Thread: *HELP ME* intake problem

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE

*HELP ME* intake problem

ok. i install my cosmos racing intake during my lunch break. i followed the directions to the best of my ability. when i took out the factory airbox, some coolent came out of the hoses that are connected to the factory airbox. i didnt rehook the hoses that the coolent was coming out of because it didnt hook anywhere and i read on the instructions that most people tie these 2 hoses onto something in the engine bay. i put the rest of the intake on and start her up. everything is good until the drive home.

on my drive home, i notice that the temp gauge is slowly rising and then it the red light comes on. the check engine light came on as well as the check coolent level message. i immediately pull over and pop the hood. smoke pours out of the engine bay and coolent is everywhere. i call dave cardenas and we refill the coolent and decieded that we should relocated to a park and ride (i was on the shoulder of 95). i drove to the park and ride and my car was smoking. we hooked up the factory airbox and reconnect the 2 hoses onto the factory airbox. i drove around and there was no smoke and the coolent was not leaking. i was about two minutes from my house so i drove the rest of the way home.

during the drive home, the temp gauge needle was still was on the red. i got a check engine light, but no check coolent. when i parked the car, it didnt look like there wasnt any coolent leaks.

well. i dont know what i did. help me.
    Last edited by Lactomaniac; 07-22-2004 at 01:36 AM.

OBD1M52:S52cams:M50intakemanifold:3.38LSD:AAtuning :Eisenmannexhaust:Cosmosintake:Z3steeringrack:Mroa dsterSSK:KoniSA:
    EibachPro::ReRSM:Xbrace:MillimigliaMM2:Vaders:Alpi ne:Original MARB parts

Porsche 1997 993 911: Stock
    2003 Mini Cooper S: Supercharger Pulley: Borla exhaust
    1998 318ti: Stock

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    Do you have a '95? Sounds like the water pump finally decided to go.
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    But I may be wrong...same thing happened to me with the temp gauge flaring up and coolant leaking. however, there may be something in conjunction with your new intake that I'm missing. On the other hand, nothing tells me that an intake could cause that problem.
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    true. the 2 hoses that the coolent was coming out of fit into the factory airbox, i took it off so i could remove the airbox, but later i got the check coolent light and all the smoke.

by the way, the intake sounded really good for the little time i had it on .

OBD1M52:S52cams:M50intakemanifold:3.38LSD:AAtuning :Eisenmannexhaust:Cosmosintake:Z3steeringrack:Mroa dsterSSK:KoniSA:

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    you mean the little coolant injector thingy? That's worthless unless you live somewhere really cold.

I really think it's your water pump. When mine went, she turned red, smoked, and pissed herself. stupid nasty bitch...
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    Good luck, Chris. Let me know cuz I'm about to install this Cosmos in a few days.
    -Dave

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    is the coolent injectory thingy 2 hoses that connect to the airbox? the instructions said that these hoses are really only good if you live in a cold climate, and to just tie them to something so they dont dangle. but coolent poured out of these hoses when i disconnected them.

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    Only thing I can see that it mentions in the directions are the two wires for the air intake temp sensor. I haven't ever taken out a stock airbox, so I don't know what other hoses connect.
    -Dave

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    that thing senses when it's cold and squirts coolant to get keep things from freezing shut. Your water pump broke. pure and simple.
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    Quote Originally Posted by Bav///Man
    Only thing I can see that it mentions in the directions are the two wires for the air intake temp sensor. I haven't ever taken out a stock airbox, so I don't know what other hoses connect.
    yeah thats them. i thought disconnecting them wouldnt matter too much. coolent poured out of it when i did.

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    Quote Originally Posted by potomac
    that thing senses when it's cold and squirts coolant to get keep things from freezing shut. Your water pump broke. pure and simple.
    ok then, should i rehook my intake and get the water pump replaced? i'll probably take it to Russel BMW since the guy that i bought the car from is a mechanic there. how much does a water pump cost?

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    do you think it would be safe to drive it 15 minutes to the dealership?

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    If the temp gauge is still in the red and the water pump is out, then I would say it is definitely not safe.

I was lucky because my pump blew when Pat from Pro-Imports was driving my car with me, trying to source out a sound. Suddenly, the gauge went to red and we pulled the car into the garage to switch out the pump.

I would suggest just buying one from the $tealer and doing it at home, if you are reasonably mechanically handy. If not, then tow it to the dealer because it is extremely damaging to drive with a busted water pump and the temp gauge in red.

The part is ~$70.00 if memory serves me right and it should take 'em about 40 minutes to replace it.

Good luck!
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    '92 535i/5
    ...if you are reasonably mechanically handy...
    :

Mr. Chris "What-does-engine-coolant-do" K.

'97 318i (Sold) - '96 M3/5 Lux (Sold) - '03 X5 3.0i Sport (Sold) - '03 SV650 (Sold) - '92 535i/5

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    If the temp gauge is still in the red and the water pump is out, then I would say it is definitely not safe.
    Why the hell did we get the damn MPG gauge instead of the oil temp there? My damn E30 had the oil temp gauge.
    -Dave

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    Quote Originally Posted by dcardenas
    :

Mr. Chris "What-does-engine-coolant-do" K.
    ok, mr. dave "spray steaming coolent all over my face" cardenas

My Cars
    '92 535i/5
    it could happen, man. I'm too beautiful to have that shit happen to me.

'97 318i (Sold) - '96 M3/5 Lux (Sold) - '03 X5 3.0i Sport (Sold) - '03 SV650 (Sold) - '92 535i/5

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    Quote Originally Posted by dcardenas
    it could happen, man. I'm too beautiful to have that shit happen to me.
    you do have really nice, soft hands. i guess you'd have to though, being a jewler. do you manicure?

My Cars
    '92 535i/5
    Maybe.

My Cars
    '95 325ti Clubsport
    Wait..I may be wrong here, but it sounds like you disconnected the 2 COOLANT hoses connected to the air temp sensor in the stock airbox. coolant WILL pour out of them if you leave them uncapped. The best thing to do is just unscrew the sensor (or coolant injector or whatever) from the airbox, keeping it connected to the hoses. It's possible that there is just a ton of air in the system because of the leak, causing it to overheat.

This doesn't sound like the water pump to me, and its very coincidental that it would fail while the engine was simultaneously spewing coolant form unconnected lines. Perhaps the lack of coolant caused to teh pump to seize or something thuogh.

-Robb
    1995 325ti Clubsport
    1999 540i Touring, 6 speed
    2002 Z3 2.5i

Been away for a while, but bought it back

My Cars
    E28, E30, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Clbsprt ti
    Wait..I may be wrong here, but it sounds like you disconnected the 2 COOLANT hoses connected to the air temp sensor in the stock airbox. coolant WILL pour out of them if you leave them uncapped. The best thing to do is just unscrew the sensor (or coolant injector or whatever) from the airbox, keeping it connected to the hoses. It's possible that there is just a ton of air in the system because of the leak, causing it to overheat.

This doesn't sound like the water pump to me, and its very coincidental that it would fail while the engine was simultaneously spewing coolant form unconnected lines. Perhaps the lack of coolant caused to the pump to seize or something thuogh.

-Robb
    Im 99% sure that this is what happened to his car. He disconnected to two hoses from the sensor instead of disconnecting to whole sensor from the intake pipe.
    BMW E28, E30, E39 M5
    Ferrari F355 GTB

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2006 350Z
    If a hose or hoses that carry coolant are left open and then you drive your car (even turn it on) it will overheat. You basically just opened the hoses and started pumping coolant out of your engine.

Many people have used the cosmos intake. Something in the directions may have been misunderstood because you can't just leave coolant lines open. Thats like disconnecting your radiator hose and driving around.

I doubt its your water pump.

But then again Im not a mechanic. I'm in your area so if you need any help let me know.

Good luck.

-Hossein

My Cars
    have 4 wheels?
    I know this is a relatively old thread but I found this while searching when my own problems arose.

For anyone searching to debaffle your airbox this is very good to know, when removing the airbox on an OBD1 car these 2 coolant lines come into play. At first i just pulled them off to discover coolant spraying every where and a nice puddle on my garage floor. When removing the airbox, one must also remove the air temp sensor on the airbox and keep the coolant lines plugged.

While in the process of trying to debaffle my airbox I searched for the solution to the leaking coolant likes and this is the only thread I found with knowleable info as to their purpose.

I assume when installing an intake, that the intake air sensor including the coolant lines must be installed in the head sheild. If theres no heatsheild just let them dangle. I hope this will help anyone with an OBD1 car in the future with the same problem.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    thats correct. If the intake has a heat shield, with a hole specifically for the sensor, then put it in there. If there is no hole, a good way is to pin the sensor up against the alternator with the outer wall of the heat shield. That way it wont dangle around. Or tie it down to something but i never did find any good place to tie it to.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bav///Man
    Good luck, Chris. Let me know cuz I'm about to install this Cosmos in a few days.
    I doubt it's related to the fact that it's a Cosmos intake... I just had mine installed and it works like a charm
    <table border=0><tr><td></td><td>Nick

'01 M5 Carbon Black/Black Heritage - Sold 7/04

'98 M3 Techno Violet/Dove Grey - Sold 1/06

'01 M5 Royal Red/Caramel Heritage - The Beast is back
    On the way:
    DVD MK4 Nav
    Bluetooth Phone Kit
    Dension iceLink
    UUC Evo3 SSK
    Britalman Exhaust
    </td></tr></table>