Thread: Second time around...

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport

Second time around...

I'd like some advice on PM for my 2003 540 cooling system. This is my second wagon, and as with my first, it is using coolant but not like the other did. After reading through the forums, it seems these large engines eat water pumps, expansion tanks, etc. I've already replaced the expansion tank, but not the water pump($$). The car currently uses about a cup of coolant every two months, and has 85K miles. Is it worth the cash to go ahead and replace the water pump? I drive 30K miles a year, so my maintenance is heavy!! I don't want to spend more than I already do but the last wagon ate my lunch trying to find a coolant leak and I don't want to repeat that scenario...
    2003 540iT M-sport
    1999 540i Wagon (totaled)
    Def not the soccer mom!

My Cars
    2003 530i
    With the milage your car currently has it's reached the point where you have to invest in the maintance in the car. If you don't do the proper maintance the expenses will be alot more than anticipated. With the milage you put on the car a year won't last very long before alot more things start to go wrong on the car. Having a hefty bill for repairs and parts is what owning a bmw is all about..LOL

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Automotive engines do not consume coolant if working properly. The cooling system is closed. Any usage indicates a problem.

Any halfway decent shop should be able to locate a leak with a pressure tester. That said, ideally you would replace the entire cooling system at once, probably every 60k miles on the V8 cars. By doing it a piece at a time, you are wasting money on additional labor every time the system has to come apart and potentially hastening the failure of the next weakest link in the system.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport
    I understand the $$ involved with owning a 540, I just need the specifics.
    Is pressure testing opening a pandora's box? If I go for that, should I go after the water pump also? OR, given my mileage, which won't end for 5/6 years, is it recommended to go for one under warranty. My local dealer is not reliable, but I do have a great mechanic avail.
    2003 540iT M-sport
    Def not the soccer mom!

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    With all due respect, you seem unwilling to accept the answer provided. The entire cooling system should be replaced. Water pump, radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, fan clutch, pressure cap. Any of these components may fail imminently at the mileage your car has.

Pressure testing, or any other sort of testing for that matter, does not "open Pandora's box," but merely reveals components that have failed. Throwing parts at a problem is the least efficient and costliest way to maintain a car; testing renders this unnecessary.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport
    I came here for advice, not criticism. I am more than willing to perform AND pay for PM with my ride, but the question was specifics, which you did give me, in the end. Finding someone in my area who doesn't charge enormous amounts of $$ for substandard work is difficult and I don't just throw money and time and effort at a problem which, in the end, given my driving requirements is a NO WIN situation. Owning a BMW comes with certain attention to detail, which I most certainly have. This situation occurred with my other wagon and I am trying to head-off and be informed about the problem before I end up stranded on the road.
    2003 540iT M-sport
    Def not the soccer mom!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Hi, I have a '99 540i and at 71K miles did preventative maintenance on my entire cooling system. In doing so I have made an investment for 70K more trouble free miles on my car's cooling system. I had the radiator, thermostat, fan, fan clutch, reservoir, hoses, and the coolant itself. The whole service was done for $1,100.00 which is a deal if you ask me. Now thats something I don't have to worry about.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport

Question spending it in the RIGHT place...

For starters, I'm having it pressure tested next Friday. But I believe the advice here is regardless of the results, I should have it overhauled anyway? So is pressure testing a waste of bennies, or can it sometimes point to problems not normally seen/replaced during a cooling system overhaul?
    2003 540iT M-sport
    Def not the soccer mom!

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bidnesswoman911 View Post
    For starters, I'm having it pressure tested next Friday. But I believe the advice here is regardless of the results, I should have it overhauled anyway? So is pressure testing a waste of bennies, or can it sometimes point to problems not normally seen/replaced during a cooling system overhaul?
    If you are planning on replacing the wp, then you might as well factor in replacing the radiator, coolant (will be drained for removal of wp and good to flush the system), fan clutch (will have to be taken off anyway), and upper/lower radiator hoses. This way you will reduce the redundancy of labor costs of replacing these items down the road. This will give you piece of mind and will eliminate any uncertainties you may have in the future.

You have reached the estimated useful life of the components above and it is only a matter of time before they fail. Although I did not have major problems with leaks on my car, the water pump was starting to leak on the underside on my car at 56K miles. I only noticed this after it was taken off as I am a strong believer in preventative maintenance. Since you rack up many miles on a yearly basis, it might be a good idea to consider the EMP Stewart waterpump instead of the graf, geba, etc. typical pumps. They latter pumps usually have bearing failure (main weakness) and impeller deterioration, typically they have a life of 60K without gambling. The EMP is much more stout, more efficient (15% more flow), and has a lifetime warranty - something to think about. Side by side, there is an obvious difference in construction and quality relative to the others mentioned.

You can see the leak in its infancy in the following link (the wp pics are toward the end): Cooling System Pics
    Last edited by mmm635; 11-04-2008 at 12:06 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport

Talking

Michel:
    That sounds like an excellent approach to take with this overhaul. Should I look into a heavy duty(metal) radiator also? I noticed they were sold alongside the Stewart pumps. Given my mileage and use, now would be the time to rebuild the system with components made for heavy duty use.
    2003 540iT M-sport
    Def not the soccer mom!

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Personally, I would just stick with an OEM radiator since I do my own work. However, since you will be paying someone to do this every 2-3 years with the chance of premature failure looming in the back of your mind from the previous experience (given the V8 history on cooling systems), then it might be a wise financial decision to bite the bullet now and get the heavy duty unit (The cost of the HD radiator will probably be offset by the labor savings of having to install multiple oem radiators in the future). This way you will eliminate the possibility of the plastic on the radiator and expansion tank becoming brittle and rupturing on the interstate in BFE. I do not have any first hand experience with the HD radiator, but hopefully someone can chime in that actually has one. Many of the M3 guys install them in their cars, but I have not seen if there is any long term advantage. The radiator can still be susceptible to buildup, so you will still need to flush the system every couple of years.

I look at the radiator as a "dumb" type component since it has no moving parts and essentially just lets fluid pass through for "passive" cooling. It is really easy/cheap to replace a radiator down the road as you do not need to remove much in order to get it out if one is to do their own work. Just plan on replacing your radiator every 60-80K miles and you should be good for every two to three years if you decide to go this route.
    Last edited by mmm635; 11-04-2008 at 03:29 PM.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by bidnesswoman911 View Post
    I came here for advice, not criticism.
    Advice and criticism are two sides of the same coin; you get both or neither. Particularly as one requesting information in a free forum where the participation of those who possess the information you desire is entirely voluntary.

Oh, and by the way, you're welcome.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav
    In those 2 months, how many miles have you driven? 1 cup of coolant seems like a very minor issue to be concerned with. I top the coolant off in the wife's 98 540 roughly around every 6k miles, which my mechanic says is normal.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Tach Motor Works & JR Tuned - Stage 2+ ~ 306 awhp 328 ft/lbs @ 19psi
    AEM Intake, Process West TMIC, GFB Respons BOV, Invidia Q300 Turboback, Grimmspeed EBCS
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, 30% Tint

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Advice and criticism are two sides of the same coin; you get both or neither. Particularly as one requesting information in a free forum where the participation of those who possess the information you desire is entirely voluntary.

Oh, and by the way, you're welcome.
    x2

I think I addressed the same issues but not taking everyones ADVICE to replace the entire coolant system. Wanting to penny pinch and only replace certain parts is only a temp bandaid.

For that might as well own a honda

My Cars
    01 540i
    It sounds more like a valley pan gasket. She would notice coolant leaking from the front of the motor, and she never stated that was changed.

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport
    I've never seen coolant leaking anywhere from the underside of the engine and I park my car on a clean surface, which I check almost every day.
    Most everyone here is misunderstanding my approach to this repair. As males, I am absolutely sure most of you have not been met with the bs female car owners must deal with when it comes to expensive repairs. Just last month, my dealership told me I required a new ballast($500) for a HID headlight, but I had my body shop check and clean the connection to the ballast, and it works just fine. I am not second guessing ANY of the information you all feel free to give me here, just asking you to explain it. I rely on my car for 30K a year, so it would be absolutely STUPID on my part to NOT repair/maintain my vehicle. That is why I am here...but you all feel free to dogpile on me, when I ask you to explain the reasoning behind your recommendations.
    2003 540iT M-sport
    Def not the soccer mom!

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    In those 2 months, how many miles have you driven? 1 cup of coolant seems like a very minor issue to be concerned with. I top the coolant off in the wife's 98 540 roughly around every 6k miles, which my mechanic says is normal.
    Five to six thousand miles since the beginning of Sept, to the end of November...which sounds like the exact same mileage as yours...I don't see any leaks on the ground ever and I always check. I park my car on a jute rug in my garage, and found a drain plug gasket leak just last week. I PAY ATTENTION, which is what this type of car requires. Thanks for throwing in on this thread, I DO appreciate the info...
    2003 540iT M-sport
    Def not the soccer mom!