Thread: Thinking of buying a 97 528i

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i

Thinking of buying a 97 528i

I found a 97 528i for $3900 with 157k on it. I understand that a 3900 car will probably not be perfect. Especially from a retail dealership who probably got it as a trade in for 2500. But i'm 17 and I need a car for school next year and can't spend over $5000 on a car. Carfax shows no accidents. 3 Owners, Waterpump and thermostat replaced at 27k, Oil and filter changed at 156k, not really anything else on it. When i emailed them about the bumper they said it has a broken bracket. What do y'all think?

My Cars
    '07 525xi/6, '08 535xit
    Don't do it. My son is 17 and going to school next year. I would not send him with an E39 (5 series of this vintage). It will need work and make you sad with great frequency. You need a reliable car so you can focus on school. This is not the car.

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    Honestly, I think I would pass unless you can wrench on the car yourself. What part of B'ham is it in? I live not too far from there and would be glad to check it out this weekend.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    If you can't afford to spend $5000 on a car, you probably can't afford a 15 year old BMW, unless you are a mechanic.
    2 repairs and it's game over for you.

Stick to a Honda until you are an adult with a career and some real money saved.
    It really is the best advice for you.

Anyone have the other thread where everyone gave similar advice to someone else?
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 01-24-2012 at 06:53 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by evertoconquer View Post
    Honestly, I think I would pass unless you can wrench on the car yourself. What part of B'ham is it in? I live not too far from there and would be glad to check it out this weekend.
    Well the cars in Murfreesboro TN but I appreciate the offer. And my parents said that they would help me on the repairs when it needs them and I actually have a great job for someone under 20 so I can afford when things go wrong. I actually found a different one in GA thats a one owner car and has a carfax FULL of service reports by the dealership, under 110k on it too. Its a little more pricey then this one but I think worth it. I'm planning to go sometime this weekend to take it to a mechanic.

Also my father actually owns a used car lot here, so I can get parts at a discount and most installed for free.

My Cars
    '07 525xi/6, '08 535xit
    Then that's a little different. I'm glad you are going to get a ppi. Shop logically, not emotionally.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Like I said, my dad owns a used car lot, after being over there for so many years I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a car without it. If you wouldn't mind heres the carfax and pictures of the car. I do realize that there is a mileage inconsistency and I plan on contacting the dealership tomorrow about it. I can understand if the gauge cluster broke and had to be replaced or something if theres documentation that shows the actual miles (or even the carfax shows the vehicle was imported from germany maybe it was reading in km and switched out? Probably not but I figured i'd give them a chance to explain)

It's still a one owner car with a lot of maintenance records, looks clean, leathers in pretty good condition which I think is a good sign. As far as the dealership goes it's a eBiz website which I know for a fact is a pretty pricy service (pretty sure its $2000-3000 a month) and there not hiding the carfax even when its not all good -- both good signs.

bump?
    Last edited by Daniel96; 01-25-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    If you're dead set on an e39, there's one in the town I live in that's clean and has been sitting for a minute. It's a 2001/2 530 sport and he wants $8k for it. You should be able to pm by now but if not, I'll leave my e-mail if you want the details.

wllmcly@yahoo.com

http://www.robomotors.net/usedinventory.html

There's the site that it's at. I've driven it before as I was thinking about buying it for a second car, but it drives smooth and the paint and interior are nice.
    Last edited by evertoconquer; 01-26-2012 at 03:54 PM.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel96 View Post
    Well the cars in Murfreesboro TN but I appreciate the offer. And my parents said that they would help me on the repairs when it needs them and I actually have a great job for someone under 20 so I can afford when things go wrong. I actually found a different one in GA thats a one owner car and has a carfax FULL of service reports by the dealership, under 110k on it too. Its a little more pricey then this one but I think worth it. I'm planning to go sometime this weekend to take it to a mechanic.

Also my father actually owns a used car lot here, so I can get parts at a discount and most installed for free.
    The Carfax on that car in Georgia shows lots of mileage progression from 104,779 in April 2004 up to 205,128 in November 2011 when the owner sold it to a dealer. The next mileage report is 108,277 on January 2012 as reported by the Auto Auction company.

While it may be possible that the most recent report has a typo with a "1" in the first position instead of a "2", the fact is that this car most certainly has more than 200K miles on it, not 110K.

But you must realize that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman528 View Post
    The Carfax on that car in Georgia shows lots of mileage progression from 104,779 in April 2004 up to 205,128 in November 2011 when the owner sold it to a dealer. The next mileage report is 108,277 on January 2012 as reported by the Auto Auction company.

While it may be possible that the most recent report has a typo with a "1" in the first position instead of a "2", the fact is that this car most certainly has more than 200K miles on it, not 110K.

But you must realize that, right?
    Actually the photo on the dealer website very clearly shows the odometer reading as 108,277 so there is definitely some odometer tampering going on here.
    Last edited by Ashman528; 01-27-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    X5 35i>530XiT>528i
    If you can't spend $5K on a car, bear in mind that your '97 528i is quite likely to cost you more than that the first year you have it, if you take care of all the things that need doing. Even with your family hook-up, this will not be a cheap car to own. Ask me how I know. . .

My Cars
    BMW e39 - Black Mamba 8)
    BMW is NOT end will never be a cheap car... even if you could buy it cheap... maintence ir realy expensive.

I had e34 525 - bought it 350LVL (~700USD) and after 14month i had invested only on repairs ~1k LVL (~2k USD) ...finaly i sold it

Now i have e39 523i... @first day i changed two front tires. I bought used... 70$ for them... Now i need some repairs that will cost 200$ .... and there will be much more repairs etc... BMW...
    There are those who tear down others to build themselves up and those who just build

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    The 1st car looks pretty beat and the 2nd car looks a bit sketchy with the mileage difference.

Doesn't make sense for you to buy a BMW that's going to cost you well over 5 grand in a short period of time. Stick with a Honda or something more reliable.