Thread: Finding leaks the easy way

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il

Finding leaks the easy way

It looks like my upper oil pan gasket is leaking, I'll try and get some better pics in the next few days but check out my new-to-me lift. It's amazing, anyone in the New England area is welcome to stop by if they want to check out their car...

My Cars
    97 740il/01 VW apr ST3+
    That's awesome, but is it safe? I would be petrified crawling up under that. You go a link?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Oh boy.... 4000lbs up on that looks a little too risky for me.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Dang that looks scary!

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    The scale of the lift is hard to see in the pictures. I pulled, pushed, yanked on the car at one foot, midway and full lift. Stable as can be. Its all in where you place the arms, same as a two post lift.

Most are skeptical when they see pictures, but in person they ask where to buy one. Mine is a bendpak brand but there are others, all about the same.

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3
    Is it this one?
    North Grafton eh? Hmm...
    ...on the gas
    Shled
    Charter Member, BMW e38 Real Beef Club

2001 Dinan 740i (stage 3) Supercharger, High Flow Throttle Body, HF Mass Air Meter, Free Flow Intake Manifold, Stage 3 Suspension (matched set performance tuned springs, camber plates, front struts and rear shocks), Stage 2 Front & Rear Big Brake Conversion, Stage 5 Supercharger Engine & Trans Software, Quaife LSD (from M5), HF Cold Air intake, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, e60 M5 bi-xenon HIDs; BMW e46 ///M3 flappy paddle 3-spoke sport wheel: aspheric, electrochromic, power fold mirrors: factory hydraulic trunk: BM53 Radio: BMW TCU: iPhone integration audio, video to AUX w/USB charging: M5 large body diff w/QUAIFE internals: (sig limit reache...

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    No, that's the low rise version. Mine is a mid, full height is around 48". A little roller stool and it's SO much better than a jack and jack stands. Yup, North Grafton, PM me and stop on by. We'll have a beer. I want to see the supercharger setup and ask some questions about diag. software
    Last edited by a5t1; 02-27-2012 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 750
    great idea, do you think the exhaust and tranny can be removed with it on there?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    I'll take some more pictures later this week with it on the lift...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740iL
    I would definitely have to see it in person because by the glimpse of the pics I would be worried about being under that as well, lol...! However, even with a jack and jack stands there is danger!!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    In the pictures the lift looks smaller than it is, I've used two posts before and the car is as stable on this as a two post. Its all about proper arm placement.

When I see pictures of cars on bricks or people using those jacks and stands from autozone I cringe.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    What did you pay for it?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    They are about $2100 new for the name brand, $1400 for the chinese generic brand. Still have to add anywhere from 200-400 for freight.

I paid 1300 for a used name brand delivered to my house. Not a steal but a good price. After using it once to get under the car I'm very happy with the purchase.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJOE2664 View Post
    I would definitely have to see it in person because by the glimpse of the pics I would be worried about being under that as well, lol...! However, even with a jack and jack stands there is danger!!

Yup! There is danger around every corner. I read in the paper where a guy on his way out of the house in the morning. Tripped going down the stairs. Hit his head and was pronounced dead not too long after. Not saying you should invite it by crawling under an unsafe jack but you get the idea.

My Cars
    01 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by a5t1
    It looks like my upper oil pan gasket is leaking, I'll try and get some better pics in the next few days but check out my new-to-me lift. It's amazing, anyone in the New England area is welcome to stop by if they want to check out their car...
    There like 7 states in new England watch one would be close to you

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Cool looking. A shop near me has two. Where is north grafting? Nh? Mass?