Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rear disk brake conversion

My Cars
    79 elky, 320 Turbo

rear disk brake conversion

perhaps my memory is foggy but wasn't someone working on a rear disk brake conversion that was less expensive than the ebay kits or buying 323 rear control arms? Did it happen?
    Originally Posted by jrhaileYou know, it's time like this that brings a tear to my eye about this community: We all tuned in to support a fellow BMW driver elude the po-po. In the end, there is only one winner here: bimmerfourms.com and its members. I hope one day when I'm doing 150mph down the freeway that you will all support me, as did this fellow enthusiast. Drive on bimmerheads, drive on
    The first freedom is not speech, or guns or religion. It's choice.
    320I building enough boost to run air tools..on CIS, waiting for my rear diff to

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    It's not really possible to sell a kit for less. If you make your own of course it is. Nic and I both are working on homemade setups (more theory than actual work in my case). It's really a simple problem, but nothing is cheap these days.

My Cars
    83 320i (M20 Powa)
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    It's not really possible to sell a kit for less. If you make your own of course it is. Nic and I both are working on homemade setups (more theory than actual work in my case). It's really a simple problem, but nothing is cheap these days.

i really dont know much but wouldnt we just need someone to make adapter brackets to fit e30 rear calipers on a rotor that would fit? that shouldnt be too hard right?

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    not hard, but machine work is expensive.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    83 320i (M20 Powa)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    not hard, but machine work is expensive.
    not if your still in school and can do it for a class

does someone know where i could get some specs on the e30 caliper and disc? i cant seem to find anything
    Last edited by BoomerDJ; 11-14-2008 at 02:05 AM.

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    someone get this man some specs, please! i would be more than happy to 'demo' a set for you, dj

My Cars
    83 320i (M20 Powa)
    Quote Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
    someone get this man some specs, please! i would be more than happy to 'demo' a set for you, dj
    so would i haha, if the brackets are all that need to be made to fit e30 calipers, well then i plan on doing this and plan on selling the pieces or the specs of the pieces for cheap enough for all e21 goers to enjoy the performance and safety of 4 discs

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    No parking brake = no pass inspection.

My Cars
    79 & 81 323i Baur
    Yeah, people were talking or have used VW rear calipers this allows for an easy parking brake fix. Do a search for what model.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    I have postponed all goodie projects until the car is back from the booth, reassembled and driving.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dhlthr View Post
    Yeah, people were talking or have used VW rear calipers this allows for an easy parking brake fix. Do a search for what model.
    Yes I know, this is what 2002parts.com sells. (also on ebay I think) If you add up the cost of all the components though, you're left with about $100 for the customs brackets. It's a fair price, and unless you make the brackets with your own hands or find the calipers really cheap you can't save any money.

I think its worth noting that no one on this forum NEEDS rear disk brakes.

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    nobody really 'needs' any mod they do to their car, but that doesn't stop us

My Cars
    e21 320i
    e21 320i aka "Sharky" -.- restoring the best car in the world!

My Cars
    83 320i (M20 Powa)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhlthr View Post
    does anyone know what vw calipers are used, i email that guy a long time ago and he would sell the brackets for 100, but would not tell me any information about any of the parts in the kit, obvious business move of course, but is anyone running his setup?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    HA I probably know that better than anyone, I was just pointing out that there's no use moaning about the cost when you can simply opt to not buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerDJ View Post
    does anyone know what vw calipers are used, i email that guy a long time ago and he would sell the brackets for 100, but would not tell me any information about any of the parts in the kit, obvious business move of course, but is anyone running his setup?
    I think someone told which models they fit the last time we talked about this. They were quite expensive new if I recall.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Depends on what you do with your car. Tell me that next time you're going 115 down the back stretch of your local track.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    83 320i (M20 Powa)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    Depends on what you do with your car. Tell me that next time you're going 115 down the back stretch of your local track.
    i do plan on tracking my car once eveything is tuned so rear disc are in the picture

My Cars
    e21
    Slightly off topic. In addition to the trailing arms, calipers, lines, and rotors what else is needed to do this swap. Any help is appreciated.

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo
    Thats the main reason why I have questioned not using the e30 rear calipers.
    Is there a work around for this????

PS: my 323i does have rear disks...but I want to upgrade.
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Vented drums... Doooo it.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    81 318i..eurotrashed
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    Vented drums... Doooo it.
    Please explain? *pauline hanson voice*

My Cars
    1974 2002tii
    On the 2002 rear disc conversions you use Golf/Jetta calipers/brackets from MkII's. I would think the Mk III's would also work. I used calipers from an Audi as they were the same. You can also use Golf/Jetta Mk IV calipers (they are aluminum) with the Mk II brackets. Not exactly sure of the years but the Mk IV calipers I have are off a '99 Jetta. The all have the emergency brake built into the calipers so it is just a matter of adapting your emergency brake cables to fit. Mk II stuff is very common in the local pick-n-pull.
    By the way the 2002 conversion uses the Mk I (Rabbit) front rotor and it is 9.6". Mk II and later fronts are all vented discs and will not work with the rear calipers.
    Hope this helps.
    Steve.

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzone View Post
    Please explain? *pauline hanson voice*
    The drums are quite substancial in these things. Now primary problems with these devices of reducing speed, is that they reduce speed and heat up, and then wear unevenly and then just shit themselves. So they used to put cooling fins on them in the olden days, much like you would see on an aircooled 2 stroke motor.

Heres my proposition, and i doubt it would get off the ground but its interesting none the less, instead of having cooling fins that are alligned with the rotational surface of the drum but instead have cross fins that are pointed towards the rims on an angle, taking advantage of the high pressure zone and cutting into the air and cooling the drums. of course you would have to cast them, and by then you have hyper improved drums, but they are still drums. You would have turbine drums...

I guess with a rear disk conversion it leaves opportunities for such kits like from the big brake people.

But whatever goes, it was an interesting idea none the less ( for me at least)

Franzen
    Last edited by FranzE21; 11-15-2008 at 10:20 AM.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    60hp E21
    Quote Originally Posted by SRC60 View Post
    On the 2002 rear disc conversions you use Golf/Jetta calipers/brackets from MkII's. I would think the Mk III's would also work. I used calipers from an Audi as they were the same. You can also use Golf/Jetta Mk IV calipers (they are aluminum) with the Mk II brackets. Not exactly sure of the years but the Mk IV calipers I have are off a '99 Jetta. The all have the emergency brake built into the calipers so it is just a matter of adapting your emergency brake cables to fit. Mk II stuff is very common in the local pick-n-pull.
    By the way the 2002 conversion uses the Mk I (Rabbit) front rotor and it is 9.6". Mk II and later fronts are all vented discs and will not work with the rear calipers.
    Hope this helps.
    Steve.

Thanks for the helpful info! That should give us a bit more insight into this conversion.

GC coilovers 350/300 - Bilstein sports - BBS sways - Rota 15x7's - LSD - Poly bushings - Bumper/Interior delete.
    -Philip llllll

My Cars
    1974 2002tii
    On the old solid axle Corvettes, they used a cooling fan that fit between the axle flange and the drum. It was stamped metal and would pull air in the large openings cut in the backing plates. The openings had screens to keep debris out. This was used on the race cars of this period.
    Still no where near as good as disc brakes for disappating heat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast