Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1213

Thread: Stick rests at 5th gear when cold

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 M3/4, X5 3.5d

Angry

Dang! I just did my clutch and SSK but did not do this repair because I was not aware that it would not be fixed by the SSK install. Mine sticks only when cold,...but sounds like it will get worse and I will eventually need to pull the tranny again. #$#&!#&!*

This should go down as a maintenance fix for everyone when they pull the tranny. Wish I had known

My Cars
    98 M3, 93 325is, 2011 X5
    I'm not sure it'll get worse - I drove mine like that for a year or so before having the opportunity to fix it. It was just damned annoying

But yeah, definitely a "while you're in there" - depending on how annoyed you are, that is.

Jim

My Cars
    97 M3

It can get worse!

I've been dealing with this issue for a while.

I have a 97 (10/06) M3 with 103K on it and a lot of other expensive crap to include a high perf clutch, UUC SSK, and LTW flywheel...

I bought the car with 54K on it and no issues. Shifter/5th issue showed up around 60K but didn't bother me. Around 75K, I had significant trouble getting into 5th when at ~120+ mph (let's just say I was in Germany). At this point you do need 5th in response to the earlier RPM postings etc. Again, not a common thing so it didn't bother me and thus I didn't fix it.

Around 98K on Halloween in Denver at ~35 degrees I pull out of a parking lot and nothing... as in no gates! That'd be 1-5 and R!

Leave the car and return to pick it up later after having towed to a friend's place. Still nothing, it's like the shifter wasn't connected to anything. Yes, I checked the linkages etc. Eventually, I somehow get it into third and limp 60 miles to my garage. Test it in the driveway and everything is back. WTF?

Many episodes later... the problem only happens in the fall winter and spring i.e. cold weather. Same issue which happens all the time with some or all of the gates missing?!?! (3-5 is usually the first to go.) This is even after 30+ minutes of tranny warming.

Of course I recently found this post (and read it all dammit) about two months after the new clutch. $*)%#&! I'm off to the dealer in about a week when the snow is all gone. Wish me luck and I hope none of you have this bad of a problem. If you have the '5th sticking problem', get it fixed. M3s DO NOT look cool on the back of a tow truck!

BTW - Sorry for the novel... and has anyone tried a Metric Mechanic Transmission?

My Cars
    97 M3/4 Byzanz/Magma; 01 330i Silver/Grey

No need to tow it

This problem should in no way cause you to require a tow. It only effects your ability to quickly find the correct gear, they do not disappear. You just don't have the centering springs helping you quickly find the "gates."

If you take your time you should be able to use all of the gears and drive the car relatively normally.

My Cars
    E36s/E90/T-Diesel
    I just read 5 years of history.. WOW I love this forum to dead.

I have a tranny in my garage that has this problem and I never knew what or how to fix it until now. Thanks for all the info guys.

But I got a new one: how about a the ZF that get stuck in 5th gear? Does anybody knows why and how to fix it? we try to get it from 5th to neutral and it doesn't blink..
    BMW-PC F80 M3 HotLapFormula 1000 Video │ 3 Time NASA-SE GTS2 Champ │ TRM Stg.2, Coilovers & Tuning │ Racing Videos[/CENTER]

My Cars
    1996 328i
    To save everyone the time it took me to read through this thread, I have created PDFs of BMW's fix and the Roundel article that first mentions fixing the problem. Hope they help...

-BMW Fix
    -Roundel Article

*WORKING*
    Last edited by Josh328; 10-17-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Josh

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh328 View Post
    To save everyone the time it took me to read through this thread, I have created PDFs of BMW's fix and the Roundel article that first mentions fixing the problem. Hope they help...

-BMW Fix
    -Roundel Article
    This should be added to the first post.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    Wow...I remember dealing with this problem 3 years ago...

-Nate
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2007 335i Sport - Euro Delivery - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    1996 328i
    mods: any way we can sticky my post and put my PDFs on the first page of the thread to save everyone 42 pages of reading?

thanks,
    Last edited by Josh328; 08-25-2007 at 03:04 PM.
    Josh

My Cars
    1998 M3
    my 5th gear enjoys popping out into neutral around 120.. will the 5th gear fix correct my problem?

or new shifter bushings?

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by tEckniks View Post
    my 5th gear enjoys popping out into neutral around 120.. will the 5th gear fix correct my problem?

or new shifter bushings?
    That sounds like a worn gear dog to me.

Doug

'97 M3/4

in soviet russia, cheezburger can haz you!
    My Cars
    2003 E46/16 (330xi)
    Just called the dealership about this problem. My clutch is going so this seems like the time to take care of everything at once (hopefully at least partially under CPO).

The service guy said that almost assuredly sounds like my problem except that it's not covered by CPO because my car doesn't apply to the bulletin (I think he had the same one linked above: BMW FIX) as it was built in 02/2003 and the bulletin goes up to cars manufactured by 01/2003.

What's my next step? Call BMW NA? What should I say to them?

www.xiftw.com

2003 330xi
    UUC Stg2 Flywheel, M5 Clutch, GruppeM, UUC Slotted/AxxisULTs,
    H&R RSB, CSLs/General UHPs, Rogue Pulleys

My Cars
    2003 E46/16 (330xi)
    Immediate update: Just called BMW NA and they said that I have to talk to the dealership and that they can't look up the service bulletins for the issue.. Definitely getting thrown for a loop here. Any ideas?

www.xiftw.com

2003 330xi

My Cars
    01 330Ci 5 Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by tsylatac View Post
    Immediate update: Just called BMW NA and they said that I have to talk to the dealership and that they can't look up the service bulletins for the issue.. Definitely getting thrown for a loop here. Any ideas?
    Is your transmission covered under CPO? They are not telling you it's normal are they?
    If they don't want to do the cheap fix then I guess they'll need to give you a new/rebuilt transmission oh and while they are in there they can change the clutch and deduct the hours needed for dropping the transmission for the clutch job.

My Cars
    2003 E46/16 (330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by EIAlfonso View Post
    Is your transmission covered under CPO? They are not telling you it's normal are they?
    If they don't want to do the cheap fix then I guess they'll need to give you a new/rebuilt transmission oh and while they are in there they can change the clutch and deduct the hours needed for dropping the transmission for the clutch job.
    That was the idea. The dealer told me that the fix not covered by CPO and they weren't going to pay for it because the bulletin ended a month before my car was "built" but they said that was most likely the problem.

I called BMW NA and they said that they can't do anything and that I should talk to the dealer.

www.xiftw.com

2003 330xi

My Cars
    01 330Ci 5 Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by tsylatac View Post
    That was the idea. The dealer told me that the fix not covered by CPO and they weren't going to pay for it because the bulletin ended a month before my car was "built" but they said that was most likely the problem.

I called BMW NA and they said that they can't do anything and that I should talk to the dealer.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but you should just have them give you a new transmission.
    Am I wrong?

My Cars
    2003 E46/16 (330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by EIAlfonso View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but you should just have them give you a new transmission.
    Am I wrong?
    So how do I convince the dealer to do that after they just told me that they won't because the service bulletin ended for cars a month before mine was put together?

www.xiftw.com

2003 330xi

My Cars
    01 330Ci 5 Speed
    Why do yo need to convince them?

1) Your car is under CPO
    2) Transmission is covered under CPO (I'm assuming this)
    3) Your transmission is broken and they agree (I'm assuming this)
    4) Drop the car off and let them fix it however they see fit

What they are saying is the "fix" does not apply to your vehicle, OK then they need to come up with another solution to fix it which means new transmission.
    BMW replaced thousands of transmission before this bulletin came out. If the bulletin doesn't apply to your car then you are another tranny that needs to be replaced. I really don't see a valid argument from them.
    Last edited by EIAlfonso; 11-07-2007 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh328 View Post

-BMW Fix
    -Roundel Article

*WORKING*
    Quote Originally Posted by fishforlife View Post
    on what page is the fix located. i dont mind reading but 42 pages is ridiculous.
    There ya go Dave

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX
    CLIFF-NOTES:

Post #869
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeron View Post
    Has anyone NOT replaced the pin and springs and wishes that they DID replace them?
    The TIS instructions are to clean the pins but the pins are coated and the coating is probably damaged.

Summary:

You have to drop the tranny to make the repair so read this:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ch_Replace.htm

The TIS repair instructions are in post 755-762.
    Posts 834-835 have links to TIS pics.
    Posts 789, 845-846 are good.
    I recommend at least reading everything after 755.

The bushing kit in the TIS is 23-11-7-542-726 $5 and you need need two if you plan to do both 5th and reverse.

Here are the pin and spring part #'s from the ETK. Prices are from Pelican Parts:
    23311224817 $2.50 Top Spring (reverse)
    23311224849 $10.40 Top Pin (reverse)
    23311224935 $2.00 Bottom Spring (5th)
    23317502165 $7.20 Bottom Pin (5th)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...29&hg=23&fg=15

Can someone make and official summary so everyone doesnt have to read the whole thread?
    Post #870
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonM3 View Post
    I got the kit today, two of them infact. Is this what everyone else got?

Just giving a thread bump, and helping future viewers out.

Your gear lever sticking in the 5th gear position is NOT a transmission fluid problem. The cause is the 5th Gear locking pin (aka: piston) bushes. You can also replace the reverse 'bushes' if you have an overly stiff reverse engagements.

"Bushes" are often called "Bushings" in many of the posts. The "Bushes" are the housings that the piston/pins slide in and out of and that start to bind, causing the problem. The bushes have a teflon coating on the inside that wear out/absorb oil and lose their low-friction ability. The bushing/bushes are in the tranny casing and guides the lock pin/piston. Do NOT sand the inner portion of the new bushes otherwise you'll remove the teflon.

Their are arguments both for and against sanding/polishing the piston/pin to make it slide in and out of the new bushes, from what i've read everyone who replaced the bushes regardless of sanding the piston/pin or not no longer had the problem. Those who JUST sanded the old piston and did not upgrade the bushes did not have the problem fixed permanently.

You need to drop the tranny to replace them, if you need to replace your clutch, its a good idea to replace it then regardless if you have a problem or not as it is very inexpensive.

Good information that I sifted through can be found on:
    Read Post 755 (imo 782) on..
    Read Post 864 on...
    Post 869 & 870 (above)
    Post 871 on...
    Post 901-912

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Stuntman; 01-16-2008 at 02:16 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4 Byzanz/Magma; 01 330i Silver/Grey
    Good summary.

The pins stick because the coating(Teflon) on the bushing wears away. There is no reason to sand, polish or replace the pins or springs.

My 870-ish posts detail some of the problems I had. My 5th and Rev repairs are still working great.

My Cars
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
    THis is a great thread to be able to refer to. My 5th has gotten progessively worse, not to the point yet where i am going to do the repair-yet.
    RLTW

My Cars
    1998 M3
    i really don't know why this would happen, but maybe try a new selector rod and/or bushings. UUC's DSSR is good. It takes the play out of the whole mechanism and makes it more precise..just a thought

My Cars
    1998 M3
    this is the same thing i also got buying the fix kit.. im guessing this is the fix?

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by tEckniks View Post
    this is the same thing i also got buying the fix kit.. im guessing this is the fix?

Yes it is.

This may help too...

1. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6&postcount=11

2. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0&postcount=29

Both of those posts can be found in the complete thread - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=5th+gear

Doug

'97 M3/4

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast