Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Android IBus interface

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    ^^pretty shocked this thread made it almost 3 months with no one bringing up the dynavin, or in this case, the shenzhen electronics dynavin ripoff. I'm pretty sure the dynavin and the szenco are the exact same unit and made in the same factory. I've seen this happen a lot where a chinese factory will sell unliscenced versions of something some other company paid them to build. But in this case, both dynavin and szenco are chinese companies so who knows whats going on. That said, I'll admit that the dynavin is a better solution for someone who wants an android head unit.

But I don't want an android head unit. I want to BUILD an android head unit.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Any updates on V2?

My Cars
    323 IC black and tan, 750IL full leather and sport
    Looks great, I am planning a Galaxy Tablet mount low in the center console of my E36 so I would definitely be interested in your boards.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    Update: Ran into a little snag. Apparently you can't charge the tab at full current and have the USB connected at the same time...BUT...it will trickle charge and provide almost enough current to run audio, gps, and wifi at the same time. I know this because I had it running for the 6 hour drive to VIR and didn't run out of juice. With the screen off it does replenish the battery slowly. It is what it is but I swapped out a component and actually just finished routing. I'll need to verify it over the weekend but I should have the new board in 3-4 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sptsmed View Post
    Looks great, I am planning a Galaxy Tablet mount low in the center console of my E36 so I would definitely be interested in your boards.
    This might not work for you. I don't think the E36 had a full blown ibus so you wouldn't be able to control the radio. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

My Cars
    323 IC black and tan, 750IL full leather and sport
    That is true, I guess I might have to stick with my original idea and just feed the tablet via bluetooth through my Pioneer P99RS. Going with the tablet for me was to have another source of mass storage to feed the P99RS outside of my Ipod classic, also would allow for navigation, movies, pandora, and OBD features on screen.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by goterps View Post
    Update: Ran into a little snag. Apparently you can't charge the tab at full current and have the USB connected at the same time...BUT...it will trickle charge and provide almost enough current to run audio, gps, and wifi at the same time. I know this because I had it running for the 6 hour drive to VIR and didn't run out of juice. With the screen off it does replenish the battery slowly. It is what it is but I swapped out a component and actually just finished routing. I'll need to verify it over the weekend but I should have the new board in 3-4 weeks!
    Does this board replace the IOIO board and the need for a dock?

Also did you tablet fit in the radio/hvac opening properly or is it at an angle or partial under the dash?

Thanks!

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    This does replace the IOIO board (...thats the plan anyway). The dock was only there for convenience. What I really wanted was a single tab cable that has a USB and audio breakout but there is only one that I've found and looks really crappy. So thats what I was using the dock for. Without the dock the only downside is you have to plug in the samsung usb cable and the headphone jack. With my ghetto bracket, the tab fills up the entire radio opening and just barely grazes the underside of the trim. If the tab was 1/4" smaller it would be perfect but it still fits....

...speaking of the mount, just got back from my friends house who just got a 3D printer! Once we figure out how to use it I plan on trying to print a bracket!

Also, at the last minute I decided to throw a CAN bus transciever on the board. Long term you should be able to see everything the ECU sees in real time. That feature is a long way off though.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    Finally a real update:

Check back in a few days and I'll let yall know if it works!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325ic

This is sweet!

Keep going brotha! I'd like to see were you take this. Its awesome already!

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    I got around to validating the new board and I'm happy to say everything works! I probably won't get around to working the CAN bus anytime soon though. And of course there are the "features" on the app that I have to "adjust". That said, I do have 2 extra boards sitting around. If anyone is adventurous and wants to buy one to play with and get updates as I make them, send me a PM and I'll give you all the details. Thanks for all the interest.

My Cars
    VW TDI
    Didnt realize you had updated saying you had a board available to purchase finally!

I've already got the galaxy tab so this will be a fun experiment.
    - Brad

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    Its been a while and I've been getting more inquiries about the board so here is a quick update:

As is the custom, I'll be out of the country until October. Rest assured, I've received everyone's messages both here and at startercircuits.com. All of your interest has inspired me to move forward with the project so I will be ordering more parts when I get back, and updating the app, chasing down bugs, and making it look like a reasonable product that you don't have to be an engineer or read through all of my "known issues" to use. See you on the other side.
    Last edited by goterps; 09-17-2012 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    04 R75cdti with BMW M47R
    Haha.
    Spot on.
    Congratulations and best wishes to you.

I'd be interested in a board.

-a

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Congrats!! Can't wait to buy one and try it out!

My Cars
    '97 540i6
    Does anyone know what the title of the android app is?
    I'm having trouble finding it...

IBUS Android

I don't think its in the store yet. He will need to send it to you.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    Yeah sorry guys, the app is not ready for widespread release. Plus I haven't registered with google play yet because I figured the only thing that would happen is I'd get a lot of terrible reviews. But if you want to look at the app in its development state, pm me your email and I can send you the .apk which you can install with astro file manager etc. Of course, you'd need the board to talk to the Ibus. Since my first batch is sold or spoken for I'll make another order at the end of the month and can hopefully have more available in november.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Hey goterps,

I am very interested in your ibus interface and would like to buy one from the next batch. Also, I'd be interested in seeing the app as well. I've never made an android app before, but I have some ideas and I'd like to see if I can expand on yours. I am looking at building a carPC based on Kontron's latest KTT30/mITX Tegra 3 motherboard and a 7" 1280x800 multitouch screen. I want to replace my Pioneer AVIC-F90BT with this and regain the functions of the MID. I'm also thinking that since that board has an electrical SPDIF connection for audio that it might be able to interface with the DSP audio system. I do have an e39 530i, but the iBus commands should still work.

I tried to PM you for more info, but I didn't see the option to do so.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    Strange, I can't seem to PM you either. Maybe you don't have enough posts on the forum or something. I have more information up on www.startercircuits.com

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Are you working towards replacing the software interface of the radio? So that one could get rid of the Nav unit / Tv tuner all together?

I have a DSP system without the nav. I'm using an old tv tuner for the interface. But just picked a widescreen out of a 2001 740il and can't get thhe tv tuner to work with the 16:9 ratio.

The prices for a new tv unit or nav unit are crazy so if this could replace the interface i.e. equallizer, nav, radio station settings. I would be interested.
    Last edited by MyronMHouse; 10-20-2012 at 12:02 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Taco T(u)RD
    Quote Originally Posted by MyronMHouse View Post
    Are you working towards replacing the software interface of the radio? So that one could get rid of the Nav unit / Tv tuner all together?
    Actually that's the whole point. To take the navigation unit that sits in the dash and displays radio/obc/navigation completely out of the car. The app is actually creating the Ibus messages and talking to the OBC.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by goterps View Post
    Actually that's the whole point. To take the navigation unit that sits in the dash and displays radio/obc/navigation completely out of the car. The app is actually creating the Ibus messages and talking to the OBC.

hmm, I'd like to help then. If you give me a list of software needed to for programming, I'd like to help create the UI. ( design ) or at least try. Can you program android apps on a mac? I have a PC also.

I take it the android app will have multiple screens then?

Seems like the Dynavin is supposed to do this also, but is not compatible with the DSP system.
    Last edited by MyronMHouse; 10-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Goterps - keep up the good work!

Blackknight530i - Do have a look at the following link, it's a E39 specific in dash fascia from MP3car.com which is slightly modified for the monitor that it houses;

http://store.mp3car.com/Direct_Fit_D..._p/dsh-172.htm

You'd then need to build your in-car PC and connect to it. Once Goterps completes his IBus interface, you could connect that up and have access to the OBC via your PC.

740iL - I think the above is the way you'd need to go as well.

I'm not sure you can retain the oem DSP amplifier setup though as that requires all the oem modules to be present in order to work.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 10-20-2012 at 03:31 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Dennis, I appreciate the link to the LCD mount, but the LCD I want to use is h**p://www .revo-sys.com/7-multi-touch-1280x800-projected-capacitive-open-frame-lcd-monitor-xrspct7hd.php, since it has HDMI inputs. The board I want to use is this one: h**p://us.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded+motherboards/miniitx+motherboards/ktt30mitx.html, since it has HDMI output, SPDIF output, 3.5mm audio out, Tegra 3 quad-core processor, serial ports, etc. I already have a Double-Din mount for my AVIC-F90BT that I will be adapting to the LCD panel and I will probably be mounting the PC in the mount as well.

As for the DSP, I think I read that someone was able to trick the system into thinking the radio unit was there, so we should be able to do that by sending the messages from the app and what I do know is that the SPDIF input on the DSP unit takes only 44.1kHz audio and not the usual 48kHz that SPDIF outputs. If I can get that motherboard from Kontron, I will need to see if I can specify the sample rate to output in.

I have a Resler's interface and Navcoder and I'm just itching to incorporate it's functionality into an Android app. I could probably use Windows Embedded, but it's just not the best for touch interfaces in the car. Plus, android already has all the apps for Navigation, Maps, Pandora, etc. that would make it ideal. The only other thing I could think of is Windows RT, but I doubt it will be made available to the DIYer.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Dennis, I appreciate the link to the LCD mount, but the LCD I want to use is made by Revo-Sys and is a 7" 1280x800 projected capacitive multi-touch LCD that has HDMI inputs. The board I want to use is the Kontron KTT30/mITX, since it has HDMI output, SPDIF output, 3.5mm audio out, Tegra 3 quad-core processor, serial ports, etc. I already have a Double-Din mount for my AVIC-F90BT that I will be adapting to the LCD panel and I will probably be mounting the PC in the mount as well.

As for the DSP, I think I read that someone was able to trick the system into thinking the radio unit was there, so we should be able to do that by sending the messages from the app and what I do know is that the SPDIF input on the DSP unit takes only 44.1kHz audio and not the usual 48kHz that SPDIF outputs. If I can get that motherboard from Kontron, I will need to see if I can specify the sample rate to output in.

I have a Resler's interface and Navcoder and I'm just itching to incorporate it's functionality into an Android app. I could probably use Windows Embedded, but it's just not the best for touch interfaces in the car. Plus, android already has all the apps for Navigation, Maps, Pandora, etc. that would make it ideal. The only other thing I could think of is Windows RT, but I doubt it will be made available to the DIYer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast