Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Amsoil mtf. WOW

My Cars
    Ferrari,Mercedes,Porsche

Amsoil mtf. WOW

When I got my roady the shifting was pretty notchy and difficult to get into gear smoothly - always felt like I was churning gravel with an iron bar.

SO i researched and finally decided to change the lifetime mtf with RedlineD4atf. I was expecting something good from this. No.

6000 miles later and virtually no difference in the notchy/difficult shifting I drained out the Redline, which was already black and thin as water.

After previously talking to 2kredz3 about Amsoil, he ordered me some and swapped it out.
    He told me to give it a thousand miles or so before the full benefit would be realized....it was more like a thousand feet.

took the roady out for a test drive in which I really didn't expect much since I didnt believe a fluid could really do so much you could actually "feel" any significant difference but the difference was felt immediately!

Shifting is extremely smooth and almost effortless. So much in fact that shifting is so quick now I spun the wheels shifting into 3rd gear at 60mph!! holy crap! that's a first for 3rd! The 2nd>3rd shift was previously the most difficult to do smoothly and usually required double-clutching.

Getting into reverse and 5th previously took some serious effort with precarious wrist torque but now engages as easy as the other gears. It feels like a new tranny and isn't even at it's prime operating point even cold shifting is greatly improved.

Can't wait to see how much better it gets. This is one of the better choices I've made.

My Cars
    2001 Z3, 2005 Explorer Sport Trac

MTF-lt-1

My 2001 2.5 Z3 tranmission calls out for MTF-LT-1. Is there an Amsoil or other product that would be an improvement over the OEM fluid?

My Cars
    Ferrari,Mercedes,Porsche
    Contact ZeeCubed to get your Amsoil but what I used will work in yours as well.

My Cars
    97' 2.8 Z3

And which kind would that

be?
    Why would you let someone else when you can DIY!!!!!!!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    2K-Z3M and 2014 X1

Amsoil MTL vs RP Synchromax

Excellent to hear story on a better product than Redline. People also rated the Royal Purple Synchomax as an excellent product. Just curious if anyone have compared the different between those products and would like to share their experiences?

On a side note, I am using Redline High Temp ATF fluid on my 95 Pathinder with automatic transmission. I do occasional towing and want that heat protection. Redline ATF boiling point appears to give better protection than Amsoil ATF when compare the specs. That was my reason...now thinking if I should have select Amsoil instead?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Also, what color label do you have on your transmission and what does it specify?

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    That's great to hear. I'm running RP and could not tell any difference when it was added. I will try the Amsoil as my gearbox shifts like yours did, very notchy. Thanks for the report.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    What we put in Jeff's car was this:

Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30
    Formulated for maximum protection in syncromesh transmissions
    Designed for manual transmissions and transaxles with synchromesh systems that require light viscosity, non-extreme-pressure fortified oil. Additive technology provides proper friction characteristics for smooth shifting. The ultimate in gear and bearing protection & outperforms motor oils in manual transmissions.

Product Code: MTFQT-EA
    Package Size:
    Unit of Measure:
    Quantity:
    Retail Price (USD):

Package sizes include:

Quart Bottle
    5-Gallon Pail
    55-Gallon Drum
    Warranty
    MSDS
    Data Sheet

AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is a premium-quality synthetic lubricant designed to surpass the most demanding lubrication requirements of manual transmissions and transaxles where non-extreme-pressure fluids are used.

AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid protects gears and bearings in extreme temperatures. It outperforms conventional oils and delivers outstanding performance from -40°F to 300°F, and it maximizes energy efficiency and resists the effects of heat, oxidation, sludge and varnish deposits.

Unlike its mineral oil counterparts, AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid prevents the thinning effects of mechanical shear for stable viscosity, superior film strength and excellent anti-wear performance. It protects against corrosion, keeps seals soft for long life, and is compatible with brass synchros for smooth synchromesh shift quality.

Ideal for Many General Motors, Chrysler, Honda and Other Vehicles
    AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is a higher quality, lower cost replacement for multiple vehicle manufacturer-branded products. This premium synthetic formulation provides enhanced anti-wear protection and lasts longer in service. AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid exceeds the performance requirements of both manual transmissions and transaxles.

Excellent for Service Centers
    AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is a versatile transmission lubricant. It reduces inventory needs, is readily available and is cost-effective compared to vehicle manufacturer-branded products.

Performance Features

Reduces friction, heat and wear
    Superior high-temperature stability
    Resists heat, oxidation, acid buildup and varnish
    Improves cold-weather shifting
    Applications
    Recommended for automotive and light-truck applications that require synchromesh transmission fluid. Applications include manual transmissions and transaxles such as New Venture NV T350, NV 1500, NV 2550, NV 3500, NV 3550, NV 5600, and Tremec T4, T5, T18, T56, T176, TKO500, TKO600, TR 3450 and TR 3550. Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover, MG, and Mini Cooper. Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications.

Specifications include:

Specifications

GM 9985648
    GM 9986105
    GM 9985535
    Chrysler MS-9224
    Chrysler MS-9417
    Part Numbers

GM 12345349 or 12345577
    GM 12377916
    GM 1052931
    Chrysler 4874464
    Chrysler 4874465
    Service Life
    Recommended for 50,000-mile service intervals or longer (up to 150,000 miles) as indicated in the owner’s manual.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES

I have been running it for over a year now
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 12-16-2013 at 12:43 AM.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmark View Post
    Also, what color label do you have on your transmission and what does it specify?
    it specified this : MTF-LT-1 i am not sure the color of the label since it was dark

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    it specified this : MTF-LT-1 i am not sure the color of the label since it was dark

That is also what mine specifies. The Amsoil you specified is a lot lighter viscosity than the BMW fluid is it not? For example Redline MTL is 70W80.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    That is also what mine specifies. The Amsoil you specified is a lot lighter viscosity than the BMW fluid is it not? For example Redline MTL is 70W80.

this thread explains it best. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1074424

where in NE Ga are you located? maybe you would want to come down here to do your fluid swap? I can order the amsoil and then rocknroad has a fluid pump designed for the amsoil bottles.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    this thread explains it best. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1074424

where in NE Ga are you located? maybe you would want to come down here to do your fluid swap? I can order the amsoil and then rocknroad has a fluid pump designed for the amsoil bottles.

Thanks for the link, that helps clear up a lot of my confusion. Getting the Amsoil is no problem, my cousin who has an auto repair business is a dealer but I don't know about the pump and he will not change it since he doesn't work on imports. I already changed the diff fluid and need to change out my tranny fluid now. The pump I got was actually a marine lower unit pump from walmart lol, but it worked perfect on a Mobil 1 bottle so I may be able to use that.

I am near Toccoa btw.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Thanks for the link, that helps clear up a lot of my confusion. Getting the Amsoil is no problem, my cousin who has an auto repair business is a dealer but I don't know about the pump and he will not change it since he doesn't work on imports. I already changed the diff fluid and need to change out my tranny fluid now. The pump I got was actually a marine lower unit pump from walmart lol, but it worked perfect on a Mobil 1 bottle so I may be able to use that.

I am near Toccoa btw.
    I have no problem helping ya change it. toccoa is about 45 min from where i am. i drove through there on my way back from SC home coming. if your cousin doesnt want to order just let me know.
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 10-13-2010 at 07:56 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Thanks

My Cars
    BMW
    how many quarts needed for amsoil???

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    The tranny fluid can be changed without a pump. I did it with a funnel, 32" of tubing and a helper. Snake the tubing down through the engine bay near the firewall on the passenger side and have the helper slowly add the new fluid.

The differential fluid can be done the same way. Having the new fluid at room temperature or warmer helps.

Mike
    Last edited by mva; 09-07-2008 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Well, I finally got the fluid in yesterday and got it changed and wow, what a difference. The shifting is much much smother and easier to engage.

My Cars
    Ferrari,Mercedes,Porsche
    Well, I finally got the fluid in yesterday and got it changed and wow, what a difference. The shifting is much much smother and easier to engage.
    it gets better with miles....

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Fluid may help, but if you have notchy shifting, its hard to get into any gear, or you have to muscle the selector into a gear, BLEED THE SLAVE PER BENTLEY MANUAL. That is the real source of the problem. Since doing so I had no issues all summer.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Fluid may help, but if you have notchy shifting, its hard to get into any gear, or you have to muscle the selector into a gear, BLEED THE SLAVE PER BENTLEY MANUAL. That is the real source of the problem. Since doing so I had no issues all summer.
    to add to that, if the clutch engagement is so close to the floor it is hard to get in gear then bleeding is required

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroad View Post
    When I got my roady the shifting was pretty notchy and difficult to get into gear smoothly - always felt like I was churning gravel with an iron bar.

SO i researched and finally decided to change the lifetime mtf with RedlineD4atf. I was expecting something good from this. No.

6000 miles later and virtually no difference in the notchy/difficult shifting I drained out the Redline, which was already black and thin as water.

After previously talking to 2kredz3 about Amsoil, he ordered me some and swapped it out.
    He told me to give it a thousand miles or so before the full benefit would be realized....it was more like a thousand feet.

took the roady out for a test drive in which I really didn't expect much since I didnt believe a fluid could really do so much you could actually "feel" any significant difference but the difference was felt immediately!

Shifting is extremely smooth and almost effortless. So much in fact that shifting is so quick now I spun the wheels shifting into 3rd gear at 60mph!! holy crap! that's a first for 3rd! The 2nd>3rd shift was previously the most difficult to do smoothly and usually required double-clutching.

Getting into reverse and 5th previously took some serious effort with precarious wrist torque but now engages as easy as the other gears. It feels like a new tranny and isn't even at it's prime operating point even cold shifting is greatly improved.

Can't wait to see how much better it gets. This is one of the better choices I've made.
    Freakin' Awesome.

I agree, Amsoil MTF is good stuff.

My Cars
    R32 GTR, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Now you're talking Brake/Clutch hydraulic fluid, right?

Is there any godly fluid like Amsoil that folks recommend for Brake/Clutch fluid?
    Kimi Raikkonen - WDC 2007

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyKen View Post
    Now you're talking Brake/Clutch hydraulic fluid, right?

Is there any godly fluid like Amsoil that folks recommend for Brake/Clutch fluid?

http://www.modsquadmotorsports.com/i...products_id=65
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 10-13-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast