Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with HID Fogs.

My Cars
    '86 325es

Need help with HID Fogs.

I purchased a set of Slim kit 35w HID kit from BavToys. I just got around to installing the fog lights and after making all the connections, when I turn the fog lights on, the bulbs flicker and then go out. Sometimes they flicker once, sometimes a few times, but go out. I have turned them of and on about 30 times and the each time they flicker and go out. Anyone run into this issue and was able to solve it?

My Cars
    Bmw 540i/6; 530i/5
    go drive and turn them on and off... see if that helps... if not the slim kits probably dont have enough power to ignite...

my passenger side does this same thing, but while driving if i turn it off and on... it starts working

FS:NEW_BF_Goodrich_245/35/17

My Cars
    '09 335i 6mt, '80 cb750
    Do you have resistors installed? Like Racerx0911, I have a similar issue now & then but not that often. BTW, I have the same kit from Bavtoys.
    German Engineering, Astounding Ingenuity, Over 9 Decades of Conceptual Continuity

My Cars
    '86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by KMFDM26 View Post
    Do you have resistors installed? Like Racerx0911, I have a similar issue now & then but not that often. BTW, I have the same kit from Bavtoys.
    Not sure what you mean by resistors. Any chance for a link?

Have you tried to contact bavtoys regarding the issues?

My Cars
    '86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx0911 View Post
    go drive and turn them on and off... see if that helps... if not the slim kits probably dont have enough power to ignite...

my passenger side does this same thing, but while driving if i turn it off and on... it starts working
    I'm not sure i understand how the kit could not have enough power to ignite, isn't the power going to the kit 55W and the kit is only 35W. To me that would mean that it has penalty of juice

My Cars
    '09 335i 6mt, '80 cb750
    German Engineering, Astounding Ingenuity, Over 9 Decades of Conceptual Continuity

My Cars
    2003 540i - M-Sport
    contact bav toys i'm sure they will have some tips
    2003 540i M-Sport - Sterling Grey/Black Leather
    GPS | PP | Rear Shades | Intravee II | Valentine 1 | 35w ProLumen HID Fog Lights w/3000k bulbs | 35% Formula One Pinnacle Series Ceramic Tint | Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 83mm | Eibach Rear Sway Bar | Weichers Front Strut Tower Brace | Racing Dynamics CAI | Stealthone | Sound by Focal/JL Audio/Arc Audio

DPE Wheels for Sale....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post26952145

My Cars
    '86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
    contact bav toys i'm sure they will have some tips
    I wrote them an e-mail 2 days ago and still no word. If you ask me i think their customer service get a 2 out of 10. I'v had issues with them before

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    dude those kits are POS (habbies kits)...they suck ass but are good when they are on. i got a set from ddm we shall see if these are better... heres with tinkering how i got them to come on....
    1. fogs on the ON position so before you turn the car on
    2. put the low beam switch to the on position so only the AEs are on
    3. then put the car into positon one or turn on the ignition it should turn on...

the key is to have the lights and fogs on before you turn the car on

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    ballasts do funny things. I had some cheap crap garbage ballasts on my fogs and Prolumens on my lowbeams... they all worked fine every time, no flickering or anything. the crap ones started causing problems with my LCM so I switched the ballasts and now the Prolumens flicker for like 10 seconds before igniting the fogs... Sometimes they won't even turn on. The cheap ones work just fine on the low beams.... I dont get it.

My Cars
    '86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by defaz View Post
    ballasts do funny things. I had some cheap crap garbage ballasts on my fogs and Prolumens on my lowbeams... they all worked fine every time, no flickering or anything. the crap ones started causing problems with my LCM so I switched the ballasts and now the Prolumens flicker for like 10 seconds before igniting the fogs... Sometimes they won't even turn on. The cheap ones work just fine on the low beams.... I dont get it.
    After playing with the setup for about an hour today and swapping between difference components of the HID setup, I’m pretty sure the issue has to do with the "type" of power which is supplied to the fogs via the cars stock harness. If i plug in the HID wiring setup that I’m using for the fogs into the stock harness for the low beam lights, everything works, but when i plug in the same exact setup into the stock harness for the fog lights, i get the flicker and then the lights shuts off. I have no clue why this is happening and what could be casing it. Any experts can shed some light on the issue?

My Cars
    '86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
    dude those kits are POS (habbies kits)...they suck ass but are good when they are on. i got a set from ddm we shall see if these are better... heres with tinkering how i got them to come on....
    3. then put the car into positon one or turn on the ignition it should turn on...

This actuly did work, thanks. Have you been able to figure out why and for what reason this happens? Any luck getting help from BavToys? Please let me know how the ddm kit works out. Thanks for your help

My Cars
    '86 325es
    It looks like that setup is to get rid of the Low Beam Error message, not the issue i'm having

My Cars
    '00 540i 6-speed Sport /// '94 Z28 Camaro 'vert
    I bought the same kit and it works fine for me

What year is your car?
    FOR SALE '00 540i 6-speed 101k mi - 260 RWHP & 311 RWTQ - OEM '00 M5 tails, OEM '03 M-tech rear bumper, Magnaflow, 6000k fogs, CDV delete, M5 rear swaybar, Akebono ceramic pads, Brembo rotors, AMSOIL, etc.

My Cars
    '09 335i 6mt, '80 cb750
    Quote Originally Posted by 540ig5 View Post
    It looks like that setup is to get rid of the Low Beam Error message, not the issue i'm having
    Its designed to get rid of the check fogs msg too. I'm surprised you're not getting that msg. When mine would flicker & go out, I'de get the msg.

My Cars
    '86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by 00BMW540i6 View Post
    I bought the same kit and it works fine for me

What year is your car?

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    ithink it has to do with the dme and readinghow much power to give off.... dunno but my method works.. .thats all i can say but it is annoying i bought another kit from DDM the 50w kit hopefully it goes away.... if not im sticking the 50w into my highs and call it a day...

My Cars
    99 540I, 2000 328ci
    Ok, I think I'ma a little late but here it goes. When I was installing my HID's in my fogs I ran into this problem. The reason they don't stay on is because the LCM thinks there is either no bulb or its burnt so it sends no power to that socket, since there is not enough resistance. Some people have said to stick a bulb socket right before the splug for the fogs and stick a 12v bulb in there to send resistance, but thats kind of ghetto. At my local autozone I found these little resistors designed for use with LED's. Most autozone's should have them where they keep their little colored bulbs. They worked fine I spliced them into the stock cable right before they plug into the HID's. If you go this route find a good place to mount these resistors as they get pretty hot, same as a light bulb. Good luck

My Cars
    2013 BMW F10 M5
    sorry to bring this back up..but my problem is that i tried that method where i turn the lights on before the car..and it did work..but only once..

my issue is my passenger side lights up but my driver side doesn't. i swapped them about 2 days ago and they both surprisingly worked..BUT they weren't in the socket..they were just hanging down..i put them back in the socket and figured that i solved everything but...i guess not

this morning i tried to mess around with it and the same issue still happens..passenger side lights and the drivers side doesn't...man this is getting annoyin..

My Cars
    E90 335i, E39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by verdugo135 View Post
    Ok, I think I'ma a little late but here it goes. When I was installing my HID's in my fogs I ran into this problem. The reason they don't stay on is because the LCM thinks there is either no bulb or its burnt so it sends no power to that socket, since there is not enough resistance. Some people have said to stick a bulb socket right before the splug for the fogs and stick a 12v bulb in there to send resistance, but thats kind of ghetto. At my local autozone I found these little resistors designed for use with LED's. Most autozone's should have them where they keep their little colored bulbs. They worked fine I spliced them into the stock cable right before they plug into the HID's. If you go this route find a good place to mount these resistors as they get pretty hot, same as a light bulb. Good luck
    I am having this exact same issue but instead of rigging something myself, I ordered these

my halogen fogs would work

but when the HID kit was plugged it I got nothing

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    That's all you need.

Both of you probably have lo-obc, like i do. I never got a bulb out message, but i did get the flicker. the flicker is the bulb out message for lo-obc.

get the resisters or the warning cancellers from ddm.

read the thread below. it's about some douche bag with blinking fog lights and his quest to smack-a-hoe.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1120335

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i

That has been working for me like a charm! and it's the cheaper alternative
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    E90 335i, E39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
    I wish this worked for me

I'll post an update when I get the cancellation units

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
    rofl im glad i could help bud... haha back to that header project...

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    rofl im glad i could help bud... haha back to that header project...
    Don't remind me. I want to do it....but I don't. Money is tight.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast