Thread: alpine white variations and colour codes

My Cars
    BMW Z3M coupe

alpine white variations and colour codes

Hi people...
    been thinking to spray my m coupe to a different colour as its already going in the body shop...
    was thinking to change to alpine white 3 but cant seem to get the colour code... if anyone can help????

Thanks

Mitch is offline for science, you monster Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    cars
    Alpine White III - 300

My Cars
    95 325i CL500
    Are there really differences in shade in the Alpine colors?

My Cars
    2001 325Ci ZSP
    There are different paint codes of Alpine white, you can find yours by looking on the lower part of the strut tower (on my E46 at least). Make sure you supply the 3 digit code as well.

Then, within that single paint code are a variation of different paint samples that were produced just by the imperfection of maintaining identical paint mixes from the factory. Trust me, my Topaz Metallic Blue had 3 different variations, from a single paint code.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    Alpine White 146
    Alpine White II 218
    Alpine White III 300
    Last edited by williamm3; 09-24-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling corrected

My Cars
    BMW Z3M coupe
    thanks guys for the help! just got to get it in the bodyshop now...

My Cars
    2008 AW 335i e93, 2007 Honda CRV, 1996 Accord
    Yes this variation is damn frustrating I went to buy a prepainted lip today and the damn thing didn't match my car which was clearly more ivory colored. Lacster even had his e92 AW there and his looked bleached white compared to mine. I couldn't believe the differences. I called BMW and apparently they have 3 different Alpine White 300 shades.
    2008 AW e93 335i

My Cars
    E30s
    they have 3 different alpine white shades, not 3 different alpine 3's. That's weird on brand new cars they're so different, but I'm pretty damn sure they're not knowingly using different shades, probably just different suppliers or he's better at washing his car

My Cars
    2008 AW 335i e93, 2007 Honda CRV, 1996 Accord
    Accoriding to the Dealer, there is Alpine White 300 #1, #2, #3. And the difference between his car and mine was substantial.
    2008 AW e93 335i

My Cars
    BMW 330i ZHP
    Hate to wake up an old thread, but I just had an M-technic bumper painted for my 5 series, and the paint shop used the color from the VIN and it came out very slightly whiter than the rest of the car. You can only tell when you get real close, but there is a difference. Any idea how exactly to find the color code for my AW III? I know the AW III code is 300, but each different version of it, has it's own code, and I was wondering if there is a way to find it out...

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbg16 View Post
    Hate to wake up an old thread, but I just had an M-technic bumper painted for my 5 series, and the paint shop used the color from the VIN and it came out very slightly whiter than the rest of the car. You can only tell when you get real close, but there is a difference. Any idea how exactly to find the color code for my AW III? I know the AW III code is 300, but each different version of it, has it's own code, and I was wondering if there is a way to find it out...
    Pete, that car of yours is sooooo fine. I keep waiting to see you out on the beltway one day.

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbg16 View Post
    hate to wake up an old thread, but i just had an m-technic bumper painted for my 5 series, and the paint shop used the color from the vin and it came out very slightly whiter than the rest of the car. You can only tell when you get real close, but there is a difference. Any idea how exactly to find the color code for my aw iii? I know the aw iii code is 300, but each different version of it, has it's own code, and i was wondering if there is a way to find it out...
    the shading difference is not the paint itself. It's more so to do with how many coats of primer, shade of primer, and how many coats of paint they use. If they do not do it as the factory did, then it will have a different shade......

This does not mean they are using the wrong "shade" or color code to begin with.....
    IF MY CAPS OFFEND YOU, BLOCK ME.
    AND IF YOU NOTICE THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD CAP'ED...... IT'S DONE AUTOMATICALLY BY THE FORUM BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THIS, LIKE WHEN I QUOTE OTHER POSTS.AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, REFER TO FIRST SENTENCE IN MY SIG.

My Cars
    BMW 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by robmpulse View Post
    the shading difference is not the paint itself. It's more so to do with how many coats of primer, shade of primer, and how many coats of paint they use. If they do not do it as the factory did, then it will have a different shade......

This does not mean they are using the wrong "shade" or color code to begin with.....
    Hmm that is a good point...
    I'm gonna ask them about that, and maybe get a more difinitive answer on how to get it closer...It is a small difference, but enough for ME to notice, and really that's what counts

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Xterra S 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by g2artist View Post
    Yes this variation is damn frustrating I went to buy a prepainted lip today and the damn thing didn't match my car which was clearly more ivory colored. Lacster even had his e92 AW there and his looked bleached white compared to mine. I couldn't believe the differences. I called BMW and apparently they have 3 different Alpine White 300 shades.
    LOL I would have thought that Alpine White is AW..different shades of white