Thread: Secret Menu and Nav Settings Questions - MKIII/MKIIII

My Cars
    z3

Secret Menu and Nav Settings Questions - MKIII/MKIIII

So awhile ago my battery went out and since then the time on my navigation/OBC unit has not reset itself, nor the date. So I was trying to figure it out today, but it was not anywhere in any menu as far as I could tell, nor was it in the secret menu. I did, however, discover that the secret menu knew what time it was! Heres a little DIY and guide on the secret menu, from the begining through all the functions... I am sure most of you know this but for anyone who doesn't here is a little walkthrough. Do this at your own risk. I don't mess with settings before knowing what they are beforehand and recommend you refrain in the same manner.

From the start, go to Settings

Once you are in Settings, hold down Menu for about 10 seconds

It will take you to this menu

First section is "On Board Computer"

I really don't know what any of that means, but if you press Functions...

You get 3 options - Version, Key Settings, and Contrast. Contrast is pretty straightforward

I usually turn off my monitor when driving because its so bright and distracting, but this gives me a nice option to turn it down. I have it at -4. Next is Key Settings

I dont know what Key means, but that is where it was by default. I am also not sure what OBM increment sensor means. I assume Radio increment sensor has to do with the speed-volume increase level, which is something I will investigate later. It was strange that the next option over was FF instead of perhaps, 01, 02, etc... so I left it alone for now. Leave it alone for a second or two and the Function button will come back

This is computer version, probably not of use to any of us. Next (back from the Secret menu base menu) is Navi/Graphic Functions

Again probably not useful to any of us. Next on the secret menu is Video, which I can not access. After that...

GPS version. Then we have GPS Status, tells you the Latitude/Longitude and I even believe the current speed you are heading. Of course this was in my garage so I am at 0m/s

It bothers me that this menu knows the correct time but note on the bottom right that it does not know the date. If someone can help me with that, I would appreciate it

The last function under GPS is more boring numbers

Probably one of the coolest things we have is Sensor Check, including a real-time Gyro, telling you which direcetion you are headed, as well as the G-forces to go along with it. Sometimes it is fun to drive around with it on and it can tell you where you are going. Not sure why my Wheel Sensor is at 0 though but it may have to do with the fact that the car is not on

Lastly is telematic settings...

Pretty cool to be able to input your number and license plate in there. However I could not adjust the VIN, and it makes me wonder if my car got a radio from a 7 series - thus the "7er" designation. You can also input your car's color - useless but kinda cool

Hope you guys enjoy being able to know some of this stuff. If anyone can help me with getting my time and date set correctly that would be great. Also if anyone knows what the "Radio increment sensor" or "OBC increment sensor" does that would be cool. I get the feeling they both have to do with getting louder as speed increases, but how to set them I am not sure.

Enjoy the secret menu if you did not know how to access it before! I can now enjoy my navigation system being on without blinding me thanks to the contrast!!! Happy motoring everyone!
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 03-04-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '98 528i, '00 M5
    Yes, your nav or radio is from a 7 series, wheel sensor is 0 because your not moving, and I to cant see why the time and date arent auto updated from GPS either, but its not.
    The license plate and vin info is for a euro onstar sort of system, if Im not mistaken. No function in the US. Wheel speed and gyro info is used to calculate position when the GPS looses its signal.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    blackxs,

Setting the time & date was a piece of cake. But, I figured it out one morning while waiting to go out to breakfast with some ladies. So, I don't really remember how I did it. I kinda just stumbled upon it. Sorry & good luck... !

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    Subscribed for future reference. Unlocked the cluster a while back for those options but haven't tried this yet.

Date and time setting are not very intuitive, sorry don't remember exactly but I do remember took me a few minutes first time. Just go slow and you'll get it.
    BLUE HEAVEN:
    Interlagos 2006 M3, AutoLogic tune, K&N CAI, Agency Power midpipes and exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, ///M Pedal Kit, UUC SSK. MRegistry listing here
    Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Tech Graphite, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Conforti/Shark tune. MRegistry listing here

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    To set the Date & Time via the Nav menu,

Go to the Menu & select Set or Settings (depending on your Nav version software).

Inside the Set/Settings menu option is a Date & a Time setting. For whatever reason (& it's counter-intuitive), set the Time first, then the Date.

That's it.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    530DA E39 Touring Pack M
    +1 You need to set the time FIRST then you will be able to set the date.

My Cars
    540i/6 Sporty

Awesome Post

I have been wondering for a long a** time about how to control contrast.

My problem has been the opposite. My screen is so dark that I can barely see it. And I'm hoping that turning up the contrast from the secret menu will also make the GPS screen brighter, too.

May be somewhere in there I will be able to even control my nav voice volume. If I happen to be listening to music moderately loudly, then the navigation voice is extrememly booming loud that I don't want to use it. If anyone knows how to make the nav voice lower than the radio volume, it would surely hook me up.

Re: the OP's day and date. As best I can remember there is a way to get to a day and date and time settings. I think it is in settings. I will play with it some more tomorrow. And I'll post here with specific steps if I can recall them all.
    note: I have the MK IV.
    The More You Get To Know People, The More You Love Your Dog.

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    Quick question -- BMW never officially told owners about these features, correct? I'm talking about unlocked nav and cluster. I'm writing up a post and want to confirm, if anyone knows.
    BLUE HEAVEN:
    Interlagos 2006 M3, AutoLogic tune, K&N CAI, Agency Power midpipes and exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, ///M Pedal Kit, UUC SSK. MRegistry listing here
    Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Tech Graphite, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Conforti/Shark tune. MRegistry listing here

My Cars
    2017 F250
    IV

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgy99 View Post
    Quick question -- BMW never officially told owners about these features, correct? I'm talking about unlocked nav and cluster. I'm writing up a post and want to confirm, if anyone knows.
    No, the info about and how to access these "hidden" menus is only written about in BMW tech documents.

For example...this is from BMW's "Drivers Information Systems" technical doc...and I believe you can find other BMW tech docs (in PDF format) at www.e38.org & www.e38.org/e39 . If you do a page search on either of those sites...use "pdf" as your search word and you'll skip to every link that is a PDF.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-23-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    Thanks Q. I think the word secret is justified, if owners need to scour online sites for docs that don't even reference the right body style.
    BLUE HEAVEN:

My Cars
    '98 528i, '00 M5
    Nice re-discovery of the secret menu. This is all well documented about 10 years ago.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgy99 View Post
    Thanks Q. I think the word secret is justified, if owners need to scour online sites for docs that don't even reference the right body style.
    No problem. The interesting thing about your last statement (body style reference) is...there is so much shared basic design elements across BMW models built during the same time. There may be a few physical differences in design (like the MID from the e38/e39/e46 are all physically different) but they all operate basically the same way. The design architecture of BMW's communication BUS works the same way in all the models built during the same generation. So, even though the PDF info may be on an e38 or e53 (X5) site...the tech document will usually cover the e46/e39/e38/e53/e52.

For example, the PDFs below about the nav & wide nav & NG (new generation) radio systems discusses some of the details of the "secret menu" used in all of the aforementioned BMW models...the fact that the PDF is on an e38 site is only relegated to that it was an e38 owner that found & shared it on an e38 forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
    Nice re-discovery of the secret menu. This is all well documented about 10 years ago.
    Ditto...but I guess we have to every-now-and-then drop some serious information "bombs" on all the noobs as far as to how much in-depth information is out there...and hope that they take the opportunity to broaden their knowledge base. Many of them can barely wade thru the FAQ/DIY threads...let alone all the tech PDFs out there. Most appear to really be addicted to being "spoon fed"...but eventually, they'll have to be weened from the "teet"...and pick up the proverbial "fork & spoon" and feed themselves.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)