Thread: My First Track/DE Event...

My Cars
    Electric Breadvan

My First Track/DE Event (Limerock)...

First, let me thank everyone here who encouraged me to do this in the first place, and those who gave me sound advice on some do's and dont's; it was all very useful. Also, thank you to everyone involved in the CVC BMWCCA chapter for making such an event possible)

(Ill write this long-post in sort of a narrative/educational way for those who may be interested in attending such an event in the future)

The night before the event had me rather nervous and anxious to say the least. My car had a last-minute tech inspection (plan ahead with your local shop for such a thing) and everything was good-to-go. The guys there also gave me a list of things to bring, not limited to but including:

-Basic tools, including a deep socket and torque wrench for the wheels
    -Extra oil and brake fluid
    -Water, and lots of it
    -Energy bars/some snack food
    -Sunscreen (even though it was 40 degrees for most of the day)
    -Cotton clothing (doesnt melt in case the unthinkable happens)
    -Paper towels, window cleaner
    -A large rubbermaid bin to store everything, including anything loose whatsoever iin the car

With such a list completed, I headed to bed rather early, knowing that the day would be long, and I had to be out of the house by 515 to make it to the track on time...

Once I arrived, thing were very well organized. The car gets inspected again, and registration, schedule of events is distributed. The event, for the novice group, started with a 60 minute classroom session taught by a Skip Barber instructor. We then had a 20 minute break, at which time I met my instructor for the day. We talked for a few minutes, I explained what was done to the car, what I hoped to achieve, etc. It was then time to hit the blacktop..

Per his recommendation, my instructor (Mike M.) drove my car around the track for 3 laps, so I could have a basic idea of the layout. Needless to say this was information overload, as my mind was simply trying to wrap around the fact my car is on a track. We then pulled into the pits, and it was my turn to take the wheel. Nervous is an understatement. I engaged the car into gear, got the go sign from the man in the pit, and I was off! The first time around was very slow, but speed was quickly gaining. Mike had an incredible demeanor for being an instructor. He was very clear, concise, and yet very mellow, calm, and reassuring. It was exactly the time of personality type I needed, someone barking orders would have made me very much more on edge. After about 3 laps, he started encouaging me to pick up more speed, be very light and smooth with the application of power and brake (the latter of which I hardly used except for the end of the main straight) and built my confidence in both myself and the car. After about 5 laps, it was actually soothing to drive on the track; it was astounding how quickly I went from being scared as all hell to having an incredible time. Of course, just a few minutes later, my 20 minute session was up (20 minutes goes by in a flash out there)

More class, and then another 20 minute session, and things were improving well; the back half I could really get going on (although fighting the urge to lift throttle over the hill is hard, as is not getting on the brakes before diving turn) but big bend and the esses were giving me big problems.

Mike then had me ride as passenger (in his mint '88 m5) during one of his sessions. Having now driven the track for a bit, watching how he drove really helped gel what I should be doing. I could see where he placed the car on big bend, and where I should be placing the car through the esses (there were no cones, and seeing the apex points on the very flat esses was hard) This made applying my instructor's comments a bit easier and more productive in the 3rd and 4th track sessons.

I have to say, I had the best car-related-experience-to-date doing this drivers school. I still have a smile on my face it was such an enjoyable experience. It was the best money I have spent on the car, and I learned an incredible amount from the classroom time and the track time. BMWs are amazing pieces of machinery, and in an event such as this, you have much more appreciation for what they can do. I encourage everyone to look into such an event if they have even remotely considered it.

and, as drew@Fairfield Country Motorsport told me as I walked out from the shop "Rich, keep the shiny side up and the pointly end going forward and you will be fine "
    PSOT

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    I can see your smile! Welcome to the sickness.

Glad you got a good instructor. I've some of both.

The night before my 1st DE I hardly sept at all.

Now I'm shopping for a trailer ;-)

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    E46 M3
    it was a great even indeed! very well ran, everything on schedule! what color M3 were you in? i didn't notice any other E46 M3s in my (novice) group.... I had the imola red.

My Cars
    Electric Breadvan
    I have an m3 interior, but not an m3. I was in the black 330Ci (fikse wheels, ACS body kit)
    PSOT

My Cars
    Nice write up, Rich!

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    I hope my experience will be as good as yours!

I just signed up for the DE at Barber in July
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyM
    I just signed up for the DE at Barber in July
    Sweet. I was looking at that one as well.

Barber is a gorgeous track. New. Heavily landscaped, etc.

Never driven it though, just seen it on TV.

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    Cool, come on out!
    So far I'm pretty sure JCSomerset and GGray (instructor) are going to be there. I think a couple other guys from this forum are going too.
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyM
    Cool, come on out!
    So far I'm pretty sure JCSomerset and GGray (instructor) are going to be there. I think a couple other guys from this forum are going too.
    I thought the July event was a tracquest event. It's BMWCCA.

I may do the July BMWCCA at Road Atlanta and do Barber in November with Tracquest.

I've done a Tracquest event at Road Atlanta and it was great. 30 minute sessions and a lot of track time.
    Last edited by count_schemula; 04-20-2004 at 03:09 AM.

My Cars
    1995 Avus Blue M3
    Whats a good track near chicago, I need to get out to a track and experience this.
    -Colin

Prolumen 6K HId's, clears all around, clear markers
    98 front grill, Ac Schnitzer rear 3 piece deck spoiler
    illuminated shift knob, 35% tints, V-1, Blistin shocks
    H&R springs, X-brace, BMP Strut Tower Brace,
    B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust Axxis breaks, UUC = SSK,
    Tranny Mounts TME, Dinan = HF Throttle Body
    HF Air Mass Meter, Software, SuperCharger, Exc

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by M31313
    Whats a good track near chicago, I need to get out to a track and experience this.
    Well, I suppose the thread is only about 1.5 years old.
    2007 335i Space Grey Coupe
    2009 128i Alpine Weiss

My Cars
    '00 328i, '03 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by M31313
    Gingerman Raceway isn't too far from you - and it's a great place for starting out. Grattan is a little farther, and an awesome place to go. Blackhawk Farms isn't too far, it's west. Road America isn't that far, either. But I'd go to Gingerman first.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherbln
    Well, I suppose the thread is only about 1.5 years old.
    nothing wrong with bringing back old threads ... everything the first poster said is still valid today.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan