Thread: another brake switch DIY - the not so usual method

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe

another brake switch DIY - the not so usual method

Yup, the common "Brake Light Circuit" failure, I replaced my brake switch 3 weeks ago and took some pictures while I was doing so. I finally decided to do a write up since my procedure was probably not what most of the guys here have done/would do ~ unbolting the bracket to spend less time upside down. I'm sure this has been done before but haven't seen an official written DIY by someone so here you guys go...

The point is to avoid spending most of the labor time in an uncomfortable position.

With the bracket unbolted, you can now work in a normal position, no more headache! woohoow!

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    Thanks for the nice write up and pics.

My Cars
    LX470, 4Runner, F-Type
    Great technical article Joven. I've added this to our database of articles...this specific one can be found here: Link to article

If anyone else has any more articles they would like to contribute, please feel free to submit it (we'll review it prior to posting for language content). New submissions can be done here: Submitting an article

Hopefully everyone finds value in this.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    It's very easy to take the brake light switch off when you know what you're doing IMO, not need to unbolt anything, that just adds more work

You just have to memorize how to take the swtich off and do it with your hands without looking.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    96 cosmos m3
    nice job , great write up

No more M3, driving a Camry TuRD

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    It's very easy to take the brake light switch off when you know what you're doing IMO, not need to unbolt anything, that just adds more work

You just have to memorize how to take the swtich off and do it with your hands without looking.
    X's 2... I saw all of that extra work and was like damn, making it look complicated. It is not bad to do once you know what you are doing. Those are some good pics though to see what you need to do.

I took care of it in under 20 minutes the first time I did it without taking anything apart except for the covers. I just broke the old BL circuit as people suggested doing.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    Yup, it's easy to do and really easy to remember what to do "for those who have done it before"... But, it may be hard for others who had not done it before like myself... I posted it so those who might struggle before attempting the job would know what to look for and what to do... Also, because when I was searching for it I saw tons of threads about people having trouble accessing underneath...

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    Is this typically the cause of the brake light circuit failure? Would it also keep my cruise control from working (because it thinks I'm on the brake)?

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by celtsnsox View Post
    Is this typically the cause of the brake light circuit failure?
    It's the only cause of the brake light circuit failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    '95 325is, '97 M3
    Just wanted to say thanks to this thread. Digging up a five year old thread on exactly what I needed makes my love this site.

My Cars
    '95 325is, '97 M3
    Just wanted to say thanks to this thread. Digging up a five year old thread on exactly what I needed makes my love this site.

My Cars
    97 Prelude
    thanks for the write up!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 TechnoViolet
    Just bumping this thread, pics above a great help. But I found this youtube video most useful & simple. Hopefully can help others
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJEPZstspE
    Cheers,