Thread: Electronic Steering Wheel Lock

My Cars
    325i

Electronic Steering Wheel Lock

Hi~
    I have a 2006 325i and recently I have had a problem with the Electronic Wheel Lock. If I get into the car and start try to start the engine, that light comes on. I have to get out of the car, lock it, unlock it, get back in and then I can get the car started.
    Anybody here of such problem. I have searched the forums but can not find any threads relevent to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    E90 330i
    The yellow wheel icon? Have it checked ASAP. You don't want to see it in red, trust me on that

My Cars
    325i
    I have seen it in red. But like I said, if I get out of the car and back in, then I am fine. I will get it checked ASAP. What is the possible problem?

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    It's a pretty well known issue on the 325/328/330i, and I think the fix is to replace some parts in the steering column. Just take it in to the dealer....when you are seeing it in red, according to the manual, you should not be able to start your car, so consider yourself lucky you can.

My Cars
    325i
    Weird thing, was this morning I used a different key (my spare one) and that seemed to get it to start on the first try and I have been in and out of my car frequently already this morning.
    Could it be the key fob not working properly?

My Cars
    08 Mercedes CLK 63 Black Series, 03 Dinan M3
    This has happened to my girlfriends 2007 328i on several occasions. The first time was about 2 months ago and they claimed they had to re-flash the computer. The second time it happend was about a month ago and they replaced the steering colum or something and re-flashed again, they said that should do the job. Well last night it happened again, but we got the RED symbol rather than the amber one and the car would not even start. After calling BMW roadside assistance and waiting 2.5 hours for a tow truck the car was towed to our local BMW dealership where this monring we were told they are going to replace the steering colum yet again. What is the deal with this, the service writer at the dealership says he sees 2 or 3 3 series a week with this issue...in my eyes that is a HUGE issue, 2 cars a week at only one dealership???? I thought my 2007 530 was a piece of crap, but her 3 takes the prize.

My Cars
    08 Mercedes CLK 63 Black Series, 03 Dinan M3
    Well, she just picked her car up from the dealership, they installed yet another steering column, same day service. This is the third one installed in her car including the stock factory unit. I must be a very regular issue if they are stocking steering columns in their parts department now.

.....I told her to buy an Audi

My Cars
    See sig. & avatar
    My car is going in on Thursday because of this same problem.

My Cars
    2017 BMW X5M
    Lemon law on the third replacement!
    2017 BMW X5M
    2017 Tesla Model S 100D
    2012 Ducati 848 Evo
    1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer

My Cars
    2017 BMW X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPonyMB View Post
    Well, she just picked her car up from the dealership, they installed yet another steering column, same day service. This is the third one installed in her car including the stock factory unit. I must be a very regular issue if they are stocking steering columns in their parts department now.

.....I told her to buy an Audi
    Man, why say that when I'm toiling between an Audi and a BMW decision right now!!!

How do you like that CLK 63 Black? What a MONSTER of a car.
    2017 BMW X5M
    2017 Tesla Model S 100D
    2012 Ducati 848 Evo
    1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer

My Cars
    2008 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverState View Post
    So what's the consensus? Software fixes this or you need the column replaced?
    I always program the car after replacing the column.

My Cars
    See sig. & avatar
    Got my car back and it seem to be fixed. They "reprogrammed the whole car", not sure exactly what that means but that's what the Service Advisor told me. Anyway, let's hope it stays fixed.
    Whilst they had the car they changed my brake fluid without me prompting them and let me have a 2008 X5 as a loaner for two days. Sweet, but thirsty!

My Cars
    2006 330XI
    Well, I wouldn't count on it staying fixed. I had the same problem on my 330xi and first they did the software which made it better and it seemed fixed for a while. Then when it got bad again, they replaced the steering column as others have mentioned.

It appears to me that they know they have to replace the column, but BMW won't let them until they at least try the software upgrade first.

My Cars
    2007 328i
    This has happened to my car twice in the past 3 months or so, the replaced steering column lock twice. What a pain in the butt. The dealership did a great job, had it fixed same day, I was not too happy with the Kia loaner car they gave me though.

My Cars
    See sig. & avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gEEkChris View Post
    Well, I wouldn't count on it staying fixed. I had the same problem on my 330xi and first they did the software which made it better and it seemed fixed for a while. Then when it got bad again, they replaced the steering column as others have mentioned.

It appears to me that they know they have to replace the column, but BMW won't let them until they at least try the software upgrade first.
    Ha, you were dead right, the problem came back today. Guess where I'll be first thing on Monday morning!

My Cars
    328i

Angry recurring problem

I have had the same problem and the service advisor is acting like he has never seen it before. My 328i has been in twice, 'fixed', and this afternoon the RED steering wheel lock icon is on again. I know I am not supposed to be able to start the car when the icon is RED, but have been able to start the car when the icon is RED. Guess this is going to happen again and again and again. What great fun.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328IS coupe

steering wheel locked

HI, I have the same problem, right now with my 328IS, the steering wheel is locked, I can turn the car on, and put in drive, drive forward and back, but no turns. any suggestions? also what happened with your car, did the dealer fixed it?
    Last edited by edragons69; 08-30-2010 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    335i Convertible
    Had the same problem with our 335i using my key but not with my wife's key that worked fine - changed the battery in the problem key and that did nothing - took it to the dealer and it turns out the spare battery I used for the change was faulty - the dealer replaced the battery and now the key works fine including all retained memory settings with nothing re-programmed
    2006 Z4 M Roadster - Sapphire Black (sold!)
    2008 335i Convertible - Sapphire Black
    Member BMW Club Queensland Inc

My Cars
    2006 325xi
    Same happened with my 06 325xi. the local mechanic replaced the steering column but the car still wont start. taking it to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully they can get it started.

Same problem on 2006 330i (manual trans)

The dealership is doing the "computer reprogram" right now ($300), said if it doesn't work the steering collumn will need to be replaced ($1,200). The advisor acts like this is uncommon, but when I mentioned it was all over the forums, he recommended calling BMW USA, any one have any luck on a rebate/refund? Any recommendations on how to try or who to call or write to?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i Coupe
    By chance did an airbag deploy? There is something that kills the starter. It's sucks cause I could not drive my car off the road and there was not much damage.

I had to wait almost a week for that part before they could start the car. Ill call on Monday and find out what part they had to replace. This was on my previous car 2008 328xi .