Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parrot - Shallow Depth Double DIN Android head unit

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car

Parrot - Shallow Depth Double DIN Android head unit

Hi,

This is the new Parrot double DIN shallow depth head unit which expands on their Asteroid family of products which are all based around running Android. I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this unit after speaking with Parrot UK about it recently.

The unit has no disk mechanism which is what allows the small dimensions of the unit and gives greater scope for easier mounting/fitting into cars, especially the E39. I'm not sure of the USA retail pricing level, but no doubt will be known at authorised Parrot dealers.

Pictures;

The head unit feels very sturdy and is quiet weighty for it's small sizing! The finishing trim ring is a gloss black and the front face of the unit is a little 'less' glossy but with the same quality 'smoothness' feel. The small, thin removable panel on the left front face acts as an anti theft measure - without it, the unit will not work and hides the SD card slot just behind it which gives easy access to swap cards if needs be. As per the pictures, the rear of the unit has plenty of connections! The included GPS receiver is a wired version and simply plugs into one of the 3 USB ports. Direct iPad/iPod connectivity and the lead is included. The unit has built in Wi-Fi so can connect to your home wireless router, or when on the move a portable Wi-Fi internet connection sharing device so that those Apps within the Parrot Marketplace can function (where internet access is required) I'd expect more and more applications to be released over time to further increase the functionality of the head unit. The good thing here is any Apps available from the Parrot marketplace will be certified and tested prior to release to ensure full compatibility.

I will soon get some time to fit it up to my car and do some listening and usage tests and early indications from within the Trade so far are good with some already fitted and in use!

Over the next few years as technology for the car changes and car owners turn further to digitally delivered media methods and the Parrot is the first head unit which also shrinks the physical sizing as well. This is especially useful for the E39 5 series and also will really suit the E38 7 series and E53 X5 as well given the hassles of having to modify the cabin airbox in order to fit traditional double DIN head units!

More details from the official Parrot Smart website
    http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/as...asteroid-smart

Parrot USA website - http://www.parrot.com/usa/

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring
    I'm working with Parrots PR firm in the US to get one in for review. It should be arriving soon. Let me know if there's anything you want covered.

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    Looks very interesting
    Mutual Admiration Society
    Founding member

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon
    WE HAVE A WINNER. If this works as advertised I'm in. I've been waiting for someone to come out with a shallow double DIN to fit the e36's. Saves me from doing a full carpc right now. Thanks Dennis

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Just fitted the Smart up into my car and spent a couple hours with it for initial use and to get to learn the unit. Very impressed so far, sound quality is very good as well !

Fitting up wiring into the dash area, routed the microphone wire and put the GPS antenna in a little recess up just by the Airbag area and it fits snugly against some soft padding there and is held very nicely.

Quick 3 minutes drive around to ensure satellite/GPS reception was ok

Fitting up neatly

A bit more detail;

As I'd previously had my Alpine mechless i-XA 407BT head unit fitted by using the correct harness to plug into the oem loom directly and power it;

I simply had to unplug that and use the supplied harness adaptor that comes with the Smart. I took out the Alpine microphone and re-routed the one supplied with the Smart. With the GPS receiver I found a small recess just under the dash top near the airbag, by locating it there and giving it a slight push past the sponge lining, it physically holds it very well - very happy I didn't have to leave it on the dashboard top or anything. I have the LumiDock in my car and for that, it was a quick swap to the Smart iPod lead. Powered up the unit and went through the initial setup via the very responsive screen and installed the iGo GPS software which for this region includes the UK and Western Europe. Once setup, a quick test showed the Smart crucially was getting GPS signals come through from the receiver and I then went for a quick 3 minute drive to ensure all was working and responding ok. RCA phono leads connected as I only use external amplification and then finished physically installing the unit and fitted it back up to fit flush with the fascia panel.

In use the unit feels very smooth and slick with zero hesitation or pauses and very much feels like a quality 'tablet' computer in that respect. The high resolution display looks great and the overall aesthetics give a very classy and elegant looking unit, about the only thing I can pick up is the little power button lights up white and is a little 'bright'.

Once I'd played around with a few settings with the GPS options, preferences and options with the Smart and set off to see how the unit performs whilst driving. Pairing to my HTC Android phone was simple and quick and a few test calls were absolutely easy and straightforward as you'd expect from Parrot. Sound and call quality again was reported back to me as absolutely fine and perfect. I then selected the GPS software and found it displaying my current location. I decided to switch back to listening to music via the iPod and decided to stop a little later to plug in a destination once stopped as I'd never used the iGo software previously.

The Parrot Smart has excellent sound quality! Perhaps not 'quite' up at the levels as I have with the Alpine but close enough! As with all the premium brands head units, the internal electronics, DAC's etc are all of high quality items and Parrot have pitched this product in the same catagory as those. There's an EQ, Bass enhancer, sound Spatializer and variable low pass filter with level adjustment for the subwoofer. I only used the LPF for 60Hz and with minimal boost from the default - no EQ and no sound spatializer, and impressions for me with the sound, tonal quality, soundstage are very good indeed! I'm impressed with this aspect of the unit.

In a quick summary - the Smart is a great design, full of useful features and great connectivity features with great sound quality to match. Expanding from the original shallow depth concept Parrot had with their Asteroid single DIN, this double DIN unit builds on that concept and specifically, for the BMW community, allows much easier fitting in E39/5 series and I'm sure also in the E38/7 series and E53/X5's as well as other's with similar mounting depth issues. A big recommendation from me!

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 03-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Good quality looking unit. My only concern is the increased number of small panel gaps.

My Cars
    2009 bmw m3
    I'll update the thread with a mini initial review a bit later this evening.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

AusE39er - just wondering what you mean by increased number of panel gaps? If you mean the fascia fitting kit I've shown there, then yes, just around the edge of the head unit is a gap, but it doesn't bother me. The fitting kit shown is now not available anymore and other kits are out there. The Janus Design fascia for instance fits very nicely with no panel gaps as I have one and tried it. The reason I haven't used it here is because to 'just' use that means I need to make something up to 'support' the head unit for permanent fitting and I didn't have time for it yesterday - I simply swapped it out with my previous Alpine head unit.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Still looks very good mate. Just that I love the small gabs in my e39 cabin, tiny pang in my side seeing those there.

This is just me though, anal with the details.

My Cars
    bmw e38 1999
    any E38 guys have done this ?

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

I hope to soon have a little test in a good enthusiast I know E38 and will report back on the findings. I'm hoping the unit is shallow enough for the E38 so at least opens up this unit to that model of car as well

AusE39er - strewth maite, wotta yer on about?, u've been inda Pab too long !

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 03-06-2013 at 08:06 PM.

My Cars
    540i/6
    I must have missed the pricing. What did it run you?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci Conv
    saw it on amazon for USD$ 599.

My Cars
    Fiddellita

Fiddellita Carmelia

I am delighted to see this you tube video at this web site, thus right now I am also going to add all my video clips at YouTube site.

My Cars
    1999 328iS
    Would love to see one in an E36
    1999 328iS, M50 Manifold, 3.15LSD, Style 68s w/ Pilot Sport 2s, Bilstein HD, SS Brake lines, E46 ZHP Steering rack, E46 M3 Seats, Ground Control Street adjustable camber plates.

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    I've been thinking about doing this on my E46 M3. We also suffer from the ability to run a traditional double din because of the ac box.
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold
    2004 Imola Red/Black M3-Sold
    2005 Alpine White/Gray M3-Sold
    1999 Alpine White/Mulberry M3-Sold

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjon BMW View Post
    saw it on amazon for USD$ 599.
    Released in New Zealand for the equivalent of US$1100. Way to go Parrot NZ thanks for trying to rip us off
    Founding member

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Is this PNP with DSP/Nav?
    ['07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
    Toys
    '93 BMW 850i J Spec- (DiamondSchwartz)-CSI Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    '81 MB 500 SEC Koenig (pearl white)
    00 BMW 750iL J Spec- Alpina Mods
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    11 BMW M3 DCT Competition
    12 BMW 328i M Sport Convertible
    +++

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Rogan - that's just nuts, I'll ship one out to you if you like ! maybe it'll be substantially cheaper?

BMWM5Lover - In some of the posts on M5board other's have asked that, when it's back up and available again (it's still down for me) you'll see my response. In short, it's likely nothing will ever be developed to be directly plug n play for the DSP amplifier in E39's. The DSP was designed and created in 1994/5 when the E39 was in development and having 'chruch' and 'stadium' effects was 'in fashion'. Within a few years, it quickly went out of fashion for most consumer audio electronics. When the E39 came out, there was very little demand for after market audio, so no companies spent the big amounts needed to develop something. The E39 went out of production in 2003, and still there was no demand for 'much' after market electronics to work with the oem setups. We're now a decade since the E39 ceased production, and no one wants church and stadium effects anymore. If you are wishing for something to be developed, you are going to be disappointed!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2005 BMW X5
    Thanks for the good review. I had the single din version a while back and was amazed by the sound quality. Frustrated more over the glitches though. So back it went. Have you noticed much of this? Random reboots etc?
    Also, above you mention the LP filter. Does it have a HP filter as well?
    What about using google maps? Can you use apps that are android based, but not listed in their *market?

Thanks for any info..

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Rogan - that's just nuts, I'll ship one out to you if you like ! maybe it'll be substantially cheaper?
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not in the market for one. At least not yet. I've got a friend in Denver who happily ships me stuff so well sorted.
    Founding member

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbhess View Post
    Thanks for the good review. I had the single din version a while back and was amazed by the sound quality. Frustrated more over the glitches though. So back it went. Have you noticed much of this? Random reboots etc?
    Also, above you mention the LP filter. Does it have a HP filter as well?
    What about using google maps? Can you use apps that are android based, but not listed in their *market?

Thanks for any info..
    People have reported apps can be side loaded via SD and GoogleMaps / Navigation works

My Cars
    2005 BMW X5
    Anyone try the torque app with one of these? Curious if it will connect to a Bluetooth device that is not a phone? Like the OBD2 reader?

My Cars
    E70d
    I'm looking to replace my stock navigation and I looked at the Dynavin android system, but frankly it's already dated and it's pretty slow. How nice will this unit play with my '02? I don't know the first thing about car audio but I know that I want navigation from Android (Google Navigation, Waze, etc), A2DP bluetooth to pair with my android phone, and it would certainly be nice if I didn't lose the car system functions provided by my current navigation. How would this system handle that? If not, is there a way at all?

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

ctbhess - I've not tried one of those OBD connected App's which show all the parameters etc - mostly becuase I'm not really interested in knowing all that information as I drive ! I may do so in the future sometime though!

Gen3ric - This Asteroid Smart as per my pictures comes with iGo GPS software embedded/built in, so it's up to you if you want to install another GPS app as well. There's no aftermarket head unit which fully supports the BMW's OBC functions out of the box. However, if an 'app' could be written, tested and certified, I'm sure the Smart and any subsequent similar devices from Parrot and other brands could run it and we'd all have full OBC support! - I do know for a fact that just the certification process to ensure everything works safely with the car's systems, costs a LOT of money - perhaps $30-50,000? getting a reputable automotive knowledgeable software house to write the application would I suspect be up in a similar level of costs. There'd also be a significant cost for the hardware required to have the iBus input to USB output as that would also need to be developed, tested and certified and then manufactured.

Cheers, Dennis!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast