Thread: trunk removal/install DIY

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3/5

trunk removal/install DIY

After months with out access to my trunk due to structural failure a friend and I replaced my trunk lid...

Here is my attempt at a diy, if you have questions or need clarification let me know.

the ripped metal that caused the latch not to align properly

If you have a bentley manual it helps, but we still had to figure some things out on our own so here is my attempt at a write up on how to change your trunk lid.

1. Gather a 10mm socket, ratchet and extension, phillips and flat screwdriver and a friend to help out

2. Remove the trunk lining (carpet). It will probably come off around the tabs but you can deal with those later. Begin taking out all of the locking stuff (actuator, key socket, lock/latch, outside cover with license lights). Most of this stuff is straight forward, just unscrew it and pull it off). Do not forget to undo any wiring that is running to the lock motor or spoiler brake light (you may have to cut/uncrimp the wires)

3. Remove the trunk shocks, this part can be tricky. You want to pry the little metal cliip away from the shock but try not to take it off (its a pain to get back on). Once it is pried far enough away the shock should come right off. Do this for both sides, top and bottom.

4. Get a friend to help hold the trunk lid and remove the bottom bolts on either side of the trunk and then LOOSEN the top two because you can slide the trunk off of the little rail that its on and then set it off to the side. (you may need a few parts off of the old trunk if stuff breaks)

5. Take the top two bolts that you just undid and screw them into the new trunk lid. Once they are in you can slide the new trunk into place and put the bottom screws in but DO NOT tighten them all the way.

6. Begin installing all of the locking/latching stuff but do not tighten the latch all the way.

7. You or a friend should climb into the trunk and watch how it closes and try to get the latch to shut on the post. this part may take sometime.

8. With the friend or you still in the trunk, loosen the catch post bolts so that the two pieces are connected but are able to move.

9. Begin to align the trunk top bottom, side to side. This was the hardest part because we kept opening, shutting, tightening, loosening the bolts to get a near perfect fit.

(I found it helpful to have my friend push down on the trunk while i secured the catch post in position so that i could get the best possible fit). Do not forget to check all around the trunk to make sure everything lines up, it may not be PERFECT but you can get pretty close.

When everything looks good and is working well begin to attach the last pieces like license lights, plates, etc...

Here are some pictures of my old dented trunk lid and the new one (too bad it wasnt the same color) I plan on removing the spoiler and getting it all repainted but it was more important for me to have a working trunk than a pretty one.

the new trunk had been repaired prior to install so that it wouldn't happen again

1992 325i "Bridget" - gone
    1999 M3 - here to stay

My Cars
    `98 M3 Convertible
    Good work, and welcome back to the land of cargo-carriers!
    --
    Gac's the name. Seriously.

I drive a Metallic Fern Green 1998 BMW M3 Convertible with a hard top. I just rolled over 67k, and I rate the current appearance of the car as 7.8/10, pending repair of some trim pieces. I rate the drive condition as a 7.1/10 until I figure out why my clutch gets into a "slippy mood" evey few months. It is bone-dry stock, except for a modern head unit and slotted/dimpled rotors and ceramic pads. I like it this way. It is awesome.

That is all. Carry on.

My Cars
    '98 328is
    Trunk removal DIY... I'm thinking:

1. Buy 318ti
    2. Swap in s52
    3. ???
    4. Profit.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3/5
    i carry too much stuff around... i need the space but if this car is totaled i'm SO doing it...
    1999 M3 - here to stay

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 06 325xiA

Curious

Nice write up.

How did the original one 'rip'? Should an e36 owner do something to prevent this?

98 Dinan M3/4/5 Apline White/Dove, non-lux, Cold Weather Pkg, Power Seats, Folding Rears, HK Sound

Bilstein Sports/H&R Sport OE Springs,X-Brace,Dinan Sway Bars, Dinan CAI, Dinan Exhaust, Steel Braided Brake Lines,Motorsport Euro Floating Rotors, BMW Clear Lenses all around, Royal Purple Oil

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3/5
    the original trunk ripped at the two mounting screws for the latch, if someone wanted to get it reinforced it wouldn't hurt but i think its a pretty rare issue.

i did notice that my 99 trunk lid seems to weight a lot more than the new one and the sheer weight without reinforcement may have caused the malfunction. the car was also a track monkey and the stress of chassis flex could have caused those points to weaken over time.

hope that helps
    1999 M3 - here to stay

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Bump! Thanks This helps a lot.

I'm looking at the inner locking mechanism and it looks like its held to the body of the trunk by a torx bit? Does anyone know what size?
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    99 M3-92 Mtech2-Cummins
    the spoiler typically causes that failure

current = '99 Estoril/Mulberry M3 Coupe :: past = '97 Alpine/Anthrazit M3 Coupe

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sure does.
    Too heavy for the metal, so when you are bouncing over bumps and rough roads or even not so rough, the metal gives and eventually fails.
    I need to get mine welded and reinforced.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    hellrot 98 M3/2/5
    Mine has the rips and no spoiler. Shuts fine 499 out of 500 times. The 500th time I have to bend it back a little by hand. Waiting for a decent Arctic Silver trunk lid with factory spoiler to become available since it's rarely an issue.

My Cars
    E36 M3, X5 4.6is, E85 Z4
    That's also a good way to get rid of the spoiler.

1998 ///M3/4/5 | 1999 528iT | 2003 Z4 3.0i

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    I've seen this area of metal torn on almost every single e36 I'd worked on/looked at.