Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is an E39 M5 considered fast today?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    Bummer

Life's what you make it

My Cars
    2002 ///M5 Carbon/Black
    OP go test drive one. Enough said.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    A proper running E39 M5 will make anyone say "God damn"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaskus325 View Post
    Thats the V10 E60 M5 your referring to here. I think an M5 is much more than speed. You can screw a bazillion hp out a Yugo if you got the time and money, but its fackin Yugo. Nothing against domestic muscle cars, the 638hp ZR1 will still kick most Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons, etc dead square in the ballsack straight away, but in many ways its not in the same league. The M5 is refined aggression. Just a bit of anger beneath one hell of a pretty, smiling face. Get on its bad side and it has enough bite to make even Michael Vick think twice. The pedigree and prowess of the M5 is unmatched in its class to me. The E39 has no flappy paddle gearbox. No heavy, drivetrain sapping AWD quattro crap. Its just you, 3 pedals and the ultimate driving machine. I do believe sir, it dont get no better than that.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    A stock e39 m5 is fast, but a chipped 335 is just as fast or faster.

For straight line speed, there are faster cars out there. For the whole package, it's hard to beat. I can't think of any other 400hp cars I can throw my kid in his carseat in the back seat of and drive daily.

I'd have a hard time buying a 335 out of warranty.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    2000 E39, 2000 E36/7
    M5 isn't fast, because the word fast isn't fast enough to describe an M5.

My Cars
    BMW
    Is the M5 fast for a street/road or track car?

Its faster than 99.998% of road cars....and faster than 99.9998% of road sedans (bowing down to only a few like its successors, the CTS-V and some others).

There are some faster cars out there (though not many), but very few of them will get the job done with such comfort and most importantly such a smile on your face as an M5.

Personally, I think that E39 is the best looking body style that BMW ever made also. (When the M-Tech front and rear bumpers, style 65 rims are used...I can't find a better looking sedan).

My Cars
    slow e39
    Let me put it this way: It has more power than most cars on the street today

My Cars
    03 ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandem

Personally, I think that E39 is the best looking body style that BMW ever made also
    Nah its Deff the E92 M3.
    2003 ///M5. ~ Jet Black/ Le Mans Blue

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower/ 419lbs torque
    Supersprint Headers
    CNS Lightweight dm flywheel/ Spec clutch
    ST coilovers
    Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets
    Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers
    Michelin Pilot supersports

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLaRay View Post
    Nah its Deff the E92 M3.
    The E92 M3 is a close 2nd. But it has no torque...

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Da Clean1 View Post
    The E92 M3 is a close 2nd. But it has no torque...
    No torque?

Really?

Have you ever driven one? Do you even know what you're talking about?

Or do you like to shoot from the lip and expect everyone to think you have the slightest clue what you're talking about?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    No torque?

Really?

Or do you like to shoot from the lip and expect everyone to think you have the slightest clue what you're talking about?
    haha Yes, I most certainly do know exactly what I'm talking about. Why do you doubt me & what's the point of arguing here??

I've driven one with a EES S/C kit on it. Just because I'm an M5 owner doesn't mean I have no clue / idea as to what what I'm talking about. The E92 chassis is a heavy one & that 4.0 Liter V-8 revs high. But it can't belch out the low end torque like we need it too. Sorry if I offended you by stating a fact that even E92 M3 owners will admit...

My Cars
    03 ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Da Clean1

haha Yes, I most certainly do know exactly what I'm talking about. Why do you doubt me & what's the point of arguing here??

I've driven one with a EES S/C kit on it. Just because I'm an M5 owner doesn't mean I have no clue / idea as to what what I'm talking about. The E92 chassis is a heavy one & that 4.0 Liter V-8 revs high. But it can't belch out the low end torque like we need it too. Sorry if I offended you by stating a fact that even E92 M3 owners will admit...
    Well now... i wouldnt go that far im more than sure a S/c e92 M3 would destroy a e39 M5...

Supersprint Headers
    ST coilovers
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Well now... i wouldnt go that far im more than sure a S/c e92 M3 would destroy a e39 M5...
    Ya, I agree. Especially with the DCT option...

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolBMW View Post
    Which is awesome because it can't do it for about 2 laps before the tires get greasy and the brakes fade. That's why it's called ///Marketing.

At our last track day, a 2010 M3 raced a chipped 135i. They both ran fast lap times comparable to each other. The 135i ran out of oil pressure after 10 minutes from the heat of the turbos. About the same time, the m3 ran out of brakes/tires due to it's elephant like heft.

See, A good portion of BMW owners are generally a HP phobic people. They're easy to spot because they talk endlessly about weight balance, proper wheel fitment, harmonics, chassis rigidity, big brakes, and then suggest things like "A 530i is a better balanced car than a 540i/M5 with a comporable amount of power to other sedans".

This should be translated as "My testosterone level is nothing, and this is a sporty alternative to the toyota cammry I used to drive".

They will quickly retort, "I'll loose you in the corners because this car isn't about straight line speed, it's also about handling."

This should be translated as "My car is feels fast at taking slow corners. While corners may make up maybe 5% of everyones morning commute and my car excels at that 5% and it makes me happy. I will justify my overpriced, underpowered sedan by *insert marketing buzzwords*."

The m5 is a great sedan when it runs fine. I wouldn't term them "robust".
    They are probably fast to the kid next to you in a jetta. They are not fast to anyone who's be around performance cars. Almost all ///M cars are laughably slow and unreliable when compared to a real performance car.
    So, exactly what is your definition of "a real performance car"? If you are referring to Ferarri, Lambo, McLaren, etc, then, no, an E39 M5 won't compare, nor will most other cars. If you are talking about like items, being a 4000 pound, 4 door family hauler, sorry to disappoint you. The E39 is still among the fastest ever made. Some of the newer cars are even faster, but not by much. I have driven an M5 to it's upper reaches, I built and extensively raced a 1160hp Chevelle drag car, along with Porsche's and Vettes. The M5 is fast. It is comfy to be in, it has beautiful lines that flow together.
    If the OP is just looking for fast, look elsewhere, if you want fast and luxury with subtle good looks, look no further!

My Cars
    07-M6 04-X5 01-740iL
    Compared to today's performance.. NO!... But for what it is, it is no slouch!! When I purchased mine, coming from an e39 540i to a M5 was a great upgrade in power. It was my favorite BMW to date. Leaving the M5 game to go into my W211 E55AMG was even more of an upgrade in power. 400hp these days is sadly a joke.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E36
    Haha the cars 12+ years old if there weren't faster cars out there something would be wrong. It probably has a better/more rewarding driver feel than newer/faster cars.

But hey there's always boost
    USMC...R
    Current: 1988 M3 Alpine
    1995 325i hellrot
    2013 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    Past:1993 325is 5MT Alpine
    1996 328is 5MT Swartz
    2007 350z Touring MT
    2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD 6MT
    2011 Honda Ruckus
    2007 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
    2005 Triumph Speed Triple
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R600
    2003 Honda CBR 600RR

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by TopEnd View Post
    400hp these days is sadly a joke.
    Right, 400hp is a joke. My grandma drives a Veyron d00d!

In reality it depends shockingly who you talk to. Most people felt a strong enough butt dyno in my car to call it fast, especially if I floored it up a big hill. If you ask an enthusiast who obsesses over numbers then the e39 m5 isn't really fast much less the lowly 540i!

My Cars
    07-M6 04-X5 01-740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
    Right, 400hp is a joke. My grandma drives a Veyron d00d!

In reality it depends shockingly who you talk to. Most people felt a strong enough butt dyno in my car to call it fast, especially if I floored it up a big hill. If you ask an enthusiast who obsesses over numbers then the e39 m5 isn't really fast much less the lowly 540i!

sucks to be you if i struck a nerve! Let me re-phrase for the emotional:

Compared to the standards of today's performance saloons the e39 M5's 394bhp M5 is not fast. If you're comparing it to 540s/ E430, Then Yes it is. My daily driver happens to be a 540i/6 the car is my toy to play with, not for speed. I understand people thinking your 540i is fast, compared to the cars they have driven, im sure it is. I'm not trying to have a penis match out here. To me, both the 540i and M5 bring good things to the table, but i have graduated from the speed of both.

My Cars
    03 ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by TopEnd
    To me, both the 540i and M5 bring good things to the table, but i have graduated from the speed of both.
    Thats how i feel about my 540.
    But you a funny guy man i like you.

Supersprint Headers
    ST coilovers
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

My Cars
    07-M6 04-X5 01-740iL
    Thats how i feel about my 540.
    But you a funny guy man i like you.
    Its the truth man, alot of dudes need to face reality... pm me the info on that drop in your avatar...just my taste..

My Cars
    '98 M3/5 Coupe
    I'd much rather be thrown back in my seat and do 0-60 in just under 5 seconds than a smaller, more present day car, that does 0-60 in like 3.5 but you don't feel it as much. just my opinion.

and to those of you saying the 540i isnt fast... yes it is. (have to stick up for my own 540i...)

No torque?

Really?

lol dude.... relax.

Quote Originally Posted by VLee View Post
    M5 isn't fast, because the word fast isn't fast enough to describe an M5.

you are wise grasshopper.
    Last edited by hankthetank94; 09-27-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by TopEnd View Post
    sucks to be you if i struck a nerve! Let me re-phrase for the emotional:

Compared to the standards of today's performance saloons the e39 M5's 394bhp M5 is not fast. If you're comparing it to 540s/ E430, Then Yes it is. My daily driver happens to be a 540i/6 the car is my toy to play with, not for speed. I understand people thinking your 540i is fast, compared to the cars they have driven, im sure it is. I'm not trying to have a penis match out here. To me, both the 540i and M5 bring good things to the table, but i have graduated from the speed of both.

Lol. I wasn't pissed at your post. Re-read what I said -- basically I'm just saying it depends on who you talk to. In reality a tiny percentage of people have a 400HP car. These days a lot of people have a 200-300hp car, but a real fraction of the population has a 400hp car.

People shouldn't buy an E39 anything if they want some "truly fast" car. I mean its a 3800 pound boat! But a boat you love with a nice sounding engine. Anyone thinking they are setting performance records in the E39 or something silly are bonkers of course.

Basically my point is that words have different meaning to different people. Since you own some really fast cars, from your perspective the E39 M5 is slow. But if the average population it is fast when you compare it to the engine in their car. My 540i seems a lot slower than it did 4 years ago considering my 62 yr old Mom even has a turbo VW getting 200+hp.

Again, this isn't a post about emotion/ego, I just think the above is a pretty good description of reality. If we're talking about performance stats in magazines, the 540I wasn't even that fast for the time. But the average person will think it is a fast car if they ride in it. That's all I'm saying!

Also, you might want to lay off the pretentious line that you have "graduated" from the speed of the E39 M5, like you took some type of driving class that proves you are a better driver. No, you just made more money. Sure I dream about having a 500hp car like you have but I wouldn't be a dick and say I "graduated" -- wow that's some elitism! C'mon have a beer with us nearly homeless people
    Last edited by aspensilver540; 09-27-2012 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthetank94 View Post
    I'd much rather be thrown back in my seat and do 0-60 in just under 5 seconds than a smaller, more present day car, that does 0-60 in like 3.5 but you don't feel it as much. just my opinion.
    I have a smaller car that does just this and trust me, I feel it much more than in my M5.
    2003 X5
    1998 318ti
    1995 Wrangler

My Cars
    02 525i (rip), 07 328i
    is this post a joke?

It's a 400hp beast. As others have said it's not a drag car, that's why it's called a BMW.

It's a combination of nice power and amazing handling. Not just how fast it goes in a straight line.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast