Thread: the perfect m10 build

My Cars
    1987 bmw 325e, 1983 bmw 320i

the perfect m10 build

ok guys describe your idea of the perfect power build for the m10 9no swaps) be specific what parts,fi system,pistons head work whatever///lets see who has the best ideas for power!!!!!!

me je pistons .50 over bore motor built to withstand a nuclear blast and turbo the hell out of it maybe a 7.1 litre ford diesel turbo with megasquirt running rc 50 lbs injectors and voodoo custom cam grind to match turbo needs with methenol/water injection to coolturbo charge air and a six speed custom built tranny. and a 50 shot of nos for some icing on the cake.

something like that

My Cars
    320i
    How about the mild overbore, 9.5/1 (? we'll see...) 284 cammed motor I'm about to pick up from the machine shop this week?

Some of these other fellas have already done the cool stuff....

My Cars
    83 320i (M20 Powa)
    S14 crank
    overbore
    high comp pistons(maybe 10:1)
    ported and poilished head
    288-302 cam
    dual DCOE 45mm carbs or ITBs
    big header
    abd prob MSD ignition

haha basicly turn an m10 into s14

mmmmmmm

My Cars
    No BMW's currently
    The "perfect" engine build is different for each person and application-it still requires compromises. Having said that I will post my personal "recipe". Though I have done it in the past it continues to evolve.

Short block:
    84mm stroke (s14 crank) counter weights coated with oil shedding coating
    92mm bore forged flat top pistons set at .000" deck height, skirts coated with dry film lubricant (DFL) and tops with ceramic heat reflective coating.
    Bearings coated with DFL
    Reworked stock connecting rods coated with oil shedding coating (I would love a set of 5.7" custom H beam rods but the cost outweighs the benefits)
    A light weight dampener/pulley with 36-1 tooth wheel attached
    Lightened stock flywheel
    All reciprocating parts static balanced to within .5 gram and rotating parts dynamically balanced.

Cylinder head:
    Milled for combustion chamber volume of 50cc (a compressed head gasket thickness of .035 and zero deck height will give 11-1 compression)
    Mildly ported head with DFL on intake valve stems, ceramic on valve heads and combustion chamber
    Elgin 284 X 10.47mm valve lift cam coated with DFL (this cam should perform in a 2.2L engine much like my current Elgin 278 does in my 2.0L)
    rocker locks
    rockers with shaft and bushings coated with DFL
    Titanium valve retainers
    Valve springs with "just enough" pressure to control the valves with that cam.
    Single row timing gears/chain
    Distributor hole plugged

Exhaust:
    4-2-1 header, 1 5/8" primaries 18" long into 1 3/4" secondaries 20" long, merged collectors used throughout and a venturi on the last one to a 2.5" exhaust using mandrel bends, one Edelbrock RPM oval muffler and exiting through the body behind the passenger seat.

Oil system:
    External crank driven single stage oil pump-no stuck relief valves to worry about.
    Remote filter
    oil thermostat
    oil cooler

Intake system:
    Fabricated intake with 15" intake runners (plenum to valve head length) not sure on the plenum volume yet
    65mm throttle body

Fuel system:
    MS efi with EDIS ignition
    29lb injectors at 48psi rail pressure
    aftermarket external fuel pump
    1/2" steel supply lines
    3/8" return lines

As you can see there is much more than most people think, an engine is a system and EVERY part must be considered when modifying it.

Compromises with this configuration:
    single stage oil pump with wet sump vs. 3 stage oil pump with dry sump
    5.315" rods instead of 5.7" rods
    Crank is heavier than I would like
    Lightened steel flywheel vs aluminum flywheel
    These compromises save about $2000 in parts and labor cost but don't reduce power much.

This engine should easily push 200hp and nearly equal torque in the mid range. In a 2200lb e21 it would have 11lb per hp. The e46 M3 6 cyl (333hp) has about 10.5lb per hp and the 3.2L e36 m3 has about 10lb per hp so it would be pretty easy to startle those drivers. A properly set up e21 would be more fun anyway...

These are just my opinions and educated guesses.

ken

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5
    Nice Ken!

So the question now is: How much would it cost for you to build it for me?!

You mention the compromises would save a couple grand, but seriously, how expensive are we talking to build something like this?
    Last edited by sbcrockett; 06-30-2008 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    '82 528i m20

Ken...

Could you be more specific??

My engine (currently under construction) is 1.2 overbore w/9.5 CR piano tops, 2.0 Crank, e12 casting head, 288 cam, mild port/polish, +1mm intake and exhaust stainless valves, dual springs, e21 parts.net (RIP) ignition system, ceramic coated header, 2 1/4" stainless exhaust with magnaflow resonator and silencer. All is done except for the head work, I had to source another head, the first ended up being junk.
    --dennis

My Last e21_____________My e21 Before That
    1995 Land Rover Disco 5 spd, 2002 Disco Kalahari, 2011 Lexus CT200h

My Cars
    No BMW's currently
    Well, for me it would be much less because I can do it all other than the machine work on the block, milling the head and balancing the crank.

I have the ported head, s14 crank, EDIS, MS and can build the header/exhaust and intake.

I haven't really thought about what the total cost would be but I'm sure it would be less than a MM 2.2L

If I get it done and sorted I MAY be persuaded to sell it but I would likely sell the whole car to make way for the next project.

Oh yeah, more specific... I forgot to specify an e21 head casting.

My current engine is similar. Ported head, 278 Elgin cam, Euro domed 2.0L pistons and I've had a couple different headers on it. It ran well with CIS but MUCH better with MS EFI.

BTW, the oil system with the external pump is a REALLY nice to have but not necessary so that would save some $$ too but I REALLY like good oil systems.

ken
    Last edited by kdanielson; 06-30-2008 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Ken, are we talking flat top pistons or some replica of the "D" dome? Have to be custom either way due to the s14 crank. How do you suppose the cost/benefit ratio stacks up against using euro M30 pistons with the e12 head? Those aren't forged of course.

My Cars
    83 320is,'85 745, 98 528
    I simply cannot resist. This is the "ultimate" M10 build:

I remember having a distorted sense of pride when Nelson Piquet (Sr.) won the world title in '83 with this thing thinking "gee, I have the same block in my car". HAH. I don't know if this is factual but I either heard or read that BMW obtained the blocks for their racing program from junked cars, attributed to the fact that the blocks were "seasoned".

We now return you to people who have real contributions to this thread
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    No BMW's currently
    Layne,

Aircooled VW type 1 92mm "A" pistons (stock stroke) have the correct compression height to work with the s14 crank and stock m10 rods. The block needs decked slightly to get to zero deck height but not much. They are available as forged flat tops for pretty reasonable $$.

An adjustable cam sprocket will be necessary to correct the cam timing due to the shaved deck and milled head.

ken

My Cars
    '80 320is, '88 325ix
    Seriously though, what would something like that cost... very roughly. I desperatly need a new motor and I am just kinda feeling out prices at the moment.

My Cars
    1996 328i,1979 320i,1982 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbobian View Post
    Seriously though, what would something like that cost... very roughly. I desperatly need a new motor and I am just kinda feeling out prices at the moment.

If ya have to ask... ya probably can't afford it
    Day by day they take our freedom, who the hell gives them the right?
    Raise your glass up high and we'll drink on and on and on and on

My Cars
    85 318i
    2.0 crank
    lightened stock rods
    91mm flat tops
    Stock 1.8 head from a 318i
    318i intake manifold, M30 TB
    SS valves,double valve springs, 294 regrind cam
    ARP head studs, MLS gasket
    MS/EDIS 750cc injectors, big bosch FP
    Equal length turbo manifold, big intercooler, LARGE Turbo in the T4 range
    Solid hub 3 puck disk w/heavy duty PP
    Turn the boost up around 25psi shift around 8k and hold on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    '80 320is, '88 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by good & tight View Post
    2.0 crank
    lightened stock rods
    91mm flat tops
    Stock 1.8 head from a 318i
    318i intake manifold, M30 TB
    SS valves,double valve springs, 294 regrind cam
    ARP head studs, MLS gasket
    MS/EDIS 750cc injectors, big bosch FP
    Equal length turbo manifold, big intercooler, LARGE Turbo in the T4 range
    Solid hub 3 puck disk w/heavy duty PP
    Turn the boost up around 25psi shift around 8k and hold on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Isn't that what you pretty much had in your e30? Then it blew to billions of bits?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Isn't that what you pretty much had in your e30? Then it blew to billions of bits?
    If I may idly speculate...With that engine he did everything to make more power, and nothing to create a stronger longer lasting engine. We all know you must have both, or replace them frequently. Forged pistons and H-beam rods should be a necessity in an engine like that. But considering either of those things cost as much as 2 used replacement engines, maybe changing them all the time isn't such a bad idea...

My Cars
    '96 Ranger, '83 RX7 GSL
    Ken, that engine build sounds similar to what I want to do...cheap, but potent. The build that I am going for is built around engine rules for an SCCA class and to make BMWCCA club racing classing:
    Stock crankshaft balanced, blue-printed, and coated...and yes, maybe even knife-edged
    Stock rods lightened and balanced
    Stock head (e21, 1.8, or 318i, preferably the latter) ported and polished
    Pistons may not change initially, only if I can't get the CR I want (10:1), and then bored to 89.2mm (I think).
    Top End Performance reground cam, probably close to the 300s, as well as an adjustable sprocket.
    Upgraded valvetrain including dual-springs, rocker locks, and new stock rockers (required for my class)
    2002 intake manifold mounting a 32/36 Weber (40 DCNF if I'm down on power), and possibly a custom intake if needed.
    Top End Performance 1.5" header, coated and taped.
    Crank-trigger custom ignition based on Ford EDIS-4.
    I won't go into the other stuff in detail, but the water pump would be upgraded, as would the oil pump. I'd add an oil cooler, and a crank scrapper, and probably a set of underdrive pulleys.

Maybe not as thorough as Ken's build, but as I wrote it, it made me think about how much there will be...
    Jake

My Cars
    85 318i
    The Nitrous killed the rods not the boost.
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    You had ~25 psi boost and felt the need to throw nitrous on top of that!? At least it proves the whopping strength of the good 'ol M10's.

My Cars
    '80 320is, '88 325ix
    Yeah, that is pretty damn amazing accutally. Was that stock internals?