Thread: dealing with e30 semi-trailing arm oversteer

dealing with e30 semi-trailing arm oversteer

I want to fix up an e30 325 a bit for road course tracking. Is there a universal method of taking care of the infamous semi-trailing arm rear suspension to get rid of the snap oversteer?

My Cars
    Pieces of 128
    I'm sure there are about as many specific solutions as there are race cars out there. I don't think it's any more difficult than adjusting anti-sway bars and springs to suit.

Interestingly, I had a '91 318is and a '95 318ti -- both with the semi-trailing arm rear, same power, but the e36 was much more neutral, particularly under power. Point being, it doesn't take much to change this behavior.
    Last edited by Kos-motate139; 01-11-2003 at 11:21 AM.

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    I think you'd want to talk with James at bimmerworld. He's experienced in setting up the semi-trailing arm setup found on the E30 cars. He should be able to get you pointed in the right direction and some of bits and pieces you'll need for track duty as well.

From what little I know, the E30 setup is 'trickier' to get dialed in than the E36 setup.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Also bring the right mental approach.

My Coupe has this type of suspension. It's been a lot of fun so far.

Mistakes will be punished.

The car needs to be set-up in corners. Turn-in and adjust the turn progression. Letting off the gas or hitting the brakes unloads the rear and brings it around.

The car gets traction from acceleration.

From what I've heard, the main problem in my particular set-up is that my rear camber is not adjustable, so in cases of loading and unloading the rear wheels, you can create a bad camber situation where you just don't have as much tire on the ground as you just did a second ago. Bam! Tail comes around.

It makes my car hard to drive fast on roads I'm not familiar with.

I get my tail out a fair bit. You just gotta say smooth and on the gas. Maybe a mild let-up adjustment but do not drop off the gas or brake! Staying on the gas and countersteering works and is a lot of fun.

Going into a corner WAY too hot is just gonna be a problem in this set-up.

It's basically a slow-in fast-out set up.

-- EDIT:

I know Dinan makes an adjustable rear subframe for my car. Not sure if it's a holy grail, or made by anyone else, or available seperately. It's part of their Stage IV set-up.
    Last edited by count_schemula; 01-12-2003 at 06:09 PM.

My Cars
    87 325is, 85 745i, 83 528e
    I have an 87 325is, and I haven't had any troubles with the car. Actually, I wasn't even aware that it is "infamous" for oversteer. Alot of the reviews of E36's. E46's, and the new Z4 say "thank god for the new suspension", but they overstate the matter. WHile the new suspension is easier to work with, the rear of an E30 is fairly stable if driven with a little smoothness. What the new suspension does do is allow the driver to do more bone head manuevers (like lift more in the middle of a turn) with fewer consequences.
    But if you keep the power on, and drive like they teach you to at driving events, you should have ittle problem.
    If you don't have a limited slip differential, get one. A 3.73 or a 3.45 makes a nice rear for the Eta motor.