Thread: Water, water everywhere

My Cars
    Z3 2.8 1998

Unhappy Water, water everywhere

Had a 98 2.8 for 3 weeks now, and the footwells are filling up with water. No leaks from above, hood rail seems tight, rubber seals all ok and the triangular plugs at the top of the A post are sealed. The driver (right side) well is not as wet as the passenger side, which may be significant (or not) as the rubber sealing strip on the driver side sill spurts out water through the drain holes when squeezed, whereas the passenger side doesn't. It's getting wetter as it stands out in the rain today, engine not running so it can't be heater or a/c.
    Do the sills themselves have drain holes? Help please, I can't drive in wellies.

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    The drain tubes may be blocked. You can see them if you know what you're looking for under the hood, but are damn near impossible to reach. I think you may be able to get to them from underneath. I had the same problem but they must have cleared themselves because I dont have a leak anymore when it rains.

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Short term cover it to stop more water getting in.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    Z3 2.8 1998
    wow that was quick, thanks - so where abouts under the hood (or bonnet as we Brits call it) will I find the drain tubes? I've traded in from a Miata which I knew inside out so I need to learn fast, it's p*****g down over here!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    What happens with those drain tubes? They block up and water is allowed to build up and seep into the ventilation intake?

My Cars
    2002 S54 M Coupe
    Same problem here (I think):

My passenger's side (that's left over here) footwell gets some water under the carpets when washing the car. I've seen it dripping from the ventilation duct aimed at the footwell.

I take it that I should try and clear debris from the engine compartment/hood ducts? I think this means removing the windscreen wipers and the cover below the windscreen?

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    I had the same problem. Here's what happened to me: water was filtering between the windshield and the cover of the wiper blades motor & blower compartment; it was then dripping over the blower and into the footwell.

I solved the problem by replacing the strip with some new one. I have pix at home; I need to upload them

However it could also be this train that get clogged:

There's another one on the driver side.

To flush out (and check if the issue was with the drains) I poured water into the fan assembly

The weather strip I used is this stuff from 3M. I bought it at NAPA

The first time I did it I put it on the edge between the windshield and the car body

I had to take it apart again when I replace the windshield and realized there is a slot on the cowl cover. You actually need to put a strip on the slot which insulate the portion just above the fan assembly.

Since you are in there I would recommend removing the windshield wiper motor assembly and lubricate it (I actually lubricate all the pivot points, but also opened up the motor and lubricate it)

Here's a DIY on how to take access the fan assembly
    Last edited by LPCapital; 11-14-2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins

My Cars
    Z3 2.8 1998

Thumbs up

Thanks for this, I will strip it down tomorrow, I think you are probably spot on cos when I stick my ear next to the dash vent I can hear water splashing around.

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    Let us know how it went once you're done.

When I bought the car it was leaking in the footwell and around both windows... I managed to fix all my water leaks without replacing any gasket (I was actually ready to drop $1300 or so for a new top).

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins

My Cars
    Z3 2.8 1998

Fixed (I think)

Got a new hood (sooner than intended because the window cracked badly) £725 from Northern Car Hoods UK - great service.
    Still got a wet floor.
    Resealed the plastic cowling across the bottom of the windscreen, using silicone. £5.50
    Still got a wet floor.
    Shoved a metre length of plastic wire down the channel in the windscreen side rubber - free and easy.
    The floor is drying out - brilliant!

My Cars
    2002 S54 M Coupe
    How do you get that plastic cowling/cover off, after removing the wipers? I'm unsure what to do with the little plastic tabs and don't want to damage them.

My Cars
    Z3 2.8 1998
    Just gently lever the centre bit of the tabs out with a small screwdriver, then the outer part should pull out with no problem. Managed to do all without damage - good luck.

My Cars
    99 z3c
    This is a pretty good writeup on the topic.