Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are E24s supposed to run quiet or not?

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack01GC View Post
    Just for the record, it is completely illegal to drive with headphones on, at least in my state.

Wind noise? Sure. I don't really care, the car is 27 years old - these things happen. I have my exhaust to drown it out, anyway.

Window was cracked open a little here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5nS8dGHURk
    Oh, those are your videos? I've been looking for the owner of that car for a while, haha! Love your straight pipes, sounds really great.

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1986 635CSi
    Yes, those are mine.
    1986 635CSi - 2001 330ci

My Cars
    '80 euro 635
    Doing something completely illegal. Would be my 1st time ever.

My Cars
    82-633CSI 94-325is
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1ono View Post
    For those who have tackled wind noise (and won), what are the recommendations out there?

Thanks,

Eric
    I have recommended this several times: Gummi Fledge

It comes in a small applicator bottle (1Z brand from Autohaus AZ) and it softens weatherstrip rubber. Several applications and it will make your rubber feel less hard and your doors should close easier and sealing quality. Adjustment of the window would follow to get your best seal. I doubt you will ever get the seal of modern cars because these cars were before aerodynamic designs, smooth surfacing and lack a window frame.

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    For those who have tackled wind noise (and won), what are the recommendations out there?

Thanks,

Eric
    +1 on the Gummi Fledge

These cars were designed to do 150mph on the Autobahn with no wind noise from the window seal, so if you are getting wind noise over 60 mph, it is most likely from the window glass being sucked out away from the rubber door seal. Most people incorrectly try to adjust the glass tighter to the seal at the top to stop this, but that just makes it harder to close the door.

Others have noticed that there is a groove in the seal at the top and have tried to adjust the window into the groove. But when adjusted higher to fit into the groove, the glass hits the outside edge of the rubber groove and must be pushed with your hand into the groove while you close the door.

Again, not correct, but at least they are on the right track. The glass is supposed to fit into the grove, but there is a trick to the adjustment to get it to go into the grove and still allow the door to close smoothly and normally. The glass must be adjusted with a slight tilt from the front to the rear so that the spot where the glass meets the outer edge of the rubber groove is a small area (initially at the front) because of the tilt. As the door closes, this point of contact sweeps to the rear as the glass enters the groove, with relative little resistance so the door closes normally and smoothly.

Here are some photos and instructions for adjusting the window:

Adjusting the window to fit into the groove:
    Adjusting for the Grove: http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10347&
    Basic adjustments: http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Body_I...anchor24982937

My Cars
    1980 635
    Thanks Chris,nice to see you posting.Both cars are in various states of dis assembly so I'll add this to the project list.

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi A 5 Sp TCD Stage II
    Thanks Chris,nice to see you posting.
    Second the emotion !

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi A 5 Sp TCD Stage II
    Thanks Chris,nice to see you posting.
    Second the emotion !

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Thanks, Vadon and Taylor, the reports of my death were somewhat exaggerated, .............. but only somewhat! I hate "Drop Dead" deadlines with overtime every day for a month!

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1986 635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by jsland View Post
    Just check your local laws, they write tickets here for that on the regular.
    1986 635CSi - 2001 330ci

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1986 635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by jsland View Post
    Just check your local laws, they write tickets here for that on the regular.
    1986 635CSi - 2001 330ci

My Cars
    E30 318is

Thanks,

Eric
    Don't know, my car just came that way. I suspect having spent most of it's life sitting in a garage probably helps. "Gummi pflege" and other rubber treatments generally help keeping the seals flexible which allows the windows to slip into the grove. The explanation from Chris on adjustment looks correct. I suspect a combination of adjustment and seals in good condition would be the trick, but not easily done, as I have seen cars with new seals and lot's of sidewindow wind-noise.

My Cars
    84 325e,78 633, 85 535i
    I had to replace my exhaust system because the PO just welded several sections of pipe together with a wrong muffler. I used a Magna Flow muffler and now the sound is somewhere between quiet and no muffler but with richness and character.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12