Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: New paint job or easy fix n' buff?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i

New paint job or easy fix n' buff?

These scratches are all over my car. PO treated it terribly and was probably a girl from the scratches on the trunk and door handle (metal purse and key rings). When I wash my car, they are still visible and scratch remover doesn't seem to make it look any better. These pictures are from today after it rained but honestly it wouldn't change the look of the scratches if it were washed. I'm gonna give her a good wash after this next rain storm passes but here are the pics:

The one shaped like a "V" and by the antenna are pretty deep. The mild scratches on the doors are all over and on the trunk too. I can't trust any reviews for scratch removers so what would you advise I try?
    IG: ZeeZooM3

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iA
    I'm pretty sure you won't need a repaint. Maybe that huge white scratch will need more attention than some polishing with a buffer, but the rest should buff right out.

My Cars
    2008 M Roadster
    You need to determine if the scratches are white because they go below the basecoat (to primer); or if they are scratches in the clear coat that just have old wax in them. You can tell this mildly rubbing them with a microfiber towel soaked in a Dawn dish washing liquid solution. If the scratches are old wax in clear coat, the white should clean out. Either way, your paint can likely be improved with a full paint correction, but it does not appear you will be able to get all the scratches out. The scratches that are only in the clear coat can be leveled, and corrected - vastly improving their appearance. The scratches that penetrate below the basecoat and expose primer or metal will only be fixed with a repaint. If your not familiar with this type of work, find yourself a Pro Detailer in your area to assess your paint. A good full paint evaluation and correction can be several days to a weeks worth of work. Expect an evaluation for free, and the correction to start at about $400.00. Choose your detailer wisely, as no fifty dollar guy with a Crafstman buffer should ever go near your car. You probably have a mix of both type of scratches, and though a pro detailer won't turn your car into a show car, he likely will greatly improve the finish. To learn more about paint correction as a hobby or to maybe find a recommendation for a pro detailer in your area, check out Autogeek's forums online.

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    A few of those may need a little wet sanding but other than that I think you would be really happy keeping the original paint and getting a really good detail done. I bet there is someone on here that is close to New York.

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523 View Post
    A few of those may need a little wet sanding but other than that I think you would be really happy keeping the original paint and getting a really good detail done. I bet there is someone on here that is close to New York.
    If I don't need to paint it then I shouldn't need to sand it. I'm not much of a body work guy but I am planning to put some body filler in a pretty nice dent on my rear quarter and have that painted. A friend of mine said you don't need to paint the whole panel, just the general area being filled and sanded. I'll give her a wash tomorrow and show how it looks clean.

How do you get rid of the scratches with a rotary though? I have wax and scratch remover but I think I'm doing it wrong

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeZoo View Post
    If I don't need to paint it then I shouldn't need to sand it. I'm not much of a body work guy but I am planning to put some body filler in a pretty nice dent on my rear quarter and have that painted. A friend of mine said you don't need to paint the whole panel, just the general area being filled and sanded. I'll give her a wash tomorrow and show how it looks clean.

How do you get rid of the scratches with a rotary though? I have wax and scratch remover but I think I'm doing it wrong
    have the dent popped. Please dont just put filler in there.

My Cars
    Too many
    I recently have had good luck with meguiar's ultimate compound and ultimate polish.
    1994 e36 325i convertible, 5 spd samoablau metallic-just acquired
    1994 e34 525i schwarz II auto
    1985 Nissan 300zx 5spd
    1991 e34 535i calypsorot metallic 5spd-SOLD

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Most look like they should buff out. The only one I'm not sure about is the one near the antenna. Take it to a shop to get detailed. A few minutes with a buffer will produce results much much quicker and better than you will get by hand.

Look for a shop and call them up. These guys are some of the best in the area. They will have your car looking brand new, but they are kinda pricey.
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/Detai...s_ep_45-1.html

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    have the dent popped. Please dont just put filler in there.
    This is a pretty tough dent, more like a crater. Body filler is the easy way out though

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Try detailers domain, they can correct that paint. I don't know if they will pop the dent though. Just look on craigslist, there are a bunch of dent poppers in the outer boroughs that will do it inexpensively.

Detailers domain is in Jersey

My Cars
    2004 X3 88 M3 83 323i
    Pop the dent out. Wetsand that big scratch and a good detail by the guys at Detailer's Domain and car will look like new!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by coolvegase34 View Post
    I recently have had good luck with meguiar's ultimate compound and ultimate polish.
    I got meguiars scratch remover 2.0 and I can tell that it definitely hides the scratches to the point where you couldn't tell unless you tried looking for them. MUCH better than the other garbage I've tried: "Will remove 100% of scratches or your money back" right... I have swirl marks all over my car and I'm debating if I should just treat certain spots or the entire car. In the end, it looks like a new gloss paintjob

One of these days I'll take it to a shop to wet sand the big scratches and maybe I'll clay bar it.

My Cars
    92-535iM / 87-325is/e39
    Look up "AndrewbigA" detailing in Whitestone Queens....if you google him you can see some sample work...i think he also has a dent guy. He's active in the ny bmw community.

Good luck
    Last edited by michaele30; 05-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    1987 325is -hoarding on to!
    1985 535is-sold
    1999 328ic mtech-sold
    1992 535iM
    2003 525i Sport