Thread: Strong Gas Odor After Fueling

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325iC

Strong Gas Odor After Fueling

1994 325iC. I stop filling my gas tank when the gas pump automatically kicks off. I use to top the tank as much as possible, but thought maybe my gas smell was caused by getting fuel in the vent line (or related to topping it off in one way or another).

Anyway, after fueling, the car has a very noticeable, static, gasoline smell. No visible leaks. Anyone else experience this issue? The fuel odor in my garage is brutal after filling the tank!

I'll have to pay attention to the fuel level when the smell is no longer noticeable, but I'm a bit perplexed since I don't see any leaks.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    You have to have a leak. Period.

The fuel level sending units (two of them) live under the back seat. One of them also houses the fuel pump. There is an O-ring or flat round gasket to seal the sending units, you need to check that it is there and is not compromised. The fuel filler hose connects to the gas tank outside of the passenger compartment, so a leak there should be noticable outside, but probably not inside.

So, the next step in the troubleshooting is to determine if the fuel odor is inside or outside of the car. The stuff to look at for fixing it is different. But, no matter where the leak is, you will need to gain access to the fuel filler hose and associated plumbing. I think you have to remove the fender liner to do that.

It's easiest to find a fuel vapor leak if you smoke while working.

My Cars
    1997 328i convertible
    +1
    It is easy to pull up the back seat and remove the two access panels. If you check it with a full tank, it will be obvious.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325iC
    Thanks for the info.

JD- sorry, I don't smoke. I'll have to look for a vapor leak with my propane torch