Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 BMW 325, with a M56???

My Cars
    ///M

2003 BMW 325, with a M56???

My buddy just called me asking if I have ever heard of a M56 motor, i said no.

Tried doing a search on it, and got notta.

He said the ETK came up with the code M56 for the motor anyone ever hear of this or got info on it?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    yeah the M56 is the one you dont want.... stupid emissions controls on it make for $$$ repairs.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    got a pic of your engine? would be able to tell pretty quick.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    The M56 is the modified SULEV motor that was available in some 325's in states with very stringent emissions requirements. You don't want it.

http://www.ge39.com/files/M56sulev.pdf

It's easy to visually differentiate from the M54 and M52 - the M56 looks much more boxy and squared-off.

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-3 SE 5MT
    I never knew about that. If it gets the same power output, whats so bad about it?

Quote Originally Posted by parabellum View Post
    Here for those of you who aren't OT whores, let me post the rest of this thread, all in one easy to follow post:
    1/3 of the posts will be: You broke the law, you pay. Your fault.
    1/3 of the posts will be: Man, f**k the police! What a c**t!
    1/3 of the posts will be:

My Cars
    04 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    I never knew about that. If it gets the same power output, whats so bad about it?
    it is very difficult to mod because there is a severe lack of parts and software for the M56.

Mods: Eisenmann Sport, Dinan CAI and S2 software, F&R strut bars, interior xenons, BSW S1 audio

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
    it is very difficult to mod because there is a severe lack of parts and software for the M56.
    +1
    It's very difficult and expensive to repair or modify, especially with the fully sealed fuel system.

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2011 Z435i
    On the plus side isn't every part of the M56's fuel system warrantied to 100k miles?

My Cars
    ///M
    Wow thanks for the info guys. Good to know.

My Cars
    2009 328i coupe
    Well, thats one way to look at it. I myself am happy I have an M56 because I know that my car isn't polluting as much and without any loss of power whatsoever. Not to mention the direct ozone reduction system which helps save the ozone.

I say, get the M56 and save some of our planet without any loss of fun!

My Cars
    E60 M5, 330i ZHP
    What's the ozone reduction thing for anyways? Lol your putting out carbon anyways with a M54 or M56. And besides that i barely see M56's.

My Cars
    2009 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
    What's the ozone reduction thing for anyways? Lol your putting out carbon anyways with a M54 or M56. And besides that i barely see M56's.
    So basically if you're polluting it doesn't matter how much you pollute? If my neighbor doesn't recycle than I shouldn't either?

If you can reduce your carbon footprint without any sacrifice in performance, isn't that a good thing?

My Cars
    04 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldviking View Post
    So basically if you're polluting it doesn't matter how much you pollute? If my neighbor doesn't recycle than I shouldn't either?

If you can reduce your carbon footprint without any sacrifice in performance, isn't that a good thing?
    i get you....but the M56 does sacrifice performance in that you cannot mod it. if you're not interested in modding then there are no problems.....but if you are then its going to be very frustrating. buyers should just beware.

Mods: Eisenmann Sport, Dinan CAI and S2 software, F&R strut bars, interior xenons, BSW S1 audio

My Cars
    2009 328i coupe
    I think I remember Dinan selling mods for the m56.

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-3 SE 5MT
    M56....for Tree Huggers who don't want to drive a Prius.

Quote Originally Posted by parabellum View Post
    Here for those of you who aren't OT whores, let me post the rest of this thread, all in one easy to follow post:
    1/3 of the posts will be: You broke the law, you pay. Your fault.
    1/3 of the posts will be: Man, f**k the police! What a c**t!
    1/3 of the posts will be:

My Cars
    E46 323Ci 5-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    M56....for Tree Huggers who don't want to drive a Prius.
    Be glad there are treehuggers that don't want to drive a Prius lol... the more positive rep for BMW, the better!

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    i get you....but the M56 does sacrifice performance in that you cannot mod it. if you're not interested in modding then there are no problems.....but if you are then its going to be very frustrating. buyers should just beware.
    by that rationale, no one should buy a 325...

My Cars
    '03 530
    People always forget we are quite a minority here, I would venture 90% of original buyers never mod a single thing.
    Last edited by absentmathis; 08-19-2008 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Yeah those middle aged women aren't really interested in Mtech bumpers, sport suspension, or superchargers! lol

Edit: The emissions related parts are warrantied to 15 years or 150,000 miles &
    In addition SULEV models also incorporate a "Direct Ozone Reduction System". The external heat exchange surfaces of the radiator are coated with a catalyst which reduces the ozone in the ambient air drawn through the radiator. So in theory every car could have this "coating"
    PS I think you've been brain washed into thinking the earth is just gonna fall apart because of us. Kinda hard to stop change. Just because the earth heats up doesn't necessarily mean we are to blame. The enviroment goes through cycles. Hence the ice age? Pop your head out of your a**.
    Last edited by zeekman914; 08-19-2008 at 11:45 AM.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by zeekman914 View Post
    SULEV models also incorporate a "Direct Ozone Reduction System". The external heat exchange surfaces of the radiator are coated with a catalyst which reduces the ozone in the ambient air drawn through the radiator. So in theory every car could have this "coating"
    Yep, my wife's 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T has it on the radiator and/or condenser.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    Yeah those middle aged women aren't really interested in Mtech bumpers, sport suspension, or superchargers! lol

Edit: The emissions related parts are warrantied to 15 years or 150,000 miles &
    In addition SULEV models also incorporate a "Direct Ozone Reduction System". The external heat exchange surfaces of the radiator are coated with a catalyst which reduces the ozone in the ambient air drawn through the radiator. So in theory every car could have this "coating"
    PS I think you've been brain washed into thinking the earth is just gonna fall apart because of us. Kinda hard to stop change. Just because the earth heats up doesn't necessarily mean we are to blame. The enviroment goes through cycles. Hence the ice age? Pop your head out of your a**.

My Cars
    2009 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
    OMG! Even if that is true and all this global warming stuff is a lie and practically every scientist is wrong, does that give you license to personally pollute the environment more than you need to? Any way you cut it, what comes out of your tailpipe is bad for all of us. If you don't think so, put your mouth over your exhaust and inhale.

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    This is a sensitive subject but I do have to agree with Coldviking, even though I modded my car and will continue to drive the same way. We all can do our part to reduce and reuse. I am no hippie, hell I am a proud Republican, I hunt and fish and drive off road, I smoke cigars and drink beer and whisky, but we could all be more mindful of waste.

The M56 is a great engine, I think there actually is less HP but not noticeable and honestly who cares. For those that bought the SULEV they did it on purpose, if you don't want one don't buy it. I say thank you to those that do. Hell we should all thank the Hybrid drivers, more gas for the rest of us! Don't be so quick to judge the enviornmentally sound, they are doing good for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    I just get tired of hearing it. Every time I turn around I get get assaulted with "oh the ice is melting" "the polar bears are dying" It seems like its just for money now. If your company makes a hybrid or a gas sipper you advertise the sh*t out of it. If your doing "your part" on saving the environment then you make sh*t loads of commercials about it so people will buy your insurance, cars, beer, tires, whatever. I'm sick of it. Just because the climate is changing doesn't directly mean we are to blame. Nothing stays the same! Granted we might have healped it buy I think it would take a lot more than the pollution we put out now to actually see a difference. Scientists don't know what they are talking about either. Everybody is basing their opinions on such a small time span. Nobody was here millions of years ago to see the cycles that the earth went through.

My Cars
    2009 328i coupe
    Scientists don't know what they are talking about either. Everybody is basing their opinions on such a small time span. Nobody was here millions of years ago to see the cycles that the earth went through.
    The amount of CO2 and also the air temperature can be measured by air bubbles in the snowfall in that year. Its similar to how scientists can measure tree rings to calculate the age of a tree. Scientists can see a direct correlation between the amount of CO2 and the temperature dating back more than 650,000 years accurately!! There have only been three very tiny temperature peaks in the last thousand years except for the one we are experiencing now which is 5 times the size of those temperature peaks combined and lasting nearly twice as long already with no end in sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast