Thread: Need a FRONT window regulator DIY.

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2007 328i

Need a FRONT window regulator DIY.

There seem to be DIYs all day long for the rear windows but not for the front. Anyone know where I can find one?? I swear its gotta be a waste of $160 ( mechanic hourly rate) when im sure I can do it myself. It cant be harder than the alternater i just did. Anyways, i need one yo.

My Cars
    E39 540iA
    No fix for it. Just buy the whole regulator and install it yourself, it's easy to replace.

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2007 328i
    Ok so im assuming its one of those " look for a way to do it " jobs.

My Cars
    Hummer H2,Yukon Denali, 95M3
    i have a couple regulators I'll sell oops nm, they are for an e36 not a e39
    ex - Dodge Viper GTS - lots of mods
    95 M3 IP car - SOLD
    Panoz GT-WC
    Hummer H2

Using lots of fossil fuels in new and interesting ways.

--Life moves pretty fast, if you dont stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it --Ferris Bueller

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2007 328i
    Ive got one. I was gunna take it to my mechanic as my motor is in fine condition. But im going to do it myself.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Here's LanceM (He manufactured the rear regulators repair kit - Group Buy) comment on front regulators.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i Sport
    Here are some intrx to replace your front window regulator that I wrote up.

I was very timid about tackling the project myself(it was also my front driver door), but after being quoted $270 for labor, I decided to do it myself. I would first unhook the negative terminal from the battery. Then there are two small screws to remove. One is in the vent area (you can see it when you open the door) behind the open and close valve. The other screw is behind the door handle which a tiny round plastic piece is covering, just need to pop off with a screwdriver. Then you start pulling the panel off, just apply some pressure and the clips will start popping. Once the panel is removed, you need to unclip any plugs for the electrics and speaker. The panel is totally off! Next is unscrew the airbag and remove. Now you have is the vapor shield that is on using a sticky adhesive, start pulling away from the outside of the door going in, use a razor to cut through adhesive, not the foam shield. Do not completely remove, so it will be easier to stick back on (the sticky stuff will restick, even if cut). Now you see your window and regulator. Undo the clamps holding the bottom of the window. You can move window freely yourself. When the window is in the half way position, pull the window straight up and out of the door. Now you have to unscrew the existing regulator, replace with the new one, slide the window back in and clamp. If you want to test the window, plug the airbag in and then the battery (do not want airbag warning light come on). After test, I would unhook battery and work your way back to the beginning. It really is not that difficult. I did not have these instrx when I started, I just got helpful tips here and there. Good Luck!

My Cars
    Oxford 540i6 3/98
    It's not that difficult, but I decided to pay someone when I realized i would have to remove the glass. But technically, not that hard.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING .....BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

My Cars
    2006 4Runner
    I have a brand new front driver's regulator for sale if you're interested. I got my door apart and realized my regulator could be repaired and didn't need the replacement. PM me if you want it.
    Possibly, maybe, conceivably, thinking about getting back into another E39. Hide your daughters

My Cars
    97 528i 99 996 Carrera 05 530i
    Well, I tackled mine and it's not too much worse than the back (but more stuff has to come off the driver's side). The glass does not have to be removed. What I discovered is the rubber holders to the glass were loose - the regulator was fine - but I replaced it anyway since I had it apart and the car has 180k on it.

Bill H.

My Cars
    528i
    DIY BMW E39 WINDOW REGULATOR

Unhook the negative terminal from the battery.
    There are two small screws to remove. One in the vent area (visible with door ajar behind the open and close valve). The other screw is behind the door handle which a tiny round plastic piece cover. Pop off with a screwdriver.

Pull the panel off by applying some pressure (clips will start popping).

Once the panel is removed, unclip all electrics plugs and speaker.

Unscrew the airbag and remove.

Remove vapor shield from the outside of the door going in. Use a razor to cut through adhesive (not the foam shield). Do not completely remove, so it will be easier to stick back on (the sticky stuff will restick, even if cut).

Once window and regulator are visible, undo the clamps holding the bottom of the window in order to move window freely.

When the window is in the half way position, pull the window straight up and out of the door.

Unscrew the existing regulator and replace with the new one. Slide the window back in and clamp.
    Test the window, plug the airbag in and then the battery (airbag warning light should not come).

After test, unhook battery and work your way back to the beginning.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)