Thread: DISA repair kit in final stages!!!!

My Cars
    2003 530iA

DISA repair kit in final stages!!!!

As you know, the DISA valve for the i6 are prone to failure after about 80-90 k miles. It starts with the DISA rattle (whirring actually) and degrades with some lean codes (triggered by flapper not in correct position & leak around the integrated gasket), and then followed by a sheared flapper with the steel pin falling in the engine. This will be a very costly repair. Changing the DISA every 80-90 k is OK, but the unit is still 200 bux give or take.
    A fellow on the "other" board approached the issue and is in the final stages of building a sturdy repair kit for the DISA valve. The only 2 things that fail on it is the flapper unit and the seal.

Here is a pic with damage to the piston caused by a DISA pin:

And here is the damage to the head:

This is the post with the above pics

The repair kit for the DISA valve will include new aluminum flapper valve, aluminum bell crank actuating lever, custom titainium bolt/pivot pin, small packet of 262 loctite threadlock, a new silicone o-ring, a small packet of synthetic grease and complete instructions.

Some teaser pics:

And here is the post with the repair kit

I know I will buy one once it's available (very shortly I hope)
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    2000 528i 5-spd
    Nice! I love seeing efforts like this and Beisan's System's VANOS seals that fix things once and for all.
    <br>Kicking ass seems to be THE ONLY solution to life's problems. Kicking ass is the first, second and third option. Plan B and C are also kicking ass.

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    Wow... I didn't even know about this issue on the I6's

The more I read and learn, the happier I am that I got a V8... despite its chain rails and valley pan... lol.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin517 View Post
    Wow... I didn't even know about this issue on the I6's

The more I read and learn, the happier I am that I got a V8... despite its chain rails and valley pan... lol.
    I advocate pulling the DISA every 50K, cleaning it down with Throttle Body Valve Spray, feeling it's tension to see how healthy it is and replacing the o-ring (see my DISA Valve o-ring thread). You'll see a lot of 3 Series cats meowing about their DISA (it forced many threads were some were doing a DISA-delete and blocking up the hole with a piece of aluminum). I gotta say the DISA seems something like an appendix, though I understand it's function and purpose...

Doru - cool. Interested to see this DIY. I think the prices of the DISA have come down or at least I see it cheaper than before. Curious to see and hear your thoughts on DIY'ing on this R&R versus the assurance/ease/cost of buying a new unit.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    yeah, I am going to guess complete failure is rare and takes some time/neglect for the engine to ingest the rod... but still, that would really piss me off, lol.

The delete is interestng, probably just looses a little low end torque. I would want it to be functioning though... BMW did it for a reason, I think. heh.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    I advocate pulling the DISA every 50K, cleaning it down with Throttle Body Valve Spray, feeling it's tension to see how healthy it is and replacing the o-ring (see my DISA Valve o-ring thread). You'll see a lot of 3 Series cats meowing about their DISA (it forced many threads were some were doing a DISA-delete and blocking up the hole with a piece of aluminum). I gotta say the DISA seems something like an appendix, though I understand it's function and purpose...

Doru - cool. Interested to see this DIY. I think the prices of the DISA have come down or at least I see it cheaper than before. Curious to see and hear your thoughts on DIY'ing on this R&R versus the assurance/ease/cost of buying a new unit.
    This past May or June I pulled my DISA which was close to 93k miles - I had the DISA rattle (whirring). Once the unit was out, the flapper had the first 1/2 inch turn very loose. the integrated seal was still OK - no leaks could be spotted. I had also purchased the "O"-ring from the e-bay seller, but I opted to change the DISA due to the looseness of the flapper. I also had some sudden loss of power while cruising on the Hi-way, attributed to all kinds of speculations ranging from clogged fuel filter (which was changed) to vacuum leaks and failing CPS, but changing the DISA cured it - go figure!!!
    That goddamn flapper, once it starts moving inside the shaft, does not seal properly (or open properly) for the demand of the engine, so it's not only the issue of a broken pin (worst case scenario) or a failed gasket which can let unmetered air into the engine, but also affects adversely the "metered" air that gets in via the opening of the said flapper!!!
    But that's just me, and my observation for my car. I am happy with he new DISA, I have the old one on the shelf and I know I will buy that kit once it's out there. I had my fit with this piece of engineering as well, chasing all kinds of vacuum leaks and engine noises. That "whirr" is not as easy to diagnose...it comes and goes sometimes and drove me bananas. Not to mention that power loss while cruising (which had exactly the symptoms of a clogged fuel filter).

My Cars
    97 e39

M52?

I've got a 97 528, does it have the same variable intake system? Should I be looking/listening for this as well?

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenwyatt View Post
    I've got a 97 528, does it have the same variable intake system? Should I be looking/listening for this as well?
    Check with realoem. If it shows a DISA valve, I don't think the M52 one is drastically different from the M54 unit. Also, if check the link I posted - the "other" forum thread - you will see that he is in the final stages of building the repair kit for the M54 DISA, then he will tackle the M52 DISA kit.

My Cars
    2003 530iA

Update

Getting really close (post). He said he's looking into a modified CCV kit as well:

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    It seems the kit ready!!! The flapper will be a anodized black color. A tentative price around 90 bux for the repair kit (which seems to last "forever"). Here is the DIY on how to replace the parts that fail.

I think this kit is good value and peace of mind.

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    Well done. Very impressive.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    My disa is shot. I'll def be looking to purchase this when the kit is ready to go.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    My disa its pretty beaten, should I buy a new one and install this kit, or this kit alone will refresh my old one ?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Mine doesn't spin anymore that's why I'm probably going to buy the kit unless I can find a used one cheap.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by doru View Post
    a fellow on the "other" board approached the issue and is in the final stages of building a sturdy repair kit for the disa valve. The only 2 things that fail on it is the flapper unit and the seal.
    wrong.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    wrong.

What else fails then?

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    What is the update on this DISA kit?

Is German Auto Solution kit the way to go?
    Is G.A.S. stuff aluminum or plastic?

My Cars
    2002 525i Toledo Blau.
    I already installed this kit.

http://www.i6automotive.co.uk/disa-valve-kits/

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post

It sure appears to be the same kit, or at least the same hard parts that German Auto Solutions is selling.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post

The flap is aluminum, the pin goes through the flap and is made of titanium. I only had it for a few thousand miles so can't speak to longevity, but I expect it to outlast stock replacements.