Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good way to know if your clutch is going bad?

My Cars
    M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by NiTrOuSoXiDe View Post
    Haha...

Yeah I'm back at work today. I feel a ton better but still kind of weak. The typical feeling you have right after you get over a sickness...

And I'm serious! That is the ONLY time I've ever done d-nuts in my car (and someone else's).

...and it was wet ground so no biggie...

At the time I do believe I was not sobber.
    I WAS SOBBER lol AND GAVE YOU MY KEYS haha
    Powerdyne Supercharger (New, Dinan) JE 9:5:1 pistons, RMS racing head, RMS 36lb injectors, RMS cams (264/256), 9lb pulley, RMS Software, Euro 3.5" HFM, UUC Twin Silencer Exhaust, UUC lightweigh flywheel, Sach HD clutch + more, pics: www.photobucket.com/arek

My Cars
    M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by m32911s View Post
    Only that time my a$$. On a side note hope you're feeling better. And I just noticed the "I am sobber" under your member name...rofl.
    lol, this gave me an idea to add something to my member name
    Powerdyne Supercharger (New, Dinan) JE 9:5:1 pistons, RMS racing head, RMS 36lb injectors, RMS cams (264/256), 9lb pulley, RMS Software, Euro 3.5" HFM, UUC Twin Silencer Exhaust, UUC lightweigh flywheel, Sach HD clutch + more, pics: www.photobucket.com/arek

My Cars
    .:R32,GTIs,AMG,GSXR,FORD
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Scharged View Post
    lol, this gave me an idea to add something to my member name
    Haha...should've had something to do with pancakes though.
    Last edited by Veedubbvr6; 10-30-2008 at 06:55 PM.

'96 M3 -SOLD 10/2/10, '04 DBP.:R32, '92 GTi VR6, '96 GTi VR6, '99 HPS stg2 supercharged C43 AMG, '04 GSXR 600, '66 Ford F100, '85 Ford F250

My Cars
    2001 325Ci cabriolet
    No, that should be his avatar...

- Chris

My Cars
    No, that should be his avatar...

Totally!! Erik, do it!

'96 M3 -SOLD 10/2/10, '04 DBP.:R32, '92 GTi VR6, '96 GTi VR6, '99 HPS stg2 supercharged C43 AMG, '04 GSXR 600, '66 Ford F100, '85 Ford F250

My Cars
    M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by Veedubbvr6 View Post
    Totally!! Erik, do it!
    lol, no cause it will remind me to eat those and eventually get me fat

My Cars
    Cosmos 740iL Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I have a receipt at home for the previous owner that replaced the clutch on the 328i. I'll tell you how much he paid up in the Puget Sound area.

But if you do have clutch issues, it's time to reasearch UPGRADES. Anywhere from a lightweight flywheel to an M3 clutch I'd think... And if you do need a clutch, just cancel that paint job!
    Remove the exhaust, Have Ashis drop the tranny in 45 minutes, pull the pressure plate off, pull the old clutch out, new pressure plate and clutch in, tranny back on in 45 minutes, go grub. It will cost about as much as a front bumper respray from Haury's.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Also, just out of curiousity, what's the going rate for a clutch replacement on an E36? My guess is it will be astronomical...

Thanks!
    Well, just for a point of reference, the previous owner of my 328i took it to "Bothell Tire & Automotive" and had them do the clutch.

3.47 hours of labor @ $82 = 284.54
    Turn Flywheel = $85
    Clutch Kit = $565
    Parts cleaner = $7

The guy paid over a grand when it was all said and done. OUCH.

But then again, I would hope you'd be a bit more savvy of a shopper than he.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    2001 325Ci cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Well, just for a point of reference, the previous owner of my 328i took it to "Bothell Tire & Automotive" and had them do the clutch.

3.47 hours of labor @ $82 = 284.54
    Turn Flywheel = $85
    Clutch Kit = $565
    Parts cleaner = $7

The guy paid over a grand when it was all said and done. OUCH.

But then again, I would hope you'd be a bit more savvy of a shopper than he.
    Haha he was obviously a sucker. I got a quote from a local member who does it themself. ~$400 parts and labor. That seems a little more fair.
    - Chris

My Cars
    Haha he was obviously a sucker. I got a quote from a local member who does it themself. ~$400 parts and labor. That seems a little more fair.
    wow, that's a pretty good price!

My Cars
    2001 325Ci cabriolet
    So I tried the tests you guys told me to do, and no obvious slippage.

I pulled off my power cable from the battery the other day and let the car sit for about 15 minutes. I was told by doing this the ECU would reset and would start from square 1 and begin re-learning the engine's ratios. I was told this would help the engine accept the new exhaust and CAI. I feel like it has helped a bit, but I still feel as if I'm not getting quite as much kick as I used to...

I dunno. After I get emissions done, I'm going to put on an aftermarket exhaust setup and try running the car with the CAI, and then with the stock airbox on, and see what that gets me.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    - Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12