Thread: warped dash issue

My Cars
    ISTANBL - vert e46

warped dash issue

hi folks

I have that warped dash problem. I found a site through a post here on how to fix it.

My question is : where do I get that metal part and the rivets? From the dealer? How much do I have to pay for them?

For labor, it says it would take 10FRU. How much US$ would that translate into ?

has anyone had it done at the dealer? how much did you pay for the whole fix?

thanks
    --hikmet

My Cars
    e46 330i
    What is the link to the fix page?

I may have a similar problem. Thanks!

Traction possible thanks to a Diffsonline 3:38 LSD

My Cars
    ISTANBL - vert e46

My Cars
    e46 330i
    Thanks! I have it happening on my drivers side vent as well. I wonder if there is a fix-it kit for that as well???

I think everything that you need (aside from the glue and tools) is included in the specified part numbers on the write up.

I am going to the dealer now to check on the price!

Thanks!

My Cars
    ISTANBL - vert e46
    please write back about it when you're back.

and good luck
    --h.

My Cars
    e46 330i
    Can't make it to the dealer today. :

I looked at the .PDF that the site provided and it gave a list of what was included in the repair kit. I think the most expensive part is the loctite. :

I believe the site said the repair kit was $10 or so.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    I just did the fix this weekend, though I have had the bracket for about a year.

The adhesive, and the primer are all that are really required. The rivets really do not do anything. If the adhesive lets loose, the rivets are not going to stop the dash from popping back up.

The kit costs about $20 from Pacific BMW. The adhesive (Loctite 380, and 770 primer) is about $25 I think. The primer only goes on the plastic. I used a foam brush and spread the primer onto the plastic. Let it dry, then put the adhesive on the metal part and clamped it in place. The results are not perfect. I think that the dash part shrinks a bit which curls the front lip away from the vent part. Proabably the only way to get a perfect dash would be to buy a new one, or install from a 95 or newer. Mine looks pretty much like this...

...*maybe* a little better, but not much. I had read his article before doing mine, and I tried to avoid the front curling up like that, but I was not able to get it any better. C'est la vie...it is better than before.

You can find a little more information about this in this thread...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...threadid=27410

All-in-all, worth the effort and cost, I just wish it were like new

hikmet, email me if you would like to see it in person some day. Lunch time during the week is best for me.

Good luck,
    Bernman
    Last edited by Bernman; 02-08-2004 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    ISTANBL - vert e46
    Thanks for the info Bernman. I will stop by the dealer and grab the kit this week.

As for seeing it, I would want to. However I work in the south city and could be taking a long time to go and return. Do you come at all to this side during weekends? Maybe for a breakfast in half moon bay It's a nice place.

btw, just out of curiousity, what's that "stuff" in your 325is? (I have a 94 325is as well, all black inside & outside though except for the rims)

best
    --hikmet

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Here are a few threads about "stuff" on my car

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...&threadid=3476
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=11540
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=63433

I also have powerflex trailing arm bushings, a new steering rack, 96 M3 swaybars, and probably some other "stuff" I can't remember

I have had this car since it came off the lot in 1994, and have driven 99.5% of the 96,000+ miles. I still love driving it every day.

Happy driving!
    Bernman

My Cars
    ISTANBL - vert e46
    I bought mine only 3-4 months ago. Apparently the previous owner has spent a lot in aftermarket items, including bilsteins.

Mine is an auto trans and at 133K miles. Yet it's been very well looked after. The only problem is the power. I want more

I am thinking of a supercharger as it is affordable compared to a turbocharger. I can't change my car at this time, though it would be nice to get an m3.

best
    --hikmet