Thread: Anyone know of a well documented E39 M5 engine swap project?

My Cars
    e60

Anyone know of a well documented E39 M5 engine swap project?

Hi,
    I currently have an E39 523i and would like to do a total M5 conversion. I know you will tell me to buy an M5 because I will end up paying more for the conversion, so I will tell you about my situation first....
    Firstly, I live in Bangkok, Thailand and the import tax for cars with an engine capacity of >3000cc is equivilent to (invoice value+shipping costs) x 328%!!
    However, if I would buy a whole M5 abroad and import it fully stripped apart the importation tax will be 3% (note that importing with this method means that the customs will cut only the chassis of the car in half to make sure it cannot be legally registered.

Ok, now my question is...
    1. Can anyone point me towards a good write-up/documentation of such a project?
    2. Will my legally registered E39 523i require any modifications to the chassis in order use the M5 parts or will all the m5 parts fit in perfectly? Basically, are there any differences to the chassis between M5 e39s and the normal ones?

Thanks in advance!
    Michael

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    You'll need M5 complete front subframe and related suspension, engine with harness, DME, key, EWS, cluster, transmission, driveshaft and diff, or a custom driveshaft, fuel pump and regulator/filter... And other misc items. And if you're not doing it yourself, even with tax it would probly be cheaper to buy an M5 whole.

My Cars
    e60
    Every single part will be there because the whole M5 car will be shipped to Thailand, then it will be totally stripped apart, but the frame/chassis will be thrown away. Labor costs in Thailand is very very cheap, but I plan to do it myself as a hobby!
    But what I really want to know is will all the parts be compatible with the frame of the 523? or do I have to make new mounts for the engine, subframe, etc?

I also forgot to mention that the 523 I have is a Right-hand drive. If I were to import an LHD would it still work?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Gotcha. The subframes will bolt right up to the body. Different sided steering, I dont think that will work because the steering box and chassis is set up differently.

My Cars
    e60
    Hmmm... So both cars have exactly the same chassis? I've been trying to find that out, but I still haven't been able to find useful links. I just want to confirm first that the chassis is exactly the same. First I thought the M5s might have a more re-inforced chassis or one with different bolting locations etc. etc....

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Looking under a 528i versus 540i I noticed that ...

there are transmission mounting bosses that are in different locations. The bosses are spot welded in place and, I suppose, could be removed and replaced.

The underside of the M5 trunk is different than the non-M5. This affects the exhaust system from the differential back.
    540i-LS3-TR6060 swap thread

My Cars
    e60
    Thanks zr6,
    I'll look into it. Do could you paste a link of where you found the information?

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    These are pictures of the transmission mounting tabs on a 540i 6spd and a 528i automatic.

You should be able to find pictures (google) of the M5 under trunk versus non-M5s.

Have you considered purchasing the LS kit from Jesus Freak? The headers wouldn't work (right hand drive problem), but you could modify exhaust manifolds similar to what I did or have someone at your local build headers. Though the starter motor clearance may make headers/modified manifolds easier said than done.

If exhaust is doable the LS route may be less work to get better power numbers (and save an M5 from the cutting block).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zr6sbc; 01-29-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    540i-LS3-TR6060 swap thread