Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KW Coilovers

My Cars
    C4S

KW Coilovers

Does anyone have any experience, directly, or indirectly, with KW coilover suspension?

see here for info: http://www.kwsuspensions.com/

I'm considering varient 2 or 3, with varient 2 being single adjustable, and 3 is dual. I do know that V2 and V3 use Konis, but I'm not sure what springs thay use.

Anyway... I've looked around on the boards and can't find anything bad about them, so any additional information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks...

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

on order

I've had V3 on order for three weeks now,along with a supersprint exhaust.Exhaust should be shipping next week.Still no word on the coilovers.I too have read nothing bad about them,but I know of no one with a BMW that has them.Done many searches,but come up with nothing.Price for supersprint is 430 euro each side,V2 coilovers were 1080 euro.Have since change order to V3,but no final price yet.$1.00=.84 euro cent.I also get an additional 16% off of total price.
    Last edited by KDB; 07-07-2003 at 03:17 PM.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    C4S
    I too have heard about them being backordered. Not sure why though... So, how does that 16% discount work, and more importantly, how do I get in on it?

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

16% off

Have a form to fill out for merchants here in Gernamy to remove 16% VAT.Only way for someone in US to get in on that is to have someone in Germany purchase the items for them. Do you anyone on Bimmerforums cool enough to do that for you?

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    C4S
    Hummmm... I don't know yet, do I?

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

I know this guy

BOS,
    I know this guy who just might do this for you.He has to stop by there tomorrow after work to check on his order anyway to find out the final price.It may even lower the price for him if there is another set of coilovers to be ordered.I don't know the price for these coilovers in the US,and you can figure out the approx price by my previous post about how much it would cost here.So if you want to know,I(he) could check on it for you.His may not be ready yet,and if will help his price and yours,a little longer wait would be no problem for him.Let him know what you think.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    C4S
    Believe me, I really appreciate the offer, but I need to continue my research. I just really need to make sure I’m picking what I want before I spend the bucks. Maybe you can help all of us by keeping the forum posted on how your experience / install progresses? Even better, help with some sort of group buy in the future… that would be cool.

Thanks again!

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW coilovers

Talked to Mario yesterday about my coilovers and when I would get them.He said I should have them by Friday.I've heard that line before.Monday will make a full month since I placed my order.Also talked to him about a possible group buy.He couldn't give me a price at that time because his chief was not there.I will try to find out more when mine do come in.Don't know how this will work for payment if it does happen.Paypal won't work for me from Germany.Tried a number of times to set up an account back when the PakShack GB was going on.Me shipping them would be no problem,I can use the Military Post Office here.When i receive mine,I will take them to the post office and see how much it would be to send them to Cali so everyone will have some idea of how much shipping would be since its on the best coast.I will post that info,and hopefully some pics of my install,ride impressions.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW coilovers

Finally got my order on Fri.Will install exhaust first,then suspension.Checked on price to ship this set to Gardena,Ca.Priority insured is $107.70,time is 7 to 10 days.Parcel post is $52.38,4 to 6 weeks.Please excuse Shadow's boner,he got a little excited.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW coilovers

one more pic.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    03 BMW Z4 3.0I...01 Z3 Coupe-sold 325ix-sold
    lucky man! Great choices.

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    Are those swaybar end links? Did those come with the kit? Also how much adj. do you have on lowering?
    Thanks, Scott.
    Iandsprecisiontire.com

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW coilovers

Yes,the end links came with the kit.25-50mm adjustment front and rear.Don't know the front or rear spring rates yet,but will try to find out.Rear adjusters don't have locking device like GC,but I don't think they will move under load.Guess I"ll find that out later.Also need a 3mm allen key to adjust bump on the botton.V3's are the double adjustables for those not familiar with KW.Components look well made.Hope they work as well as they look.
    Last edited by KDB; 07-27-2003 at 04:37 PM.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW coilovers

One more pic.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

I have the V2 on my coupe, make sure to use the correct spacers to run with your rims !

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    That last pic. looks like the helper spring should be installed at the bottom of the strut housing, No?
    Iandsprecisiontire.com

My Cars
    C4S
    Those look great! Let us know how they work out.

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW coilovers

Kjestam-Thanks for the heads up.I should be ok with the PG2 18's.How do you like the V2's.Some guy in a C black/imola m stopped to check my coupe out as he was leaving Zeissler BMW in Lampertheim.We checked out oneanothers rides and briefly chatted in his broken English and my broken German.He had V2's also.Mine with lowering springs seemed to be a little lower than his .He thought I had CO's on.He also had some beautiful 19in BBS CH wheels.Stunning on that black car.

ScottMC-They're set up correctly.

Bos-When are you gettin' yours.

Later all.
    Last edited by KDB; 08-30-2003 at 03:34 AM.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    C4S
    I know... I know...

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW Coilovers(long)

Have had the c/o on since Aug 2.All I can say is I wish I had it done earlier!Car feels so much better in the ride dept. now.I can also say the bump adjustment works as advertised.There is this one spot, near my house that I would always take the long way around just to avoid this one bump.Since my wife and I installed the KW's,I don't try to avoid this spot any longer.Used to cause quite a bit of drama for me.Hated to hear that slammin' WHAM the two times I made the mistake going over it.Now it just one little thunk and its all over..Currently have the suspension adjusted somewhere near the middle of bump and rebound settings.Can't remember the specific values.Car rides so much better than with the Hamann lowering springs.Installed Supersprint exhaust also.Actually,my wife did the exhaust install by herself,I just helped hold things up 'til she could get some hardware installed to hold things up.She didn't do much on Saturday,but Sunday she was really helpful.Really good eye for details,and will ask Q's before the FU.Wish I could get her a job working with me,'cause I know she could kick a lot of guys asses I work with.Learned how to use that floor jack like a pro after watching me do most of the suspension by myself the first day using it to get things alinged .As for spring rates,all I could coax out of KW reps was:Front axle 70NM-170mm.Rear axle-KW 2002 Individual Designse Race Spring.I see they also have a GB going here for KW's.I don't know if I have street or competition valving for my c/o.Tried to contact the guy I got them from,but he is on ulap(vacation) 'til the first of Sept.No track time yet,and not for the near future,sinc I am off to the sand box(Iraq) by the end of the week for a spell.No alignment yet either,no need for that 'til I get back.Kjestam,I did need spacers too.Had to get a friend to bail me out because my wheels rubbed on the shock height adjusters nut.Started out with a 15mm spacer,but wheels would rub inner fender liner on full lock turns.12mm spacer works better,just very minor rub at the extreme.I think the 10mm will be just the ticket with no rubbing issues at all.Really easy to install this system if you don't have stock springs and need spring compressors.You need to reuse the plates that come off the stock suspension,and when you remove or install the bearing on top,use a impact wrench.Just run that sumbitch(nut) down til it stops and you will be ok.Trying to use a ratchet and torque wrench is a waste of time.Arrows on the bearing to the front of the car,you can see this through the shock tower mount.Wish I had more pics,but left camera at home onday two when installing exhaust and adjusting ride height.On the pic of my car,the car sets about the same as it did with the lowering springs.Rear adjuster is turned all the way down.No corner balancing done either.I don't think that makes much difference.Why get the car set up for 1/2 tank of gas and me in it to get it balanced,then put a passenger or instructor in the car to throw that balance off.Seems like a waste of time and money.Others have their thoughts on this and I have mine.Hope I covered something that will help another if they choose to do the install instead of going to a shop.I had a lift and floor jacks.Jacks and a 2x4 are a big help in getting front suspension aligned to bolt in place.Use your brain,not your brawn.Don't be afraid to try this yourself,its really easy.I think my wife could do this now by herself.But she's not for hire. :

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW Coilovers pic

Reuse this plate. Is this what some call a hat?Whatever it's called,it goes back in.
    Last edited by KDB; 08-24-2003 at 12:51 AM.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe

KW Coilovers pic

Coilover going in.Don't know how to do multiple pics post yet.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    Is there any way you can comment on the spring rates?

See this thread:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...11#post1252011

It looks like you went with the V2's rather than the V3's?

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe
    Look at earlier pics in this thread.These are V3's.Height,rebound and bump adjustable.I talk about this at the start of the long post.Pic of the car was too big.Have to resize it later
    Last edited by KDB; 08-20-2003 at 03:56 PM.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

My Cars
    '73 2002,2002 Mcoupe
    Re-size on the pic.

Keith
    '73 2002
    2002 Steel Gray Mcoupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast