BAVToys

Thread: GE Xensation 5100K Review

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s

GE Xensation 5100K Review

I have scoured the internet looking for a quality D2S replacement light in the 5000K range. I have tried low and high quality aftermarket capsules, even used OE lights and had alignment issues or have not gotten the look I wanted. I was now determined to stick to High Quality OEM's. For those keeping score at home the most common HID capsules are the Philips 85122 and newer 85122+. I have written about a few different lights here and there and am going to try to put all of the info I have about OE capsules in this post.

To adhere to forum rules, I will not be naming any of the sources since they are not forum sponsors. But in my travels I have found many OE manufactures i.e. Philips, GE, Sylvania and even Hella, that produce HID capsules. Here is what I have found thus far for the major players:

Philips

85122 - 4150K @ 3100/3200 Lumens $90/pair
    85122+ - 4200K @ 3200/3400 (based on source) Lumens $110/pair. Resists color shifting more than 85122
    85122cm - 4800K @ 3100 Lumens. Pure white but hard to find for less than $220/pair
    85122cx - 5000K @ 3100 Lumens. Newly introduced light called Crystal Vision $300/pair
    85122yx - 3000K @ 2400 Lumens $270/pair VERY YELLOW, used primarily as fogs or on race cars
    Ultinon - 6000K @ 2400 Lumens $270/pair BLUE, but not bright. Blue return wire and red salts are the tipoff
    DL50 - 3900K @ 5300 Lumens $300/pair (sometimes cheaper from private sellers) These are true 50w bulbs

Osram

Standard D2S 4250K @ 3200 Lumens $180/pair

G.E.

53500 - 4200K @ 3100 Lumens $130/pair
    53550 - 5100K @ 2800 Lumens $130/pair
    53560 - 9000K @ 2300 Lumens $160/pair

Those are the most commonly found replacement capsules. I have chosen not to include "off" brands or brands that claim to be"JDM" to keep this list nice and clean.

My setup is the OEM E39 HID headlights, 55w DDM ballasts and I.C.E. Angel Eye upgrade. OK, On to the pics

85122+ On Right ... Xensation on Left

85122+ Your Left ... Xensation your Right

Both lights are Xensation

Both lights are Xensation

Here's a video of the warm up

I hope everyone finds this to be useful. Please ask any questions you may have

~Phil
    Last edited by LuvMy328is; 05-13-2009 at 10:04 AM.
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #001

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Hmm. I like the 85122+ more. I'm perfectly happy with my 85122, though.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Cool. I'm not in the market for new bulbs but it was a good read and I will refer back if I ever am. What ballasts do you use? Er.. on your E36 that is, I assume you just used the stock ballasts on the E39..
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    M3
    They look great, I wish I had the funds.

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    Quote Originally Posted by roarf View Post
    Cool. I'm not in the market for new bulbs but it was a good read and I will refer back if I ever am. What ballasts do you use? Er.. on your E36 that is, I assume you just used the stock ballasts on the E39..
    Updated first post

I have a 5000K 35w Prolumen PnP kit in my E36. I am going to retro my OEM 35w ballasts from the 5er to the E36 and the 85122+ capsules.
    ~Phil

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Ok. This may be a stupid question. So, the bulbs you have, the 55w ballast makes them run at 55w? Then would they put out more lumens than what you listed? I'm just confused on how the bulbs are rated I guess.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    Quote Originally Posted by roarf View Post
    Ok. This may be a stupid question. So, the bulbs you have, the 55w ballast makes them run at 55w? Then would they put out more lumens than what you listed? I'm just confused on how the bulbs are rated I guess.
    I am running them with a 55w aftermarket ballast. In my experience, which includes speaking to a company which works with the Military and the Aeronautical and Racing industries, most of the 50w-55w aftermarket ballasts actually draw about 40w. They have seen an increase in output of approximately 20%. There are companies that modify OEM Hella and Philips ballasts to actually draw 55 watts There are also DIY's instructing you on how to boost them to 55w, even as much as 75w. The OEM "boosted" ballasts at 55w usually result in about 30%-40% more light. Now in my case, with these lights that are rated at 2800 Lumens, I estimate the output at 3300 Lumens. They don't appear to be quite as bright as the 85122+ which would, using the same equation, result in 3800 Lumens. But I figure 3300 is better than the OEM configuration at aprox 3100, using the standard 85122 capsule. All in all, I am pretty happy.
    ~Phil

CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    E70/X5M
    Where to get these? I searched without any luck.
    DL50 - 3900K @ 5300 Lumens $300/pair (sometimes cheaper from private sellers) These are true 50w bulbs
    I love my 911T~~~

My Cars
    a few
    Phil,

I am a little confused about your bulb/ballast combination. With all the emphasis on pure OE blubs, why did you use an aftermarket ballast? For some reason I would've thought it was more important to use an OEM ballast but go with an aftermarket bulb. EnLIGHTen me!

-Nick

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Love the warm-up video!
    Awesome!

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3 Coupe
    Ok, I don't know if it is super relevant to the subject but I got my DDM Slim few days ago with 4500k but they look kind of "yellowish". I want to go 5000k but should I stick to DDM bulbs ? Let's say you have a Philips and DDM bulb, do you get the same light output ?

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhead View Post
    Where to get these? I searched without any luck.
    The retailer is actually in Toronto, PM me for details. The OE capsules are safe IMO @ 50w. This is from talking to a few players that serve military and off road (think Baja and Dakar) clients.

Quote Originally Posted by 98DakarM3 View Post
    Phil,

I am a little confused about your bulb/ballast combination. With all the emphasis on pure OE blubs, why did you use an aftermarket ballast? For some reason I would've thought it was more important to use an OEM ballast but go with an aftermarket bulb. EnLIGHTen me!

-Nick
    I wanted a higher output ballast. FYI, they are getting swapped out soon. Boosted OEM is where it's at. I am actually going to try the Prolumen 50w digitals next. Plus for the most part, power is power, but on the lights, bad focal point = poor output.

530i OEM Xenon, replacement capsules...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Love the warm-up video!
    Awesome!

Thanks!
    Jason
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Derouteur View Post
    Ok, I don't know if it is super relevant to the subject but I got my DDM Slim few days ago with 4500k but they look kind of "yellowish". I want to go 5000k but should I stick to DDM bulbs ? Let's say you have a Philips and DDM bulb, do you get the same light output ?
    As long as the focus is good on the aftermarket bulb. I have tried several and now use GE in my 530i and I installed Philips in my Dad's SAAB. My E36 has Prolumens that are fine though. Refer to pic in this post for importance of good focus.

~Phil

CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    a few
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMy328is View Post
    I wanted a higher output ballast. FYI, they are getting swapped out soon. Boosted OEM is where it's at. I am actually going to try the Prolumen 50w digitals next. Plus for the most part, power is power, but on the lights, bad focal point = poor output.

530i OEM Xenon, replacement capsules...

You're welcome

As long as the focus is good on the aftermarket bulb. I have tried several and now use GE in my 530i and I installed Philips in my Dad's SAAB. My E36 has Prolumens that are fine though. Refer to pic in this post for importance of good focus.

~Phil
    Interesting. I thought the hot spots/unfocus was a result of a crappy projector, not a bulb. Too bad they are so stinking expensive

My Cars
    Lots
    There's something else going on there. The other bulb is not 5000K. Way too much blue.

Jim

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    I tried 3 different brands of light, only the OE D2S gave me good focus. It was really odd that this was the case. Aftermarket works fine on my E36 Hella's.
    ~Phil

CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    Lots
    The stories I could tell about aftermarket bulb makers.

Maybe I'll see if I can get an FAQ section in my area and start writing dissertations on what goes on in the bulb AND ballast business.

Suffice it to say, when you buy a non-OE bulb from anyone, its almost certainly Chinese at this point. Now, the next step is that 99% of the Chinese bulb factories make ONLY the glass themselves.

They then ship the glass tubes off to another factory that puts them in bases and attaches all the wiring, shrink wrap, weather seals and all the stuff you see that isn't glass.

This can lead to a complex problem known as fucking up.

The industry is inbred like labrador puppies.

You, as customers, don't know the half of it. This is why we go to the factories at least twice a year and talk to them almost daily.

Jim
    Last edited by jsp98m3; 11-11-2008 at 03:02 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by jsp98m3 View Post
    The stories I could tell about aftermarket bulb makers.

Maybe I'll see if I can get an FAQ section in my area and start writing dissertations on what goes on in the bulb AND ballast business.

Suffice it to say, when you buy a non-OE bulb from anyone, its almost certainly Chinese at this point. Now, the next step is that 99% of the Chinese bulb factories make ONLY the glass themselves.

They then ship the glass tubes off to another factory that puts them in bases and attaches all the wiring, shrink wrap, weather seals and all the stuff you see that isn't glass.

This can lead to a complex problem known as fucking up.

The industry is inbred like labrador puppies.

You, as customers, don't know the half of it. This is why we go to the factories at least twice a year and talk to them almost daily.

Jim
    This is not helping you sell your bulbs....

In other words, OEM bulbs are superior.

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Bump, cause these GE bulbs are the bomb!
    Great info from Phil!

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    are you selling the GE 5100K? i'm very interested. pm me if you still have some!

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    I am now using them in my 3er, sorry. Search for xenon factory for more information
    ~Phil
    Last edited by LuvMy328is; 03-16-2009 at 04:32 PM.

CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    Where can i find GE5100K bulbs at $130/pair?

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    I'll check the company info for and get back to you/
    ~Phil

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMy328is View Post
    I am now using them in my 3er, sorry. Search for xenon factory for more information
    ~Phil
    HAHA, it was in my previous post, totally overlooked it myself. Look for that vendor.
    ~Phil
    Last edited by LuvMy328is; 05-13-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

CCA Member #382557