Thread: New EWS module to get remotes working again?

My Cars
    1997 540i, 1966 Mustang Coupe

Question New EWS module to get remotes working again?

So recently the remote keys on my 97 540i have been working only once in a while, and then last week they just stopped working all together, both remote keys do nothing.
    I have tried the reprogramming steps too many times to count and have looked at every fuse I can find and everything is fine. After reading about all the remote/key issues I can find, I called my Indy because it sounds like there isn't really one sure fix to the problem (there never is any way).
    He said that he has seen it pretty often on early E39 and that the EWS module needs to be replaced. He said about $220 for the part and then 2-3 hours labor plus reprogramming the computer and car. This also comes with a whole new set of keys (which I need any way) so it sounds like it could be a good way to go... but my question is, has anyone else had the EWS module replaced and did it fix any issues you had/have with the remote keys?
    Thanks for any help/comments.
    06 Mustang GT Premium

66 Mustang 289 Coupe

97 540i - SOLD

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Hmm.. not familiar with it, but I have a 00 528... but I was in ur same situation for about 2 years. I finally went to the dealer only to find out my fuse was located behind the trim of the drivers side c-pillar! Never knew there was anything back there..

Good luck..
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    1997 540i, 1966 Mustang Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Hmm.. not familiar with it, but I have a 00 528... but I was in ur same situation for about 2 years. I finally went to the dealer only to find out my fuse was located behind the trim of the drivers side c-pillar! Never knew there was anything back there..

Good luck..

Yea I remember reading that in one of your other posts. I know there are actually a few connections back there for the radio antenna and such, I might open it up when I have a day off, and see if I can find anything. Thanx for the help. PS, did they give you any indication of where it was, besides in the C-Pillar, theres a lot of trim I will need to pull off to get it, if that is the case.
    06 Mustang GT Premium

66 Mustang 289 Coupe

97 540i - SOLD

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Wow...you may be about to blow a lot of money replacing your EWS (immobilization) system...when it appears from your post that the problem is the DWA (keyless entry) system.

These are TWO different features that your car has that work thru the key. EWS works regardless of the mechanical nature of the key and is self powered...and deals with the DME/ECU, EWS control module, your key, and a few more components. If it doesn't work...your car WON'T START.

DWA is the cars keyless entry (remote) system and is powered by the battery in your key (rechargable battery in the 9/99-up). This sytem is what allows you to lock/unlock and arm the cars alarm system. If this is what isn't working...then replacing the EWS system is going to be a VERY COSTLY option that is NOT going to fix or sole your problem.

Again, if the problem is that the key won't lock/unlock the car and arm/disarm the alarm...the problem is NOT with the EWS system, but with the DWA (keyless entry system).

Good luck. I'd check the C-pillar...item #1 and #2 are components of the remote control keyless entry system...click the link below to go directly to the part nbr index for more details for the diagram below: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=65&fg=30

(also look for any component that may have 315 Mhz written on it...that is the frequency that the remote keyless entry system uses)

Again, The EWS system has nothing to do with locking/unlocking the car doors and being able to open the windows, trunk, doors etc (remotely) with the key.

Here's an illustration of some of the EWS components and their location...which again...have NOTHING to do with unlocking/locking the doors, trunk, windows, and sunroof:
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-11-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    hmmm, bump for any update...or did you even get a chance to read the replys?
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    the ews system has nothing to do with the remote function of the keys.