Thread: One fix for rattles

My Cars
    03 540iA

One fix for rattles

Ever since I got my car, especially after I've worked on it, my car rattles like a bucket of bolts. Someone pointed out that I don't torque things down properly and things have been working loose. I've gone back and retorqued everything I've touched and things got better but I've continued to have the most annoying rattle on the right rear. After reading and researching, I started testing to see if it was better or worse when braking and sure enough, it went completely away under braking.

I completely removed all pads and put three good coats of anti squeel/rattle spray on them - allowing 10 minutes between coats. When I first installed them, I used the compound that came with the pads. This stuff was a blue spray and more tacky than greasy. I put everything back together and went out for a drive and it's night and day better. I've got a few more rattles in the toolkit and passenger front seat to work on, but getting close to sounding like a brand new $50K car. Thanks to the forum for the good info. If you've got rattles which go away when braking, go spray up your pads.
    03 540iA finally sorted out

My Cars
    525i
    i need to do this to my car
    "Lieber Nurburgring als Ehering"

My Cars
    550i S, Hemi 5.7, Mazda
    I have a rattle as well, but I think I've narrowed it down to the fact that my rear right brake has no retaining clip! It can also be the result of thin rotors that wobble

2007 550i Sport - Jet Black - Muffler Gone ^^ (3.5" SS pipes>2x 3" tips), Smoked LED side markers, ECU Tune

My Cars
    03 540iA
    The fix wasn't permanent. It's only been a few weeks and the rattle is back. Maybe the rattle clip is too old and tired - I've bought new ones.
    03 540iA finally sorted out

My Cars
    See Sig
    I have about five seperate rattles. The most annoying are the sunroof and somewhere in the dash...followed closely by passenger seat and tool kit. Brakes are being done shortly with new anti-rattle/chatter clips and a good amount of the anti-squeal.

I think that once the new shocks/springs go in, that may help with a lot of the rattling too. We'll see.
    '03 E39 2.5-Black Sapphire 64K
    '94 FD RX7 R2-VR Bone Stock 37K
    '05 TJ Rubicon-Pat. Blue 36K

My Cars
    2001 540i

Rattle Rattle Rattle

I had a rattle in my roof two years ago. I paid the dealer $125.00 for a diagnosis. Within 5 minutes he quoted an $1800.00 dollar fix. (The entire assembly would have to be replaced) Quote/Unquote. I declined thinking I would write to BMW NA because the car had less than 40K.
    On the way home I stopped at a repair shop by the house specializing in Eurpean Autos. A tech fixed the rattle in 5 minutes with a dab of strategially placed grease with a long cotton tip and the rattle has never returned.
    The owner/manager said no charge. I gave the tech a $20.00 tip. I would nave given more but no hard money at the time.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bware0023 View Post
    I have about five seperate rattles. The most annoying are the sunroof and somewhere in the dash...followed closely by passenger seat and tool kit.
    I had a very annoying rattle from the front/dash area. Dealer was not able to fix it either.
    I found that the 3 torx screws were somehow loose. That fixed the problem. Pic is from e38 board, but that's where our screws are.
    Dash.jpg

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Turn up the radio! =)

LOL

I hate rattels >_<
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    See Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Knight View Post
    I had a rattle in my roof two years ago. I paid the dealer $125.00 for a diagnosis. Within 5 minutes he quoted an $1800.00 dollar fix. (The entire assembly would have to be replaced) Quote/Unquote. I declined thinking I would write to BMW NA because the car had less than 40K.
    On the way home I stopped at a repair shop by the house specializing in Eurpean Autos. A tech fixed the rattle in 5 minutes with a dab of strategially placed grease with a long cotton tip and the rattle has never returned.
    Any idea where he strategically placed the grease?

My Cars
    See Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    I had a very annoying rattle from the front/dash area. Dealer was not able to fix it either.
    I found that the 3 torx screws were somehow loose. That fixed the problem. Pic is from e38 board, but that's where our screws are.
    Dash.jpg
    Thanks for the info. I have tightened those down and rattle is still there. Actually it sounds like it is coming from the cover to the CD player, or somewhere behind that area. I'd hate to have to rip the dash open, but it is one of those sounds that just gets on my nerves.