Thread: S2000 vs. Z3M Roadster (Anti-boycott Edition)

My Cars
    '03 M3 6MT / '06 X5 3.0i

S2000 vs. Z3M Roadster (Anti-boycott Edition)

Don't know what the deal is with the boycott, so I posted in here.

So I searched, this comparo didn't come up, but I wouldn't be surprised if its already been discussed, so sorry if it has.

Ok, my girlfriend is in the market for a 2-seater roadster, and the preliminary list was:

1. Audi TT 1.8T Roadster
    2. BMW Z3 M Roadster
    3. BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    4. Honda S2000
    5. E36 M3 Convertible
    ...or keep her terrible 05 Toyota Corolla.... :sigh

After doing some test driving and weighing the pros and cons, we've narrowed it down to either an M Roadster or an S2000.

We have pros and cons on both of them, but I want to hear the opinion of real-life Z3 Roadster owners. Why should I (she) choose one over the other?

I'll post my thoughts later on, just want to see how this discussion develops.

My Cars
    Lots of E36's
    Both are great cars. They both handle great, and get about the same on gas imo. Have her test drive them... its the only way to decide.
    Questions?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I think the biggest bits for you guys to consider is how much does she care about comfort and reliability. The S2000 doesn't really start to get fun until the higher RPM range which may be impractical for a comfortable cruise around the city. Where as the M, especially a 2001-2002, will rip as soon as you get on the gas. Most likely nothing will ever go wrong in the S2000 (it's a honda!). The BMW you will either be shelling out lots of cash for small repairs or doing them yourself (I'm a fan of the latter).

Really tho, it comes down to the intangibles. One of the cars will make her(or you) get the warm and fuzzies as soon as you sit down in it and turn it on. And that's the one you will want to get.

My Cars
    99 z3c
    I think she should keep the Corolla. It will save on gas, a lot.

Let her take out one of your BMWs if she needs a speed fix.

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    The S2000 doesn't really start to get fun until the higher RPM range which may be impractical for a comfortable cruise around the city. Where as the M, especially a 2001-2002, will rip as soon as you get on the gas.
    +1.

Make sure Jas gets an S52 Roady though, because I will kill one or both of you for the S54.

My Cars
    '03 M3 6MT / '06 X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by StarReaver View Post
    +1.

Make sure Jas gets an S52 Roady though, because I will kill one or both of you for the S54.
    Haha, an S54 is a little out of the price range anyway.

We've both driven all of those cars listed. She likes these two both, and recognizes their differences but is still somewhat undecided.

Her girlyness took over and she doesn't want "A Honda...ugh"

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    In my case: torque. Nothing better than good ol' torque for street driving.

One of the reasons I just bought a v-twin bike instead of an inline four...

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    s2000.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Even though I am still a bit fan of BMW, one begs to ask do the rear ends fall out of S2000's? Hmmm.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmichaels View Post
    Even though I am still a bit fan of BMW, one begs to ask do the rear ends fall out of S2000's? Hmmm.
    One needs torque to do so

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Well... The S2000 is a very nice pocket racer. It lacks some guts in the low end, but zings up top. The handling and shifting is sublime. The styling leaves quite a bit to be desired, though. In my opinion, it's a bit of a boring, slab sided wedge. The only interesting view is standing straight on looking at the front end. The interior is bare bones with the ugly display behind the steering wheel. However, it does what it was designed to do very well, but may feel anemic around town at low rpms. They do have a slightly boy-racer image.

The M roadster is a much more complex beast. The S52's mechanical throttle linkage makes heel/toe a blast. The power is there throughout the powerband until the very top, but the M50 manifold will liven that up nicely. Than handling is a worse/better story. The S2000 is technically better, but with the way you can really grab the M by the scruff of the neck and break that rear loose give more thrills (or scares if you're not expecting). It is a more classically styled roadster.... wide 911-esque rear, sensuous and interesting curves and styling that have few 'bad' angles. The interior is on the edge of classic and dated. It is timeless in the sense that it is all about analog driving, with the chrome bezel gages, leather trimming, and 2 tone. It is also dated slightly with some of the general styling. I'd say it still edges out the S2k, however. The M is much more well rounded. Maintenance will probably be slightly more than the S2000, but these are still very affordable cars to DIY.

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    '01 BMW Z3 - '07 Acura TL
    Before I bought my Z3 3.0, I test drove the Z3, a Z3 2.5, Porsche Boxster and the Honda s2k.

My dislikes: the Z3 2.5 a bit slower than the 3.0, the Boxter had no engine compartment access. and the S2K 2.2 was also a bit slower than the 3.0 and also gave a harder ride. Handling was the same on all 4 cars.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by tincan96 View Post
    and the S2K 2.2 was also a bit slower than the 3.0
    The s2k can keep up with the s52 M. You just have to take it up into the RPM stratosphere.

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 2.8, 91 Volvo 940 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post
    ...It is a more classically styled roadster.... wide 911-esque rear, sensuous and interesting curves and styling that have few 'bad' angles. The interior is on the edge of classic and dated. It is timeless in the sense that it is all about analog driving, with the chrome bezel gages, leather trimming, and 2 tone. It is also dated slightly with some of the general styling...
    Itsablurr, you kill me...this sounds almost like one of those "Devine Design" excerpts from HGTV that my wife loves to watch!

I've tested both 2kS and Z3 and, obviously, settled on the Bimmer. Interior comfort/ride was a big plus. +1 on M50 manifold mod to free-up the top range, just as responsive (IMO) as 2kS...plus already more responsive on the low end (even more so w/the 3.73 diff). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sneeze at a 2kS, very nice car.

Cheers,
    Gibber

'98 BMW Z3 2.8 -- S52 Cams/Dinan CAI & Twr Strut/Butt Strut/JC Shark/SS DTM Exhaust/Eurosport UDPs/Fan Delete/Eurosport M50 Mani/E30 3.73 LSD/JBRacing & RE LWF+Clutch/Evo M3 6-speed

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    The s2k can keep up with the s52 M. You just have to take it up into the RPM stratosphere.
    If you want to view it that way, my stock 325i beats an S2K up to about 7200RPM. Yes, he will pull ahead because I am shifting, but what's the point? Both are torque-less boredom boxes.

A huge selling point for me was the door design. The M Roadster/any Z3 is very comfortable and very easy to have your hand/arm out the window. The S2K makes me feel like I am in a bowl of some sort and I find it quite annoying to even try and put my hand/arm on the door ledge. The Z3 is way more comfortable, no doubt.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    2016 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmichaels View Post
    they dont fall out but i've heard from a friend of mine (who owns an '05 S2k) that the differentials are weak so doing burnouts is not all that common with S2K's.

-OG

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0
    S2000, only covertible I'd buy.

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Though I love my roadster, it sounds like the s2000 is the better option for your girlfriend

My Cars
    2008 M5
    classic roadster styling with lots of grunt vs. boring made for the masses styling and anemic bottom end? Why even ask? Its pretty obvious which car is better. Period.

As a DD, the S52 is relatively fuel efficient (how many 0-60 5.0 sec cars get can get over 20mpg on the fwy?) and low maintenance to boot.
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    '03 M3 6MT / '06 X5 3.0i
    These were my points:

M Roadster
    Pros:
    -Maybe a tad bit cheaper upfront
    -I already know the engine inside and out
    -I have hookups for parts
    -Torque

Cons:
    -Maintenance will be more expensive
    -Older
    -Subframe will break eventually
    -Doesn't do as well on gas

S2k
    Pros:
    -Good on gas
    -Engine and most components are bulletproof
    -Newer
    -Parts will be cheaper in the long run, as well as maintenance

Cons:
    -Unfamiliar platform
    -No torque
    -Not quite as comfortable

It's still a toss-up, but I think she's favoring the M Roadster...now we just need to find a nice clean one

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    What's your price range? I've got a Silver S54 w/ 47k miles for sale... good shape - minor mods.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster
    the M roadster is damn fun in SB...i know that much.