Thread: in need of experts

My Cars
    bmw E36 320

in need of experts

guys i have some more questions. I've got a garrett T3, a turbonetics many, and a intercooler. And i'm gonna mount it on my euro M52B20 engine.

Now I have these questions:

1 Where can i get a motormount, that clears my hot pipes.
    2 Where can i get the vacuum for my bov and wastgate?
    3 Whats the max psi i can run with stock internals
    4 What afm should i go for
    5 What trottlebody should i mount?

Thanks in advance guys. In europe everyone says i cant turbo my engine
    Current:biiiiiiiig pyle of boxes
    Soon to come: Turbocharging, complete M package, new paint, refinished interior, cleaned enginebay, and maybe widebody

My Cars
    BMWs
    1. TRM makes a nice mount
    2. vacuum from the brake booster line, TRM makes a fitting for that I think
    3. forget psi, make you want to run is prob 350 rwhp or so
    4. loaded question
    5. stock

My Cars
    bmw E36 320
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    4. loaded question
    5. stock
    I've seen the engine mount, and have send them a e-mail about shipping. About hp... I'd like to end up between 300 and 400rwhp in the end. But i dont know how far i can go with stock internals. I know i need another head gasket. But I'm not shure how far i can safely go with stock pistons, rods and all others.

I'm already looking for a M50 intake manifold, and thought i'd need the throttlebody out off a 2.5 as well.

In the end, the car will still be my daily driver.However, over here in holland everyone is screaming it cant be done to this engine. And that i should just buy a honda or something to turbo.
    Soon to come: Turbocharging, complete M package, new paint, refinished interior, cleaned enginebay, and maybe widebody

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    4. loaded question
    5. stock
    it is aliminum 2 liter 150 hp car. not 2.5 150 hp - probably 130whp.

350whp is a little high for stock compression and headstuds.

Quote Originally Posted by the devil View Post
    guys i have some more questions. I've got a garrett T3, a turbonetics many, and a intercooler. And i'm gonna mount it on my euro M52B20 engine.

Now I have these questions:

1 Where can i get a motormount, that clears my hot pipes.
    3 Whats the max psi i can run with stock internals
    4 What afm should i go for
    5 What trottlebody should i mount?

Thanks in advance guys. In europe everyone says i cant turbo my engine

1. no need for motor mount if you use godspeed cast manifold.
    2. from intake manifold with T
    3.generally 7-8 psi
    4.stock
    5.stock

most important is which ecu you will use and who will tune it. rest is easy.
    Last edited by bmmrr; 10-13-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    bmw E36 320
    In the beginning i'll be running a stock ecu with chip, iff possible ofcourse. I've seen some things on the web, that 250 whp is about the max, with stock internals. However i've also seen story's about 300whp beeing done.

Soo what is real and what not?

[quote:bmmrr]
    1. no need for motor mount if you use godspeed cast manifold.
    2. from intake manifold with T
    [/quote]

1: I've seen it on google, looks to me the turbo is just hanging lower. Could i then make a spacer, that fits my own many?

2: you mean the vac line underneath the manifold?

And 1 other question: I see different oilfeeds. Some use the vanos, I'm thinking of finding a oilfilter housing from a M51 and fitting that. It seems to me, the vanos unit cant deliver enough oil to the turbo. Or am i guessing all wrong?

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    you can get two different kinds of motor mounts from RALLYROAD with engine mount .
    depending on turbo sizes
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    bmw E36 320
    well, for mockup. I'm gonna use a turbo from a Skyline R33 GTS-T. My buddy recently replaced his. So i can mock everything up on that one. Its a replica of the Garrett t3. sizes flanges and everything is the same. However the exhaust wheel is damaged on 4 blades

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    BOV gets vacuum (and boost) signal from the intake manifold. I like to use the brake booster line (before the check valve), or a line going to a charcoal canister that I've deleted.

Wastegate DOES NOT GET VACUUM. Wastegate gets boost only. I like to source this from right before the throttle body (usually there is a provision to tap into) but you can get in anywhere upstream of the throttle body and after the intercooler. I highly suggest you avoid getting the boost signal from before the intercooler, but that can work as well.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 10-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.

My Cars
    bmw E36 320
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner
    BOV gets vacuum (and boost) signal from the intake manifold. I like to use the brake booster line, or a line going to a charcoal canister that I've deleted.

Wastegate DOES NOT GET VACUUM. Wastegate gets boost only. I like to source this from right before the throttle body (usually there is a provision to tap into) but you can get int anywhere upstream of the throttle body and after the intercooler. I highly suggest you avoid getting the boost signal from before the intercooler, but that can work as well.
    So i can make a line from the cold pipe to the wg. Then what would be bether, before or after the afm?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Just wanting to do it wright. The car has been taken off the road for the next 3 years. To be rebuild. So i want to take my time with this and do it wright the first time

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by the devil
    ....... do it wright the first time

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    So i can make a line from the cold pipe to the wg. Then what would be bether, before or after the afm?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Just wanting to do it wright. The car has been taken off the road for the next 3 years. To be rebuild. So i want to take my time with this and do it wright the first time
    We make two different motor mounts arms that will work with your Turbonetics cast manifold. The TRM and Technica motor mount arms will interfere with your manifold. They rise just a bit too high for the lower hanging Turbonetics/Godspeed/Technique Tuning turbo manifold.

http://www.rallyroad.net/content/e36...bo-motor-mount

We have one of the "higher" motor mounts left in stock. I have another batch of that style that will be in process this week.

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    We make two different motor mounts arms that will work with your Turbonetics cast manifold. The TRM and Technica motor mount arms will interfere with your manifold. They rise just a bit too high for the lower hanging Turbonetics/Godspeed/Technique Tuning turbo manifold.

We have one of the "higher" motor mounts left in stock. I have another batch of that style that will be in process this week.
    Here you go !
    With these mounts you won't have to worry about clearance . You can just go bigger and bigger turbo later on and not worry about anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    2009 bmw x5
    However the exhaust wheel is damaged on 4 blades

My Cars
    bmw E36 320
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the devil
    ....... do it wright the first time

Sent from my GTX3582R

Surely gonna look into that. I really like the more oem style of them.

Quote Originally Posted by biglou911 View Post
    Here you go !
    With these mounts you won't have to worry about clearance . You can just go bigger and bigger turbo later on and not worry about anything
    Thats surely gonna happen But lets first see what the T3 will do

Quote Originally Posted by shanfarrar View Post
    However the exhaust wheel is damaged on 4 blades
    Its just for mockup. I'm buying a rebuild Garrett T3 before driving it. However, with this broken one I dont have to worry about damaging it

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    The only difference there will be is if the wastegate signal line fails, or the wastegate diaphragm fails, and you get the signal from after the AFM (don't e36s have a MAF?) then you'll have an unmetered air leak and fueling will go lean off boost and rich in boost.

If you source from before the AFM/MAF and the line or wastegate starts leaking then all of the air entering the engine will still be metered so you won't experience fueling changes.

Which one is a better failure mode is really up to your personal preferences.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 10-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    bmw E36 320
    Well then it will come before the MAF. It is MAF btw. My mistake.

Yet another question. About the feul rail. Will that needs modding. Or can i use oem bmw parts. I'm thinking of using 2,8l injectors. Would that be plug and play?

Posted using my samsung galaxy S

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    Yet another question. About the feul rail. Will that needs modding. Or can i use oem bmw parts. I'm thinking of using 2,8l injectors. Would that be plug and play?
    Your stock fuel rail will be fine. You won't get very far on the 2.8 liter injectors.

We like to help here, but you should probably do a bit more reading since the questions you are asking are very basic for anyone thinking about putting a turbo on their E36.

My Cars
    bmw E36 320
    Your stock fuel rail will be fine. You won't get very far on the 2.8 liter injectors.

We like to help here, but you should probably do a bit more reading since the questions you are asking are very basic for anyone thinking about putting a turbo on their E36.
    I do need more reading about bmw turboing. I have a mecanics degree. However, most information on the net is for M52B25 engine's. Not the B20 one like mine.

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    I do need more reading about bmw turboing. I have a mecanics degree. However, most information on the net is for M52B25 engine's. Not the B20 one like mine.
    I spoke with a customer in New Zealand last week that is racing his E36 with M52B20 in a 2.0 liter series. There's a lot of commonality with the larger engines. Once you get the tuning package sorted, the hardware side shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

There are some good threads to read at the top of this page. They will give you a good start.