Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "While I'm in there" restoration

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is

"While I'm in there" restoration

Great bicycling jesus I'm finally coming to the end of a long restoration. I've had this car for 5 years, since I was 16, and have really taken it places. Within the first 2 years of owning the car I all but trashed it. The last two years I've spent fixing damage, restoring it so I can shred that pig all over again I've seriously done a LOT... find one thing, fixing it, drive the car, realize something else is broken, tear it down again, rinse, wash, repeat. Finally I got sick of it and decided to fix everything while I'm in there so I can finally have a reliable car.
    This is my first E30 build, and my first major car restoration. I owe to the folks at Bimmerforums for the questions they've answered, and resources and info they've shared.
    I've done like everything I can think of, but I would like a few last suggestions/recommendations on what I should take care of "while I'm in there"

Replaced/installed in 2009-2011 rebuild, some since '06 are <4K miles (indicated if so). I probably forgot a couple things.

>Engine - 2.7L M20
    - ALL gaskets replaced
    - Torx head bolts
    - front lower timing cover replaced
    - oil pump shaft seal
    - oil pump + screen
    - oil pan (new '07)
    - fan + clutch
    - 8mm ignition wires
    - volt coil
    - new alternator
    - voltage regulator
    - oil pressure switch
    - timing belt, tensioner & spring
    - OEM engine mounts (polyurethane on the way)
    - fuel pump
    - water pump
    - starter motor

> Upper Engine
    - rebuilt head ALL new seals (by Crankshaft Grind & Metallizing Co. )
    - valve guide seals, valves polished & lapped
    - mild Schrick 274 cam
    - 'i' dual valve springs + keepers
    - fuel rail
    - fuel pressure regulator
    - M50 17# injectors
    - 'i' intake
    - 'i' throttle body, rebuilt w/ springs
    - new vacuum hoses
    - valve cover (cover & intk manif. painted wrinkle black)
    - intake boot
    - ICV
    - new coolant hoses
    - thermostat & housing
    - distributor cap & rotor ('06)

> Transmission & Clutch
    - transmission completely rebuilt, ALL new seals & gaskets by Lelis Transmissions
    --- new synchronizer rings
    --- new detent cover
    --- new bung plugs and the rest of bits
    --- new bearings
    - ALL new & shiny bolts for mounting transmission to engine + starter motor
    - clutch master cylinder
    - slave cylinder
    - clutch hose
    - selector rod joint
    - ALL new shifter bushings & support arm bracket, new clips
    - cheapo short shifter kit (works fantastically, same as Z3 shift)
    - UUC dual shear selector rod
    - leather ergo shifter knob
    - leather shift boot
    - new clutch throw arm (couldn't find the old one for some reason)
    - brass clutch arm pivot pin
    - clutch arm return spring
    - Stage 2 clutch kit
    - -- sport friction disc, upgraded pressure plate
    - -- new throw-out bearing
    - -- new pilot bearing
    - single mass flywheel (ground to 8 kilos by Crankshaft Grind & Metallizing Co.)
    - Polyurethane transmission mounts
    - guibo/flex disc
    - probably forgot something here

> Suspension
    - control arms & ball joints
    - control arm brackets
    - polyurethane lower control arm bushings
    - inner & outer tie rods
    - sway bar mounts

> Brakes
    - new organic pads
    - new parking brake shoes, clips and springs
    - cross drilled Brembo brake rotors
    - 25mm brake master cylinder (18% larger)

> Exhaust
    - new muffler ('06)
    - tubular sport headers w/ thermal wrap

> Interior & Body
    - ///M steering wheel
    - door panels
    - rear quarter panels
    - front shifter console, handbrake console
    - new headliner goin' in - may decide to make a custom beige w/ brown stripe one
    - upper visor console (for electric moonroof convert)
    - front seats (fresh black perforated vinyl)
    - rear bench seat (fresh black perforated vinyl) -- trying to find one w/ armrest
    - OBC-II (13 button) retrofit
    - half-smoke taillights
    - electric moonroof swap (glass moonroof stock w/ car)
    - ABS kill switch (for winter / track driving where you don't want that crap)

> Audio (NEW, replaced to OEM or better. Front speakers & tweets are Hertz primos)
    - OEM premium sound system & new wiring harness & new amplifier
    - OEM head unit w/ cassette player, plans to piggyback w/ modern head unit
    - ditched my crappy sub setup, saving up for a nice Blaupunkt one. Aiming at a simple single 10" or 12" w/ shallow enclosure (I like trunk space) that will add good low-end in the cabin

>> coming soon! (too broke to buy at the moment)
    - Ground control adjustable sport touring kit w/ camber plates
    - multi-pot brake calipers (prob. Wilwood?)
    - IE sway kit
    - New bushings all around when I feel like tearing it down again. prolly a mix of poly and rubber where I see fit.
    - friggin mild window tint. The summers here are brutal, esp. with black seats.
    - new tires and some good rims. Right now I'm running on some cheap (but matching this time) 16" rims with average tires.

Here it is, so dubbed 'Franz'

Here it is right after I bought it:

This is most of the parts I've collected for the car. All those little bags are mostly bolts, clips, bushings, gaskets, bolts, bolts, and the obligatory bag of curios of mysterious origin.

A freshly rebuilt trans w/ shift kit installed.
    Last edited by Helion42; 07-18-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    '96 328i 'vert
    '91 325is resto project /steady as she goes/ http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post22092910
    '89 325i runabout
    '72 R75/5 restoration (The Albatross)

My Cars
    96 328i
    Trust me, I know your pain. The 'while you're in there' thing is dangerously expensive. On a 10 year old car? Not so bad. On an e30? Dear god.

My Cars
    '86es/'87is/'89i/'98ti

My Cars
    e30
    Awesome. I foresee one sweet e30 in the future.

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by havand View Post
    Trust me, I know your pain. The 'while you're in there' thing is dangerously expensive. On a 10 year old car? Not so bad. On an e30? Dear god.
    I dunno, a 21-year-old E30 is way cheaper than most 10-year-old cars in the sense of parts I think - the thing that gets you is you're replacing more.
    On the topic of age, I was tickled when I noticed this car was built the month AND year I was born. FEB 1990.

I discovered that I should probably do the sway bar bushings while I have the suspension apart. +8 handling, +2 exp, -30 dollar
    '96 328i 'vert
    '91 325is resto project /steady as she goes/ http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post22092910
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    89 325i, 91 318ic
    LOL.. obviously a gamer! Great job on the car and fantastic shot of the shifter and mechanism. That pic will definitely make into my "reference" folder.

I'm kind of in the same boat with this little vert. On one hand, I can't wait to toss the M42 back into it to see how it runs. On the other hand, I would love to replace the 1/2 chrome - 1/2 standard bottle caps, the "79 Caddy" soft suspension, and the "I've been open to the elements for 15 of my 20 years" interior, before I get it back on the road. But as you know, the cost becomes prohibitive when actually trying to feed a family and pay a mortgage at the same time.

Cases like your's provide motivation though! Kudos!
    Sean

A Company that will go to the ends of the Earth for it's people...will find that they can generally pay them 1/10th of an American worker.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    pretty pressure plate and shift kit, that e30 is lookin sweeeeet

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by chefthomas View Post
    pretty pressure plate and shift kit, that e30 is lookin sweeeeet
    Shifting the trans out of the car feels amazing, I can't wait to feel it in the car. I've never driven a car that has a 'practically new' transmission, so I'm stoked to break it in.
    Also I can't wait till I can refresh the paint, but it will just have to wait until it drives like a fresh pair of shoes - clean, firm and supportive.

When I was ordering the parts for the trans and being completely astounded that the parts are so expensive (synchros only available from Getrag, which means shipping from Munich, @$100.04 each, 6 of them in trans) I wondered how many people rebuild their Getrags, vs just finding a working one and driving it till it drops whenever? I went with rebuild, bc I just wouldn't know what I'm getting with a used trans.
    '96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Beautiful project, keep up the great work!

The "while I'm in there" syndrome..... Is also known as "Shipwright's Disease". Google it.

It goes something like this:

Shipwright's disease

"Sailor owns boat.
    Boat has burned out light in galley.
    Sailor decides to change bulb.
    Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
    Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
    Sailor decides to change wiring.
    Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.
    Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
    Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a
    major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb. [wz]"

Not to worry. It is a fairly common malady in these parts. .
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Glad there's a name for my ailment.

So when I first started this project and tore out the engine/trans, I found out that the drivetrain I had swapped in earlier (old one threw a timing belt) is out of an '88 528e. I figured everything's the same, and everything I ordered fit the engine, but today when I started putting the clutch on I noticed that the pilot bearing easily fits the engine... but won't slide over the input shaft.
    I slapped my head and remembered that my trans rebuilder said that this one's a "heavy duty" one b/c it's from a 5-series, and he had to get special bearings for it -- so it's not a huge surprise that the input and output shafts are larger in diameter. (input shaft is almost a mm bigger than the pilot bearing's hole?)

Do pilot bearings need to be pressed onto the input shaft? I ordered another one for a 528e so I hope it'll work.

Another question, that research hasn't satisfied:
    When I'm putting the trans & clutch on the engine, any tricks I should know? Do I need to lube the input shaft splines?
    '96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Ok I guess I was wrong about the heavy duty trans thing, the new pilot bearing came in and was exactly the same as the 325i bearing. Didn't fit.
    I checked it out with a micrometer and it turned out the end of the input shaft had been hit and mushroomed by freakin 10 microns (I guess my caliper couldn't read it very well). I had my trans guy file it off to fit the bearing, and filled it up with MT-90.

While I'm putting the clutch together and such, I'd like to know what kind of grease to use on the clutch fork, and if I need to lube the shaft splines?
    '96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is

Update

it's been a weird spring here in Utah, and the rain has prevented anything awesome from happening. Here's whats up:

MY car has got to be the lightest E30 around. It weighs about 860 Kg right now.
    Sure, it can't drive, but damn that's light.

Yesterday I constructed a screen cover for the "popeye" style intake duct through the hi-beam and painted the headlight buckets w/ rustoleum. The chrome rings need some touch-up though.

found out my new rims & tires don't fit, they rub the shock towers and generally suck.
    I also found out that I can't find my passenger side brake mounting brackets. Hmmm.

started filtering through some of the wiring, and have almost sorted out the security system. Wired in fused dash microswitches for the subs, fans, interior lights and a possible connection for a hardwired radar detector or whatever the hell I feel like putting on there. Wired in ABS switch (used a square window-lock button from a 4-door). Replaced the wiring harness for the primo sound system, since the last one had been hacked for an afm head unit - I'm thinking of having the OEM deck in the dash, and a piggyback ''modern'' one in the glovebox.

started replacing the seat shocks. Need to find new circlips.
    '96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    ot of curiosity, you do plan on removing the picture from the instrument cluster so you can see the temp guage? Sorry, it is just bugging me....

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    I'll probably remove it for a little while to make sure I put the car back together proper, but my car's never had any cooling problems so I've left it.
    On the other hand, I can't find anywhere else to stick it!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Quote Originally Posted by Helion42 View Post
    I'll probably remove it for a little while to make sure I put the car back together proper, but my car's never had any cooling problems so I've left it.
    On the other hand, I can't find anywhere else to stick it!
    Ummm... Never had any cooling problems... And never will, correct? . You are a very trusting soul, indeed.

How would you know if your car was developing a cooling problem, with that sticker there? It may be developing a cooling problem right now. I personally would not want to find out the hard way.

If you have never had a problem running low on fuel, you could just put it over your fuel gauge, right? .

I would find a safer spot for it, but that's just me.
    Last edited by tomscat1; 06-04-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    it's not a sticker it's a Sailor Jerry label - thanks for the concern- Yeah the fuel gauge would be a better place for it, that's something I trust more than the temp gauge
    Either way the car's not even running.
    Last edited by Helion42; 09-11-2011 at 01:27 PM.

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is

Update

I've been a lazy bee until lately, the hot weather has been setting in. For the most of this project I've been working solo, and with the engine trying to go back in that makes it go two or three times slower.
    This last week I cleaned out the garage and organized all the tools, making everything go a lot smoother. Also I've been distracted by this awesome side project (click to expand):

So I've been still sorting out the electrical on the car, and have boiled it down to.. more problems than I started with. I removed all of the AC components up to the firewall (in case I decide I want it back) and wanted to keep the aux fan. BUT the aux fan is seized.
    Also the blower fan, or at least the HVAC panel isn't working (all fuses good). The OBCII isn't turning on and needs a new light board. The radio seems to be fried. And the engine harness should be replaced sometime, but for now I'm gonna have to wrap all the cracked coverings w/ tape.

Here I am conquering the engine bay

preparing it for this:

My dad trying to fit the headers on.

Whoever welded them must've had a brain injury or lost his glasses, because the flanges are incredibly misaligned. I'll have to take it to an exhaust shop to have it installed.

I can't find anyone in town that carries the kind of hose I need for the master cylinder feed, so I'm having to wait for it to post. I might just remove and clean the carpet in the meantime. For the time being, there has been not but griping about this project, but soon enough things will get rolling. I expect to have it driving later this month, whether or not the interior is finished. Do you have to have seats to pass inspection?
    On the brighter side, I got a new 100w soldering gun, which has made wiring and fabricating a lot more fun. I can finally tack wires, resistor and LED to a microswitch without melting something before the solder sticks.

also here's a picture of the interior when it was put together, for reminiscing.
    Last edited by Helion42; 07-03-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    '96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Big day today, I finally got a hand with the engine and stuffed that f**ker in.
    Step 1: assemble engine

Step 2: ??????

Step 3: profit

Also got a new starter, since when I tested mine (thankfully before installing) it was toast. nice n shiny.

And I got the shifter put together. I was afraid that the DSSR would hit the driveshaft balancer (aparently a common problem) but if I can find a way to either remove the outer ring of the balancer or move it forward some, I think its cool. Anyone know how to get it off? it seems like if I can just drop the driveline away from the trans (really hard to just slide it back w/ trans in place) that I can just pry the thing off.
    Here's a vid of the short shift.
    '96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    that bike is great. it looks like a /7, probably a 1973 750cc. i have 2 bmws. a 84 r100rt and a 02 r1150rs. fun toys.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    nah the /7s came in 1977, mine's a Sept. 1972 R75/5 short wheelbase, reaaaally low miles. Thread here: http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/7257
    My uncle has an 1100s, those are amazing beasts.
    Last edited by Helion42; 07-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Cleaned out the car today and started stuffing everything back in the dash. While in the garage going thru a box of my cars stuff I found a plastic folder w/ the owners manual, roadside assistance stickers, everything. Even the business card from the dealership it was bought at in 1990. It's all in great shape, I got quite excited.

'96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    1985 BMW 318i
    You make me jealous... I only have about 1/4 of that.
    If I can restore this piece of junk, anything is possible. My progress thread : http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1607757
    The 318i Thread http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1602418

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is

Assembly is reverse of removal

Everything's starting to take shape, it's just the long road of putting everything back in its place and trying to find all the specific screws that hold things together.
    I found the tools -

Here's the interior so far, including the emblem inset in the center console

Since I did the beige-on-black two-tone thing on the door panels (and plan to do a more pro job later), I tried playing with the speakers -
    Which is better? I think if I go beige on black I'll dye the parcel shelf black.
    Beige on black....

....or black on beige?
    '96 328i 'vert
    '89 325i runabout

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325iA Sport Pkg
    In the trunk tool kit, what's the small item in the lower left corner? First time I've seen that in a photo, and haven't seen enough tool kits to have seen one in person.

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Ah the mystery nubbin'. This tool has apparently caused much befuddlement among the E30 crowd. It doesn't even have a p/n on it.

I tried looking it up, can't find out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast