BAVToys

Thread: E39 headlights

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd

E39 headlights

I have a 2003 540i (so adaptive headlights with xenons). I do a lot of highway driving and my headlight housings surface looks and feels pretty "sand blasted" - but I am quite impressed with the pebbles and such flying all over the highway at high speeds that the headlight housing has never cracked!

In any case I wouldn't mind refreshing my headlight housings and I checked Umnitza... basically the choices there were $700-$1000. Then I checked ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-03...=p4506.c0.m245

Would the fitment and quality of these be very inferior to the OEM headlight housings or are they decent? Has anyone here had any experience with this brand or a similar ebay brand?
    2015 M5 Competition+Ultimate Package black sapphire on champagne

2003 540i/6 black sapphire on black
    BBS RG-R, CDV, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan RSB, Dinan RSTB, Dinan SSK, Dinan FSTB, Dinan CAI, Dinan TB, Dinan MAF, Dinan stage 4 software
    BMW 13th gen ULF Bluetooth, BMW Sirius, Dice Silverline iPod
    Dynocom numbers: 320HP, 420LB.FT TQ (crank)

My Cars
    Lots
    Those or other lights would be an incredible downgrade and there is no reason to completely replace the headlights with OEM.

You have two choices that are logical. One, you can have the existing plastic lenses refinished easily. Go to a bumper Doctor type place. Almost all of them can do it.

Second, front lens assemblies are available from the dealer that will replace the front assembly.

Both of these are cheaper than new. Refinishing works very well and is very affordable.

Don't buy those ebay lights. And DEPOs are a big step down too.

Jim

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsp98m3 View Post
    Those or other lights would be an incredible downgrade and there is no reason to completely replace the headlights with OEM.

You have two choices that are logical. One, you can have the existing plastic lenses refinished easily. Go to a bumper Doctor type place. Almost all of them can do it.

Second, front lens assemblies are available from the dealer that will replace the front assembly.

Both of these are cheaper than new. Refinishing works very well and is very affordable.

Don't buy those ebay lights. And DEPOs are a big step down too.

Jim
    I agree, i would just refinish them, its not that hard.

If you do insist on new(er) ones you can find used ones on ebay that are in better shape.

Honestly though if the outside plastic is a little hazy, just clean them up, you can wetsand them your self one weekend and make them look better then new.

My Cars
    '02 530i/A

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd
    Wow that looks good in that pic... looks like an easy DIY too since the headlights don't come off. Have to be careful with wrapping the body around it properly though.

BBS RG-R, CDV, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan RSB, Dinan RSTB, Dinan SSK, Dinan FSTB, Dinan CAI, Dinan TB, Dinan MAF, Dinan stage 4 software

My Cars
    '96 Alpine M3
    i got the same headlights on my car. they are pretty cheap, but i got it for a crazy deal, $30. i'm basically using it for the projectors cause i have hids. until i have money to do a tsx retrofit with depos, imma have to deal with these. can't use my stock headlight cause kids think its funny to have a pelit gun and shoot headlights.

will definitely look better if you wanted the chrome and smoke the corners.
    Alpine White E36 ///M3

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd
    I wanted to ask a follow-up question since my last question about cheap ebay lights was answered...

Is there any upgrade that 2003 E39 owners can do? I have read a lot of threads referring to the P39 headlights, DEPO headlights, Hella replacement headlights (which are OEM I think??)

Would any of them:
    (a) be better than my stock headlight housing?
    (b) improve the brightness of the stock angel eyes - making it similar to the newer 3 and 5 series?

Another option for enhancing my stock HIDs that I was considering is to go to the 50W/55W D2S setup (I have seen some other E39 owners here do that). If I do go that route, does it require any upgrades to the stock ballasts/ignitors?

My Cars
    --97 SC'd ///M3--04 ///M3 VERT--07 ESCALADE--
    Quote Originally Posted by speedemn View Post
    I wanted to ask a follow-up question since my last question about cheap ebay lights was answered...

Is there any upgrade that 2003 E39 owners can do? I have read a lot of threads referring to the P39 headlights, DEPO headlights, Hella replacement headlights (which are OEM I think??)

Would any of them:
    (a) be better than my stock headlight housing?
    (b) improve the brightness of the stock angel eyes - making it similar to the newer 3 and 5 series?

Another option for enhancing my stock HIDs that I was considering is to go to the 50W/55W D2S setup (I have seen some other E39 owners here do that). If I do go that route, does it require any upgrades to the stock ballasts/ignitors?
    the hella would be great but they aren't cheap, the depo p39 would work fine with a 50w digital kit as will the stock headlights if you refinish/replace the lens.
    to run a 50w kit in your OE headlights you would need a complete 50w kit, bulbs, ballast and igniters.
    we have all 3 options available to you, we carry both the hella and p39's and the prolumen 50w kit is light years ahead of the stock xenon or any other kit you can get.
    pm me or email me if you have questions or need help, we have special forum prices available:
    www.bavtoys.com/bfcspecial.php

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//