Thread: BMW Noob...looking at M3...good deal?

My Cars
    2006 Cobalt SS/SC

BMW Noob...looking at M3...good deal?

Hey fellas,

I had been on this board a while ago looking at getting a 540i, but considering the closest one with a stick was about 600 miles away...it didn't happen, and I ended up with a 99 WS6 instead. Well, let's just say that gas & loan payments are catching up with me, and being in college can do that to a person.

SO, let me just ask, first and formost, does anyone want to buy my car?

Ok, sorry, wrong question, I've been looking around, and I've found this car ( cant post links...oye)
    Ok, so it is a 97 M3 Sedan, 113k on the clock, silver
    VIN: WBSCD9326VEE06664
    Price: $8,999

Was wondering what you guys though of it. Price seems reasonable, and I really want to get myself into an E36 M3, so I'm asking your expert opinions.

Thanks for the words.

I'm really hoping I can get this TA sold and out of my life and on to better things...

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    Not enough info. We need pictures and info on all the maintenance (or lack thereof) that it's had done to it.

Take a look at a series of videos I put together if you don't know common items to look for...

Part 1: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Z7WrN-tSE[/ame]
    Part 2: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7foKczm3fd4[/ame]
    Part 3: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4s-1TeNsjA[/ame]
    -Nick

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
    Not enough info. We need pictures and info on all the maintenance (or lack thereof) that it's had done to it.

Take a look at a series of videos I put together if you don't know common items to look for...

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Z7WrN-tSE
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7foKczm3fd4
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4s-1TeNsjA
    should be stickied
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMI1 View Post
    should be stickied
    2nd that. This is my first post and this one, along with Steve/Eric@Edge's post, have been a godsend for me. I've simply never been more ready to buy any car than I am right now to buy an E36 M3.

Thanks 5,8+10!

My Cars
    MTree
    Great job with the video. I didn't know about the little red light.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    that video is real good.

My Cars
    '99 Cosmos M3 '93 Lincoln Town Car
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMI1 View Post
    should be stickied
    I agree, very nice videos.
    1999 Cosmos ///M3 | Stromung Exhaust | BBS RXII's 18x8.5 +38 245/35/18 F/R | Bilstein H&R Combo Suspension | Matte Black Front Grill | K&N Air Filter | Front UUC Slotted Rotors | Front Hawk HPS pads | SS lines around | Xenons | Illuminated Shift Knob | Redline 75w-90 Diff | Redline MTL Tranny | Mobil1 10w-30 Engine |5mm Spacer Front | SS Clutch Line

My Cars
    2006 Cobalt SS/SC
    ...my god...

You are my savior. I will agree, these videos need to be stickied pronto. I'm only about 2 minutes in and I know these will help...a lot.

Thanks...back to watching!

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Xterra S 4x4
    yes, those vids are pretty solid, watched all three. one where you are driving would be good.

My Cars
    2006 Cobalt SS/SC
    agreed...the reason I didn't post a link to the page itself is because the forum wouldn't let me...but ill give it another shot

My Cars
    99 M3, 06 Evo MR #7 STU
    Get a pre purchase inspection, and go from there.

My Cars
    E30 M3|ACS S3|Hartge H5S
    Wow, these videos are incredible. Kudos to fiveightandten for his efforts to look out for other new owners.

To put a great spin on this story, I just purchased a E36 M3/4/5 today. PPI was done this morning at 10am and as I watch this now I'm dying wishing I had seen this before so I could have looked out for many of these things while I was under there.

Cant wait to get that Oil Pump Nut done if it hasn't been already, that has scared me now lol.

My Cars
    E36 M3, X5 4.6is, E85 Z4
    Great videos!

That air pump thing at the back of the engine compartment is the Secondary Air Pump. It pumps fresh air into the exhaust manifold on cold starts. It runs for a minute or so, and only on a cold start. It helps the catalyst heat up faster.

Some are very noisy, some are not. The one in my M3 is nearly silent. But I had a Z3 that was so loud, I could hear it when my wife started it in the garage and I was in the house. If it fails, it will trigger the Check Engine Light.

1998 ///M3/4/5 | 1999 528iT | 2003 Z4 3.0i

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Xterra S 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRD3 View Post
    Wow, these videos are incredible. Kudos to fiveightandten for his efforts to look out for other new owners.

To put a great spin on this story, I just purchased a E36 M3/4/5 today. PPI was done this morning at 10am and as I watch this now I'm dying wishing I had seen this before so I could have looked out for many of these things while I was under there.

Cant wait to get that Oil Pump Nut done if it hasn't been already, that has scared me now lol.
    pics??