Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intensive washer fluid

My Cars
    1986 635csi Schwarz

Intensive washer fluid

So the cars have a second washer fluid res. for "intensive" washer fluid. any problem with just putting normal blue stuff in both? or.. does anyone have a better preference for good fluid?
    Steve
    '86 635csi black
    '16 535d Xdrive Jatoba Brown
    '62 AustinHealy Replica (w/350SBC)
    '71 Jaguar XKE 2+2

My Cars
    1973 2002tii, 1985 Euro M635, 2007 530i Sport

Fluid

The difference in the two systems is the main fluid is for washing your windshield when it is mildly dirty, like every other car. When you activate the intensive, the fluid from the other system is dispensed onto the windshield and the washer jets are heated. The main use of the intensive system is for freezing conditions with ice or sleet buildup on the windshield. IF you live in cold, freezing conditions, it would be best to use the less diluted, "intensive" type antifreeze/fluid. If you don't use your car in that situation, no reason to even fill that tank. Heck, you could even do what we did to our Volkswagen in high school. Fill that tank with wiskey and run the tube into the glove box. When you need a shot, PRESTO!, bartender at the push of the button! Not that I would ever do that!

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfcitydude200 View Post
    ...... When you activate the intensive, the fluid from the other system is dispensed onto the windshield and the washer jets are heated. The main use of the intensive system is for freezing conditions with ice or sleet buildup on the windshield. ........
    I used to think it would be handy to fill the intensive tank with de-ice fluid, but the system really doesn't work that way.

First, the jets are heated any time the key is on, there is not even a temperature switch like the heated door lock.

When you hit the Intensive washer button, fluid from the intensive tank is pumped for about 2 seconds and then the relay switches to the regular tank and starts a normal wash cycle, pumping from the normal tank. (See note under intensive wash switch in diagram below)

There are several cleaners made for cutting that greasy road grim, but they usually come in concentrated form so I'm not exactly sure what would be the best way to mix it and use it. Here are a couple of examples:

My Cars
    1987 M6, 30 Model A Cabriolet, 30 Model A project

Better than a keg in the trunk of a GTO!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcitydude200 View Post
    The difference in the two systems is the main fluid is for washing your windshield when it is mildly dirty, like every other car. When you activate the intensive, the fluid from the other system is dispensed onto the windshield and the washer jets are heated. The main use of the intensive system is for freezing conditions with ice or sleet buildup on the windshield. IF you live in cold, freezing conditions, it would be best to use the less diluted, "intensive" type antifreeze/fluid. If you don't use your car in that situation, no reason to even fill that tank. Heck, you could even do what we did to our Volkswagen in high school. Fill that tank with wiskey and run the tube into the glove box. When you need a shot, PRESTO!, bartender at the push of the button! Not that I would ever do that!
    Big American cars- fill the trunk with ice, push out the drain well plugs, holds 2 kegs side by side, cut hole in the rear seat "firewall" for the tap line.

If you lived where Coors was unavailable, you could boot leg 2 cases in each of the quarter panels between the back of front wheel well and just open the front doors and reach forward. Nice drive back from TN if you loaded with ice.They wouldn't get foamy before you sold them at a kegger at $1 each.

Now whiskey through the washer pump, that is as good as NOS at a party.
    Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

My Cars
    1986 635csi Schwarz
    so if i use some cheap whiskey in the intensive cleaner will it hurt the paint?
    Plus, how long can i suck on the washer nozzles before the regular cleaner kicks in?
    excuse me.. how long do i get my dumb friend to suck on the washer nozzles?
    Steve
    '86 635csi black
    '71 Jaguar XKE 2+2

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Quote Originally Posted by smiller View Post
    so if i use some cheap whiskey in the intensive cleaner will it hurt the paint?
    Plus, how long can i suck on the washer nozzles before the regular cleaner kicks in?
    excuse me.. how long do i get my dumb friend to suck on the washer nozzles?
    About 2 seconds, so fill the reg washer with lemonade and the intensive with rum and when it comes out the heated jets you've got a Hot Toddy, puts the kiddies right to sleep!

(Kids, don't try this at home )

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert e30 325is
    ^ what about the adults
    how do you activate the intesive wash thing?

My Cars
    89 635CSi, Nissan Murano
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine6And7 View Post
    ^ what about the adults
    how do you activate the intesive wash thing?
    I’m curious about that too, I have the bottle but can’t find reference to it anywhere in my documentation
    SprCpe
    1989 635csi # 3268410
    Built in Germany with love.
    Ostatecznym maszyny jazdy BMW

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Pull the washer/wiper stalk toward you to run the regular washer cycle and push the end of the stalk in towards the steering column to activate the intensive washer cycle.

There is a large arrow with an "S" in it on top of the stalk pointing to the steering column to indicate the proper direction. I don't know what the "S" stands for, but I think of it as standing for "Special".

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46

My Cars
    1986 635csi Schwarz
    I never noticed that before. both mine have it.
    So that means i can control how much rum and how much lemonade i use!!
    Steve
    '86 635csi black
    '71 Jaguar XKE 2+2

My Cars
    1973 2002tii, 1985 Euro M635, 2007 530i Sport
    Now if only I could figure out an ice dispenser!

My Cars
    1987 M6, 30 Model A Cabriolet, 30 Model A project

If I lean back over the center console will a Hooters girl pour the shots in my mouth

Lol
    Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

My Cars
    1986 635csi Schwarz
    the 87 has the cooler in the back maybe we can crank it up to make ice! I've always wondered about that. The BMW engineers didn't think we should be distracted with cupholders in the cars.. but they put a cooler in back designed to keep a 6pack cold. I guess they think you should stop periodically and toss back a cold one before continuing on!
    Steve
    '86 635csi black
    '71 Jaguar XKE 2+2

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by smiller View Post
    I guess they think you should stop periodically and toss back a cold one before continuing on!
    That is the safest way to drink and drive. Preserves your upholstery and carpets as well.

My Cars
    See sig
    so....i guess I am looking for clarification...my washer fluid light is on. i want to top off both tanks. for the non-concentrated, I can use any typical ww fluid? the car will see cold, but no snow.

For the concentrated, any ideas besides the one chris put up? I have never seen those products, though I confess I've never really looked for them. is there a bmw product I can get at the dealer?

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Just saw these at the store the other day, haven't tried them yet. Thought I would use the 2-in-1 in the main, and the de-icer in the intensive washer, they are both good to -25:

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windsh...g_Remover.aspx

Last edited by CW6er; 11-07-2008 at 03:22 AM.

My Cars
    One too many....
    Quote Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
    For the concentrated, any ideas besides the one chris put up? I have never seen those products, though I confess I've never really looked for them. is there a bmw product I can get at the dealer?

Just bought a bottle of intensive wash cleaner from the dealer. BMW part number 83 12 0 410 745. Directions on the bottle say to use it at full strength. I don't think the intensive wash tank has the fluid lever sensor that triggers the light on the check panel, but I may be wrong on that.
    Mine: 1988 635CSi Euro in Diamantschwarz Metallic, 1989 ALPINA B10 3.5 in Alpineweiss II, 1981 528i in Kastanienrot-Metallic, 1958 Isetta 300 currently in rust repair
    In the family: 1958 Isetta 300 in Federweiss/Pastellblau, 1987 635CSi, 2000 M5
    My YouTube Channel

My Cars
    2014 F30 328i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
    Big American cars- fill the trunk with ice, push out the drain well plugs, holds 2 kegs side by side, cut hole in the rear seat "firewall" for the tap line.

If you lived where Coors was unavailable, you could boot leg 2 cases in each of the quarter panels between the back of front wheel well and just open the front doors and reach forward. Nice drive back from TN if you loaded with ice.They wouldn't get foamy before you sold them at a kegger at $1 each.

Now whiskey through the washer pump, that is as good as NOS at a party.
    This is awesome, truly inspirational, Go Dawgs!
    5/1984 633csi 5-speed, delphin metallic, red leather, BBK, euro turns, style 5s, thule "555" & rack

My Cars
    See sig
    i have some of the rain-x all season sitting around. i used that in my honda. works quite well. for how much i use it, i might just buy the dealer stuff. trevor, how much was the dealer solution? and how much did you get?

My Cars
    One too many....
    I paid $7.25 for a 0.5 liter bottle, but this is Canada. Expect to pay somewhere around the $5.00 mark in the US.
    Mine: 1988 635CSi Euro in Diamantschwarz Metallic, 1989 ALPINA B10 3.5 in Alpineweiss II, 1981 528i in Kastanienrot-Metallic, 1958 Isetta 300 currently in rust repair
    In the family: 1958 Isetta 300 in Federweiss/Pastellblau, 1987 635CSi, 2000 M5
    My YouTube Channel

My Cars
    1995 540I and 525I
    Quote Originally Posted by CW6er View Post
    I used to think it would be handy to fill the intensive tank with de-ice fluid, but the system really doesn't work that way.

First, the jets are heated any time the key is on, there is not even a temperature switch like the heated door lock.

When you hit the Intensive washer button, fluid from the intensive tank is pumped for about 2 seconds and then the relay switches to the regular tank and starts a normal wash cycle, pumping from the normal tank. (See note under intensive wash switch in diagram below)

There are several cleaners made for cutting that greasy road grim, but they usually come in concentrated form so I'm not exactly sure what would be the best way to mix it and use it. Here are a couple of examples:

According to information I've found it says to use full strength and not diluted, can't remember where I saw it written might have been on the side of the Intensive bottle or in the manual.

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    I came across this thread a while back and never wanted to bump it due to the date but since someone already bumped the thread......

How does one activate the "intensive wash?" I don't think mine was never functional and it's about to get chilly in a month or two so I thought I'd get ready. Doubt it'd get below zero here but I've definitely had to deal with ice on the windshield.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    I don't have my manual handy right now.

I'm sure that I remember that the intensive fluid I bought from BMW

30 years ago was for splattered bugs on the windshield.

Had nothing to do with winter. The heat was to prevent ice clogging the nozzles.

I think the heat for the mirrors, door locks and nozzles turned on when the

freeze warning tone sounded when the temp reached 36 degrees.
    Last edited by 1986series6; 10-10-2017 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi A 5 Sp TCD Stage II
    Activate it by pulling the stalk forward (as you would to activate the normal washer ) and depress the button on the end of the stalk towards the wheel at the same time. As Chris said you'll get two seconds of mix into your normal de icer fluid from the intensive wash tank.
    Bob is right ; the intensive wash is all about washing grime off and nothing to do with de icing. The door lock heater duration and side view mirrors heat activation are ambient temp driven albeit with no particular connection to the freeze warning chime. However the washer jet nozzles heat up when the car is turned on regardless of ambient temp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast