Thread: E36 convertible top problem

My Cars
    '05 330C 01 540i (2)535i

E36 convertible top problem

Our '98 328ic is giving us a fit with the top. Can anyone help?
    The top stopped on my wife last week part way down. I had her us the emergency drive motor release under the rear seat & get it put down. I rest the drive motors & reinitialized them per the TSI. I was able to put it back up & down & thought all was fixed. Only to have it get stuck again and now the rear boot drive motor will function but is making a loud clunking noise as if it's stuck & has some type of safety that allows the motor to release from the drive gear giving a clunk, clunk, clunk noise for about 10 sec. without boot cover moving. I now have the red light on the top switch flashing. Anyone got a clue to what to do to fix it?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Convertible

I have the EXACT same problem.

I have tried to reset the top.
    Disconnected battery and reset.

Nothing I have done will stop it from clunking.

It resets pulling the cover down but seems like it has no idea that it is supposed to stop....keeps on trying to close tighten the cover.

Is there a switch here that stops the motor when it is in a tightly closed state?

If so what one? Or what have others done?
    CRAZY CANUK

My Cars
    '97 328ic Slushbox
    Suggest you check out the DYI videos, see if they help.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=718030

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    yes check diy's, wifeys vert made that noise and I could not get the top drive motor to reseat after emegr pull- end cause was top motor drive failure- replacement motor fixed it right up. Hope your's is not that extreem.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    98 323ic
    Don't know about the clunk, but the flashing red light means the top is not locked down to the windshield.

My Cars
    06 330 Ci ZHP vert
    Sounds like it might be the Hall sensor (this is the gizmo that tells the motor to stop). I believe the sensor is built into the motor. However, I had a similar situation recently, with the top stopping half way down and then the motor jamming in the "trying to keep closing the lid after it's already closed" manner, even after resetting several times.

Part of the problem was a bent main drive rod for the top (one of the two big rods in the top storage bin). Check those to make sure they are not bent (the big one will bow upwards if it is bent).

The second part of the problem, and the one that relates more to yours, is that I could not get the @#$@! lid motor to synchronize, even following millertimebmw's video multiple times. I think it just got way too far out of whack. The solution was to NOT follow the video instructions but to follow the official BMW method. That is, when you sit in the driver's seat and press the button/turn on the ignition, you should press the "put top down" button, not the up button as recommended in the video. Then, the moment the lid starts to close, RELEASE THE BUTTON, don't keep holding it as mentioned in the video. This is the only way I could get it to synchronize.

If all else fails, you will need to take it to a mechanic who has the ability to read out the trouble codes to determine if the motor/hall sensor has a fault.

Good luck.

My Cars
    ‘97 E36 'vert, ‘08 E93

Very helpful. Crimped storage lockdown cable was part of my problem

Can't thank you enough for providing those correct instructions. I ran into a problem where my storage lid would not close all the way tight. This appeared to be due to a pinched metal cable which is connected to the storage latch on the driver side. The cable on the driver side was pinched inside the latch mechanism thus limiting the passenger side latch to not get tight enough and push down on the orange lock button, which appeared to jam everything up. I think when that little switch on the passenger latch is activated, the cables are pulled tight to lock down the lid.

So, my first problem was that I was using the "close top" button (the "forward position") button to reset the vert which was way wrong.

Now I'm back to normal, I just have to figure out how to pull in the slack on those storage lid lockdown cables, or replace one because of the crimp. Any input you have on that?

-Ryan Rafaloff-

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    A bent drive rod (for the boot cover) is often the culprit when a 'thunk' sound is heard. These rods are famous for bending over time. The are 100% DIY fixable though. Do a search on this and you will find a wealth of information on the subject!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    99 BMW 323i, 02 Audi A4T

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible
    I solved this issue with two steps. I did follow http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1102199 about bending the plate back in place because mine did seem to be bent. Two, I replaced the top storage gas lift struts. I believe the issue started with the bad lift struts causing the motor to over work and become bent. For now the issue is solved, but I have the feeling I will still need to replace the motor soon.

My Cars
    1991 bmw 850i
    IMG_9709.jpgHad the same issue! I fixed the bend plate but now the linkage doesn't fit the pin anymore see picture.
    Last edited by jeroene31; 07-28-2023 at 03:52 PM.