Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 540i reliability?

My Cars
    2001 Z06, black on black. Showroom Cond.

540i reliability?

Hi guys,

I am debating getting an 02-03 540i and curious about the reliability. Currently own a 450hp Z06 and wouldn't mind a change of pace. I like the 540i's but don't want to have to deal with a lot of headaches and costly repairs which I once heard about them..

Thanks,
    Kevin

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    I just purchased a 2000 with 88k on it for 10k. most modern BMW with 60+k will need a few things

Shocks
    Cooling system
    Fluids changed (BMW uses Lifetime=garbage)
    Misc little electrical gremlins

Not that big of a deal.

Keep the ZO6 and just add the e39. Its no gokart, its a sport barge.
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Buy one. I use mine as a DD with some trips being over 400 miles.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am debating getting an 02-03 540i and curious about the reliability. Currently own a 450hp Z06 and wouldn't mind a change of pace. I like the 540i's but don't want to have to deal with a lot of headaches and costly repairs which I once heard about them..

Thanks,
    Kevin
    i have a quick question, do you always quote hp ratings when telling someone what kind of car you have...?

My Cars
    hey look pal, I didn't mean to shrink your E-peen. Just wanted to state what I was currently driving so people could give opinions with the knowledge of where I am coming from.

My Cars
    2000 E39, 2000 E36/7
    Quote Originally Posted by CABimmer View Post
    Keep the ZO6 and just add the e39. Its no gokart, its a sport barge.

+1
    b'side the problems he listed, overall a 540i is pretty reliable.

My Cars
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I just always remember 7-8 years ago when I had a 94 mustang GT and was at a shop where I was getting H/C installed and there was this black 540i out front and I was looking it up and down and all around and I was like wow, this is a beautiful vehicle. Actually ever since I was a kid I have always had an eye for BMW's. My father's wifes' sister and her hubby have always owned BMW's as long as I have known them and they love and swear by them. I have been in the Bimmes a few times and its always a nice experience. Even one of my Ex's had one...and older 325 that I loved, but I have never personally owned one. I am one of the guys who's a miser (sp?) on getting the best bang for the buck, which for the longest time has always led me to american cars (emphasis on power)....but I still have an itching to finally own a BMW and now that I am getting older I am leaning more toward an emphasis of refinement and luxury.

With that said I am also seriously considering a Lexus GS430 to be honest...

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    hey look pal, I didn't mean to shrink your E-peen. Just wanted to state what I was currently driving so people could give opinions with the knowledge of where I am coming from.
    hahaha, at least its in "showroom condition"

My Cars
    Too bad there is not a minimum age limit on this board

My Cars
    E39 m5,528i
    just call the the 540 brett farve, and his retirement then comeback the radiator.
    PM me for Interior Trim Wraps!!! Get rid of your old wood!

**PM ME FOR DETAILING/ROOF WRAPS(BAY AREA**

My Cars
    2006 4Runner
    Heckling is par for the course on these forums. Dont let it get to ya.

I got my 540 pretty recently and while I trust it for daily driving, I'm also very grateful that I have my toyota 4runner as a backup.
    Possibly, maybe, conceivably, thinking about getting back into another E39. Hide your daughters

My Cars
    2002 540i/6
    If you buy one get it fully inspected by a good mechanic or by the dealer, well worth the 200 bucks. Then budget a couple of thousand to get the car up to snuff and then make sure you keep up with all the maintenance. My 540i is very expensive to maintain and there is always something that needs to be replaced, flushed or inspected. That said my 2002 has 115,000 miles on it and is a joy to drive, seats 4 very comfortably and still looks good.

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    Too bad there is not a minimum age limit on this board
    sorry but it would be either maximum age limit or minimum age requirement...

My Cars
    '06 M5 97 540i 92 325i

Thumbs up yes sir

Quote Originally Posted by dookateh View Post
    just call the the 540 brett farve, and his retirement then comeback the radiator.
    +1 and then watch it on the southern state pkwy or the meadowbrook, and northen state pkwy as they will try you to see what you got. Just might be the best money you'll spend for a second car imo.

My Cars
    2001 540i6
    Ive had my 540i for 2 years in august 72k-94k

Problems ive had

-Cooling system (all of it had to be replaced)
    -Intake many gasket
    -Cam position sensor
    -Secondary air pump
    -Vanos Gasket (im hoping)

other than those things its been fairly reliable.

My Cars
    2008 M3, 1998 540i6
    I've owned two of these cars and am a SA for Bmw. Usually over 100k miles this car will take you to the bank every time. My car retailed for 61k. It's now worth maybe 8k if I'm lucky. I LOVE driving the car (when it runs right) but it gets expensive to fix and I get parts cheap with no labor charges.

My Cars
    2000 Biarritz Blue/Beige 540i/6
    As a relatively new E39 owner I'll go ahead and chime in real quick as well. The car is a blast to drive, it's not going to give you the thrills of your ZO6. But for the size and comfort, she moves pretty good.

That being said, if you're a handy mechanic you can find yourself saving a lot of money. As everyone has mentioned the cooling system is notorious for taking a dump around the 80k mark and I unfortunately found myself on a road trip when it happened. Since I had to have it serviced at the dealer, the grand total ended up being around $1,800. Had I been able to do it myself in my own garage, I might have been around $650 or so.

So my overall impression, I love the car. Looks great, incredibly comfortable, and pretty quick too. Just be ready to fork over a bit of cash if you can't do your own maintenance and work.

Good Luck!

2000 Biarritz Blue/Beige 540i/6 | M5 Front | Koni FSD | H&R 50464 | 19x8.5 19x9.5 Miro 346 |

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    They ain't cheap. CPO it if you don't do the work yourself.

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?...d=27&Itemid=55

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540
    Well, I love it, but wouldn't wish it on an enemy. I bought the car with 27k, by 32k if it weren't for warranty, I'd have been out over 8 grand. In 5k it needed:

Front pads and rotors
    Radiator
    Six hoses
    Power steering pump
    Driver's side trap sensor (plus 1300 for the switch, relay, etc. only to figure out it was the trap sensor)
    Passenger's side seat switches

I've had it a little over a year, just tripped the 42k mark, and have already done the rear pads and rotors, tracked down several electrical issues, and currently have the following list to have investigated:

Red brakes idiot light on for several months (fluid level, all lines, and all calipers are fine)
    Check coolant level warning (coolant level is normal)
    Strange diff activity
    Service Engine Soon light came on this morning (Check engine light)

I know, everyone on the board will quickly jump in to say how this is out of the ordinary, and my car is unusual, and so on.

BS. People who have had the typical, bad experience with the car don't show up on the enthusiast board, they show up on the BBB web site.

The statistics show this car average 8 trips to the dealership per year during the warranty period. It has a half red circle rating (not good) in reliability from Consumer Reports. It has several known engine/accessory issues that persisted through the last year of production without being addressed, and several of them can ruin the motor and/or the whole front end of the car.

Yes, I love to drive the car. It's a blast, and will be much more fun once I put the 125HP shot nitrous kit on it.

Should you buy it? Only if you like working on cars or spending money on mechanical repairs.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    102k miles. Had it for last 30k.

Have done
    cooling system
    plugs
    valve cover gaskets
    intake gaskets
    valley pan
    o2's
    plugs

Most was just preventive maintenance. I'd highly recommend one!!
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Well, you buy any car with ~100k miles and you will have a whole laundry list of stuff that needs to be refreshed. This is very true for any type of a performance car. I dont think a few k every year for a 8+ year old car is that big of a deal.

Torque, your car was falling apart at 32k miles the PO most have beat the hell out of it and you got a used up car. Certainly not the norm.
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Well, you buy any car with ~100k miles and you will have a whole laundry list of stuff that needs to be refreshed. This is very true for any type of a performance car. I dont think a few k every year for a 8+ year old car is that big of a deal.

Torque, your car was falling apart at 32k miles the PO most have beat the hell out of it and you got a used up car. Certainly not the norm.
    Agreed...

My Cars
    E46 M3, a few more, soon to be God willing, R8
    Oh you'll like it. And I love the 540i M-Sport package.
    KNIGHT RIDER

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540

I wish this were true. The PO did all 32 in 75 MPH trips to Vegas on cruise control. I know, because I hunted him down to chew him out for putting rediculous, oversized chrome wheels on the car. Actually, I was more concerned with trying to recover the Mpars he took off of it, but no luck.

My Cars
    Thanks for the feedback guys (except for a couple trolls). I have no doubt I'd love driving the car, but most of you confirmed my fears about the reliability. It's a shame too because I really like them. Looks like I might go with the Lexus though for better reliability.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast