Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Ipod factory option on mar+ 3 series. (pics inside)

My Cars
    MINI Cooper S, BMWs

new Ipod factory option on mar+ 3 series. (pics inside)

I know I had mentioned it before, but the ipod adapter/usb adapter will now be available as a factory installed option. it will be in the center console where the current aux-in is now.

I even have some pics to share...

that will be in the console...

you use this cable to hook your ipod to it... it will also allow ANY usb thumb drive (you can get 8 gigs+) with mp3 files on it to work great.

and this is what it looks like on the nav screen
    (it also works on non-nav cars)

so if you have a car that hasn't gone into production yet... call your CA and have them add this from the factory if you are interested!

My Cars
    '10 Mazda6
    You would post this just 1 day after I took delivery and found out how disappointing the accessory iPod kit is! Of course, sarcasm aside, thanks for continuing to give us the "insiders" info on what's going on.

Any idea if the functionality will be the same as the current iPod kit even though it connects differently?
    Current:
    2010 Mazda6iT
    2007 Honda CR-V EX-L
    2009 Kawasaki Concours14 Black (my true summer ride)
    1996 Honda Nighthawk 750

Past:
    2007 E90 335i-6MT-SG/Black/Al-ZPP-ZSP-Navi-Heated-CA-iPod-Blacklines
    2002 MB C230K Coupe
    2000 Altima SE (Ugh...)
    1990 CRX Si (the one that got away)

My Cars
    MINI Cooper S, BMWs
    it's hard to say... I won't know until I've seen one in person. my guess is that it will be the same, but I could be wrong. I do know that this one works along with a cd changer... the accessory one replaces the cd changer.

My Cars
    E92 328i, 350Z(gone/lemon)
    That sounds like a cool option. Any info if they can retro fit it(like with bluetooth)? Or is it a strictly factory option?

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe, 2002 325i
    Strictly factory.

My Cars
    BMW 330cd Sport

Further iPod Info

This is info on option 6FL I received from my UK Dealer today - copied out of an offical BMW PDF Document...

BMW Group VZ-42
    December, 20th 2006

Announcement: Compatible Apple iPod Devices and MP3Player
    With the new option „USB-Audio-Interface“ (option 6FL) the following mp3
    players can be connected to the vehicle and operated via the control
    elements in the vehicle from March 07:
    • Apple: iPod devices of the 4th (with Click Wheel) and 5th generation (iPod
    Video), as well as iPod devices with colour display (including iPod
    photo).
    • Apple: iPod nano of the 1st und 2nd generation.
    • Apple: iPod mini of the 1st und 2nd generation
    • Creative: Nomad MuVo TX SE.
    • Maxfield: G-Flash.
    • Philips: SA177.
    • Teac: MP-500-1G-BT.
    • TrekStor: i.Beat organix and i.Beat vision.
    For further information please refer to the upcoming release of the Product
    Information USB that is expected to be provided in the Marketing Portal in
    January 2007.

Relevant Documents:
    ProductInformationUSB_News

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    Is this option for cars that will arrive in March, or for those that will go into production for March? Also, is it an option, or will it be the new standard?

My Cars
    '10 Mazda6
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesBMW View Post
    Is this option for cars that will arrive in March, or for those that will go into production for March? Also, is it an option, or will it be the new standard?
    Still an option, but now a Factory option instead of a dealer installed Accessory. And it's only for cars built starting March '07 and beyond.
    Current:
    2010 Mazda6iT
    2007 Honda CR-V EX-L
    2009 Kawasaki Concours14 Black (my true summer ride)
    1996 Honda Nighthawk 750

Past:
    2007 E90 335i-6MT-SG/Black/Al-ZPP-ZSP-Navi-Heated-CA-iPod-Blacklines
    2002 MB C230K Coupe
    2000 Altima SE (Ugh...)
    1990 CRX Si (the one that got away)

My Cars
    2008 335i Convertible
    More pictures What else is selectable except Playlists?
    Pending decision - Sapphire Black 335is Convertible (US spec)
    Ordered 3 april 2008 - Delivered 9 april 2008 - Monaco Blue 335i Convertible (US spec)
    Ordered 21 nov 2006 - Delivered 22 may 2007 - Sold december 2009 - Monaco Blue 335i Coupe (EU spec)

My Cars
    BMW
    Very interesting - seems BMW is doing the same as Mercedes has done in the past (spoofing) and using AUX for audio. If so, this means the radio controls will not operate the iPod, only the steering wheel controls.
    Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
    email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com
    tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 x22 | fax: 714.908.1796

Twitter | Flikr | Facebook | YouTube

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    I was told today by my dealer that they think they will be able to retrofit the existing aux jack with the new one and it will work with the regular controls. Not positive on this, jjst what I was told.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
    Very interesting - seems BMW is doing the same as Mercedes has done in the past (spoofing) and using AUX for audio. If so, this means the radio controls will not operate the iPod, only the steering wheel controls.
    How are the radio controls different from the steering wheel controls? They both connect to the same computer.

And what are they spoofing?
    Last edited by jmonier; 02-16-2007 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    07 335i Sedan
    I was told today by my dealer that they think they will be able to retrofit the existing aux jack with the new one and it will work with the regular controls. Not positive on this, jjst what I was told.
    That would be outstanding.
    2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue | Lemon/Black/Burl | 6 speed | Sport Package | Premium Package | Heated Seats | Folding Rear Seats | Comfort Access | Satalite Radio
    Mods: BMW Leather Short Shift Knob, Painted Replica Front Splitters(Coming Soon)

My Cars
    They also need USB port electronics which are not part of the new jack and which will only be in the "head unit" with the option. So, it definitely cannot be retrofitted.

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    Why can't head unit be replaced at that time as well?

My Cars
    Why can't head unit be replaced at that time as well?
    I suppose that's a possibility but it would be VERY expensive.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
    How are the radio controls different from the steering wheel controls? They both connect to the same computer.

And what are they spoofing?
    Mercedes does a trick on their iPod kits where they only get the direct commands from the steering wheel and use AUX for audio, hence "spoofing". Even though the radio and steering wheel buttons are performing the same functions - they are different signatures to the vehicle. On the Mercedes, the radio never sees the commands.

All audio is coming through the AUX.

My Cars
    BMW
    I suppose that's a possibility but it would be VERY expensive.
    And require coding.

My Cars
    MINI Cooper S, BMWs
    I think at this point we'll have to wait and see how it works. I'll check tomorrow to see if any of the early march builds coming into my dealership have this option. if they do I'll monitor their arrival very closely and find out once it arrives!

My Cars
    Mercedes does a trick on their iPod kits where they only get the direct commands from the steering wheel and use AUX for audio, hence "spoofing". Even though the radio and steering wheel buttons are performing the same functions - they are different signatures to the vehicle. On the Mercedes, the radio never sees the commands.

All audio is coming through the AUX.
    I doubt that would be the case here since the degree of control implied by the screenshot would need more than what could be provided by the steering buttons alone. And remember that everything travels through a USB connection. Also they apparently have the capability of using USB hard drives.

My Cars
    BMW
    I doubt that would be the case here since the degree of control implied by the screenshot would need more than what could be provided by the steering buttons alone. And remember that everything travels through a USB connection. Also they apparently have the capability of using USB hard drives.
    Great discussion here.

Everything is not traveling through the USB connection, there is AUX carrying the audio signal in the 2nd picture. The Mercedes-Benz kit is engineered the exact way.

If your theory were true, this would negate use of the AUX line. BMW already has a joint-deal with Apple and offers a MOST-integrated kit for the e90/92 - why change it when they only need 2 different part numbers to cover the entire BMW lineup? It makes no sense to use AUX and USB at the same time unless this is the direction they are going for is a less-expensive kit/adapter.

BMW's primary goal is selling vehicles, not iPod devices. It's still much too early to tell what direction they went, we'll just have to wait and see.

My Cars
    Great discussion here.

Everything is not traveling through the USB connection, there is AUX carrying the audio signal in the 2nd picture. The Mercedes-Benz kit is engineered the exact way.

If your theory were true, this would negate use of the AUX line. BMW already has a joint-deal with Apple and offers a MOST-integrated kit for the e90/92 - why change it when they only need 2 different part numbers to cover the entire BMW lineup? It makes no sense to use AUX and USB at the same time unless this is the direction they are going for is a less-expensive kit/adapter.

BMW's primary goal is selling vehicles, not iPod devices. It's still much too early to tell what direction they went, we'll just have to wait and see.
    I didn't mean to imply that audio was carried via USB, just that control and data goes that way and that it's a lot more than just the signals from the steering wheel.

It's clear from the screenshot that control is available via the iDrive system and not just from the steering buttons.

There are several reasons why BMW would come up with this new different adapter. One is so that you can use a CD changer along with it (you can't do that with the dealer installed one). Another is so that other MP3 players (besides iPod) can be used as well via the USB.

Maybe I don't understand but it seems like Mercedes came up with a Mickey Mouse solution whereas BMW is trying to do it right.

See post #55 in the following thread for the complete product bulletin:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=45991&page=3

My Cars
    135i, E430
    I do not believe that BMW develop the adapters themself, so no reason to compare it to MB.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by KPACOTKA View Post
    I do not believe that BMW develop the adapters themself, so no reason to compare it to MB.
    Neither does MBZ. Let's wait to see what happens.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    I have the OEM retrofit MOST ipod adapter and am happy with it -- although I have a big ipod with a lot of files and it takes awhile to load the catalog into memory. Also, it doesn't let you drill down from genre to artist to album etc only one category then you're thumbing through 200 tracks...

The sound quality is excellent
    2006 330i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast