Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kubica's Crash

My Cars
    981, e90 M3
    On a side note, Kubica's crash and Hamilton's win made it onto CNN's morning report.

I can't remember seeing F1 coverage on CNN before.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
    i dont see what the big deal is. he didnt get hit in the head, the impact was absorbed well and he was wearing a hans device.
    You don't understand crashes very well then. The G-forces involved in that crash were BIG!

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts View Post
    ... The G-forces involved in that crash were BIG!
    +1 Would like to see what the g-meter pegged at when he found the 1st wall. Had to be enormous- hard to believe he made it out alive!
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    06 530xi Touring, 02 330xi, CL-S, 350ZR, Wrangler
    i dont see what the big deal is. he didnt get hit in the head, the impact was absorbed well and he was wearing a hans device.

had he not had a hans device he could have died for sure
    You're kidding right?? I was at the race and was one of the hundreds of spectators who went down onto the track after. We took some pics of the gouges in the track, concrete chunks that were busted off the retaining walls, pieces of carbon fiber everywhere, dented armco, skidmarks, you name it. It was unbelievable he lived and as someone else said, I saw his head roll to the right very Senna-esque . . . . thinking for sure, he was dead. I watched the entire thing happen right before my eyes and to say it is a miracle, is an understatement. He was going b/n 180-190 mph when he hit nearly head-on.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Sole reason for Kubica surviving goes to the technology in the modern F1 race car that absorbs impact energy, or as much of it as possible, to "slow" the impact for the driver. Even at that rate in which Kubica deccelerated, i was sure he would of had at least some kind of internal bleeding, organ shifts, or brain damage. But it is a true testament to F1 technology that all he received was a sprained ankle and a slight concussion.

My Cars
    A/W Coral 135
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan View Post
    You're kidding right?? I was at the race and was one of the hundreds of spectators who went down onto the track after. We took some pics of the gouges in the track, concrete chunks that were busted off the retaining walls, pieces of carbon fiber everywhere, dented armco, skidmarks, you name it. It was unbelievable he lived and as someone else said, I saw his head roll to the right very Senna-esque . . . . thinking for sure, he was dead. I watched the entire thing happen right before my eyes and to say it is a miracle, is an understatement. He was going b/n 180-190 mph when he hit nearly head-on.

Post the pictures if you can please.

Like many of you I thought the worst. I was just hoping we wouldn't see Nick pull into the pits and get out of the car out of respect for his lost teamate. I was really expecting that. Unreal safety in those cars.

My Cars
    1987 325is Sleeper
    I think at that location on the track they should use that new safer barrier system they developed for NASCAR and other US tracks.

I was on my knees in front of my TV, almost in tears watching that.

Seemed like a few more feet to the drivers right and it would have been head on. I dont ever want to see that again.
    Cheers,
    -----Richard -----"Family Guy Budget Racer"-----
    Delphin Metallic '87 325is sleeper (Cardinal Red interior) money pit

My Cars
    97' M3

had he not had a hans device he could have died for sure
    170mph into a wall. Thats a big deal.

I didnt know people as retarded as you could use a computer. Nice post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThAGGM8vTmk
    Last edited by M3BimmerBilly; 06-11-2007 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphin Metalic View Post
    I think at that location on the track they should use that new safer barrier system they developed for NASCAR and other US tracks.
    OT- developed by INDY Car and adopted by nascar
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    1996 M3
    The SAFER barrier or tyre barriers can be used at that spot. It certainly would of helped.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliusPleaser View Post
    On a side note, Kubica's crash and Hamilton's win made it onto CNN's morning report.

I can't remember seeing F1 coverage on CNN before.
    Yea no kidding.

Canadian European Car Magazine & Forum

My Cars
    I've been going to that race for 19 years in a row now and have never seen a car hit the wall where Kubica's did-not even close. If it wasn't for the wall, he would've plowed straight into a pack of about 4 cars going back down the straightaway! I'll try and post the pics I spoke of above later. As it was, he narrowly missed Kimi.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Just heard that Kubica's out of the hospital and talking about flying out to Indy. He wants to get back in his race car as early as next weekend's USGP?

More power to him!

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Crazy crazy race all around. I was very fearful for Kubica. That impact looked horrible. Both my wife and I were a bit unnerved.

Glad he's okay. I give it a 75% chance he'll be in a car at Indy. Wow. And people doubt the technology coming out of racing has value... this stuff always ends up filtering down.
    2005 M3 Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black Leather 6-speed
    1997 M3 Coupe Arctic Silver/Black Leather 5-speed (sold)

My Cars
    Fleet

I was certain I just watched one of my favorite drivers die on TV. Couldn't even talk for a few minutes... Absolutely amazed that he came away virtually unscathed. Remarkable testament to modern F1 safety.
    miklm :: [http://www.miklm.com]
    BMW CCA Member No. 368285: Heart of Dixie Chapter

My Cars
    [quote=carreraboy911;9778755]to walk away from such a horrific accident with a broken leg is a miracle

Carreraboy911: those are NOT his legs for if they were, he would have ~6 foot long legs. Look at frontal shots of the crash and you 'll see they are brake cylinders.

My Cars
    Fleet
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan View Post
    Carreraboy911: those are NOT his legs for if they were, he would have ~6 foot long legs. Look at frontal shots of the crash and you 'll see they are brake cylinders.
    No, its pretty clearly his feet sticking out.

Higher-res image:

And a straight-on shot:

That's a Puma racing shoe if I've ever seen one.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by miklm View Post

And a straight-on shot:

That's a Puma racing shoe if I've ever seen one.
    I'm not trying to join the argument here, but I don't see it. Could you p-shop and arrow or something?
    TANSTAAFL!!!

My Cars
    Fleet
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane2871 View Post
    I'm not trying to join the argument here, but I don't see it. Could you p-shop and arrow or something?
    I thought it was pretty obvious, but maybe this helps:

Quick and dirty; I can enhance them more etc. once I get home... The first shot is obviously from the first image above, zoomed in on his feet. You can even see the lacing in the race boot.

The second is zoomed from the second picture; you're looking at the bottom of a pair of Puma race boots, as outlined.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Those do look like his feet in the side shot, although he does appear to have quite long legs...how tall is he?

But in the straight-on shot of the nose, I don't see it. Look back to the sideshot and see how much "stuff" is past where his feet are. There's no way you would be looking directly at the bottom of his feet from that straight-on angle -- there's too much stuff in the way. Plus, you can see metal brackets and hardware around them...his feet are 9-12 inches behind that point, IMHO. You very well could be right...but it looks a little weird to me.

My Cars
    2012 VW GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanlong01 View Post
    Those do look like his feet in the side shot, although he does appear to have quite long legs...how tall is he?
    6'2 I believe.

My Cars
    Fleet
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfly View Post
    6'2 I believe.
    I've searched high and low online, and can't find any official information. I do seem to recall that he was taller than average though, so 6'2" sounds ok to me.

Certainly tall enough that, having sheard the nose off, his feet would reach outside the monocoque.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Why are we even arguing whether those are his feet or not? You can clearly see his feet. His legs aren't overly long...you've got to realize that he's literally laying in the seat. The nose didn't shear off...instead, the nose portion that is designed to absorb an impact shattered as it is designed to do and the impact was stopped by the bulkhead that the pedals and master cylinders attach to, as it is designed to do. The bulkhead stopping the impact saved his legs...it was a HUGE impact though, as half of the structural bulkhead is obviously missing in the pictures.

My Cars
    981, e90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by miklm View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious, but maybe this helps:

Holy crap. I can't believe this is even an issue. Those are his FEET. Anybody who knows anything about OWR or human anatomy would recognize them as FEET.

Kubica is the tallest driver on the F1 grid. Not that it matters - any other driver would have feet down there too.

Thanks for the laughs.

My Cars
    2011 m3 4-door; 2016 x5
    I didn't watch it live but just to clarify how he got so off course he clipped someones rear tire while going through the flat out turn? Its kind of hard to tell from the youtube video...you just see him going at the wall really fast.

Regardless it was a horrific wreck. I can't even imagine what was going through is head when his front tires lifted up and he braced for impact.
    99 Dakar M3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast