... Oh do I really hope they get better.....
    Did you properly bed them? I know when i first put mine on, i was disappointed for about 20 miles or so, until i properly bed them. after that, the factory coatings wore off of the new pads and rotors and they stopping power was incredible.

My Cars
    '01 530iA, '05 750Li
    Vendor asked me to return them at my expense....guess I'll have to pay international shipping rates...

I'm gonna see how much its gonna cost or in the trash they go......

makes no economic sense if I have to lose so much on shipping......its cost more than the pads....

So who is gonna help me host the pics?

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    PM sent

My Cars
    '01 530iA, '05 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonswa View Post
    PM sent
    Thank you buddy

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Absolutely love these pads as well...got them on all four corners...great investment!
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Here's your pics JIM. That's rediculous. I've never seen that before.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i
    That is crazy!

I'm thinking of buying these pads in the semi near future while my rotors still have a lot of life. I'll probably wait till the winter is through though.

2003 540iA Titanium Silver

Koni FSD/Eibach Prokit
    PowerFlex Bushings
    CSL Replica wheels 18"
    Intravee II Ipod Interface
    OEM M5 Front Bumper/Umnitza M5 Rear
    Magnaflow 14815 Exhaust

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    it definately came completely off. thats strange. its not a glue issue either because some of the pad is still glued to the metal back. its like the ceramic just cracked through.

My Cars
    '01 530iA, '05 750Li
    Thank for posting the pics for me.

You can see why I am quite disappointed with the rears set.

My indy, never saw anything like this too. He said its worst than made in China parts.......

The vendor is very helpful in get this sorted out, even gave me the approval number to have them sent back to them, but i might not do so since international shipping rates does not make economical sense to me....

After examing the parts again, I am thinking to myself, how can the pad just shear off like that. If it were the front set, then there could be a possiblility due to a lot more stress, but the rears? Hmmmm...

Only logical reason is defect in materials. I emailed the vendor with the pics. I wonder what he thinks?

I was wondering if it was a good idea to use some glue to bond them back together....at least get some more life out of it before I toss them away...

Any suggestion on what type of glue to use?

BTW, to be fair, these are excellent pads, I am very satisfied and happy with the front set. I recommend to anyone who are considering these as a dust-less pads upgrade, or heck, even for performance upgrade...they are excellent with no compromise.....
    Last edited by Jim530i; 11-18-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    I've got about 80 miles on my Akebono Euro pads..... I DON'T like them yet. I don't know what I had on the car previously since it had what was on there when I bought it, but as of right now, they DO NOT stop as good. I am hoping they get better since all the hype promotes the Euro's...... I am having to apply a fair amount more of pedal pressure to get the same braking force...... I was VERY happy with the way it stopped before, but the brake dust was HORRIBLE, and they were down to the sensors..... Oh do I really hope they get better.....
    I had the same issue, It took mine about 300-400 miles before I liked them. I talked to the vendor and they said it takes some time with used rotors. The rotors will take on a blackish shade when they have bedded.
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    00' 328i/540iT, 11' 335D
    The pads you took off were OEM BMW pads. Very sitcky, great grip but also very dusty. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. EVERY low dust pad will have less initial bite (which is what you are noticing) than the dusty OEM pads. The Akebonos seem to have the best initial bite of the low dust pads thus the reason why most people like them. Also you typically get better braking performance from a nearly (not fully) worn out pad than a new one (less pad material to compress). The akebonos will slowly improve over time, but NEVER have the bite of OEM. I have them on our 540 and would use them again. Give it a bit more time. You may or may not reach the same conclusion.

My Cars
    '99 540iT; Porsche 944

Question

I've read alot on the warm weather performance of these pads but of course we can't all live in warm areas so does anyone have experience with the cold weather performance of the pads? Ie: what is the bite like at startup on a very cold morning?

Who has the best prices for these pads?

My Cars
    540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADBM View Post
    + what everyone else said i love mine, wont use anything else!
    +1
    Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12