Thread: Baur at the Bullenstahl

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur

Baur at the Bullenstahl

Tom is this the car you were talking about in the pm? I will try to find out the details.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by msbehmane36; 01-27-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Quote Originally Posted by msbehmane36 View Post
    Tom is this the car you were talking about in the pm? I will try to find out the details.
    YES! Great! I am working on it too, thru BMW CCA Nittany Bimmers Chapter.

Jeroen has also posted about it today in the "Baur TC1 in the US" thread.

Keep us posted, and thank you!

And, in case anyone missed the pics in the other thread:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Worth checking out that show. Trust me on this. Wow.
    Last edited by tomscat1; 01-27-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur
    I think it belongs to Eds son Garth.

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    That would be neat, wouldn't it? Keep up the good work! Ed being Ed Ullom, the owner of Bullenstall museum, and all those cars. Wow.

No license plate on the car, so it was either trailered in for that show, or .... it lives there! Sounds like you could be right!
    Last edited by tomscat1; 01-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur
    Yeah it is funny how you dont notice certian cars till you own one yourself. Like right after I bought my baur i saw a nice (well is was actually rough, but nice to see) 2002 top cabriolet that was white on I81 10 miles from my house. After asking around it turned out to be a fellow gearhead from the pittsburgh area and then the same info source tells me that Ed Ulloms son Garth has an E21 top cabrio like mine. I would assume that this one is his. We will have to start a Northeast Baur get together. I have three people so far...

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    My sentiments exactly, Scott. If you look at that Google map, there appear to be clusters of Baurs starting to form: one in the Northeast; another in the Southeast; and another in the southwest/ Southern California region. There are vast areas of space in between, with sporadic Baurs.... or perhaps it is just vast areas of as yet UNDISCOVERED Baurs! But we are working on it! Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

I forgot to mention the cluster of Baur (singular) around Anchorage, Alaska. I don't want to overlook that very important one. Hi, Jeff.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead, anthropologist

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...mid=1296148651

The northeast region appears to have about a dozen or so Baurs stretching from CT to VA. And that is just the E21 TC1 Baurs. As you have noted, there are 2002 Baurs, as well as TC2s, no doubt. What a grand gathering that would make! Jeroen does it in Europe very successfully.... why not here? !!

BTW, are able to read that map ok? Does it open properly? I can't tell, cuz I have to sign in to get it. Please let me know.

Update:
    I found this in an old issue of Der Bayerische October 1980
    (the official publication of the National Capital Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America, Inc. and is not in any way connected with the Bayerische Motoren Werke AG or BMW of North America, Inc.).

Garth Ullom is mentioned earlier in this thread as the possible owner of the Baur pictured at the Bullenstall Museum owned by Ed ullom, his father.

PROFILE - RACING BMW's

Garth Ullom has raced BMWs in SCCA competition for five years, plus. Classes of competition have ranged from Modified B Sedan to Show Room Stock (SS) which are street legal automobiles modified only to increase them from a safety standpoint. Garth, who has been selling BMWs for a period of eight years is sponsored in part by Cumberland Valley Motors, the dealership with which he is associated. For the past two years he has been racing a SS Class B, 1978, 320i. In 1979, Ullom had six wins in national events (events at which points are awarded to top finishers which result in an invitation to Road Atlanta for the National runoffs). During that season Ullom set two tract records at Watkins Glen. However, as luck may have it, the season's finale for Garth was an eleventh place at Road Atlanta.
    This year Ullom's finishes have been varied with three wins, two seconds, and one sixth place. In the unofficial standings he is ranked second in the division and is looking toward Road Atlanta. There will be need to do some additional preparation this year in order to avoid another eleventh-place finish. Also, Garth will be driving a not so familiar car, that of his father who also races. The reason behind the car change stems from an armco at Lime Rock that performed its function all so well. It kept Garth's car from careening off the track but at the same time applied extensive damage to the car. Garth says he has turned to the factory for technical advice and support when competitors have filed grievances relative to the car's factory status. He is pleased with' the factory's response but is a little surprised at their limited participation. It appears as though Garth Ullom lives and breaths BMW. For this, the avid BMW car enthusiast must say, "a victory at Road Atlanta for the car's sake."

ShareSlideshow

Mark Windecker > Cars > 1981 RUNOFFS@ROAD ATLANTA > 1981 RUNOFFS@ROAD ATLANTA

< Prev 20 of 97 Next >

SSB R GARTH ULLOM
    BMW 320i

SSB R GARTH ULLOM
    BMW 320i
    Last edited by tomscat1; 01-27-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur
    Wow thanks, yes the map did open and it was great to see it! Since you seem to be good at locating odd info maybe you can help. My dad recals an old issue of Roundel that has three of Ed Ulloms cars screaming down a country road in a V pattern near CVM autopark. He thinks this is in the mid 90's issues. The 2002 turbo is in the picture and the resto is mentioned in that article. Ive never seen this issue before so any info and pics would be great. Thanks again for the map of the TC1's.

Well its kind of slow at the shop so its bullenstahl or bust for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will bring back some details for everyone.
    Last edited by msbehmane36; 01-28-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Quote Originally Posted by msbehmane36 View Post
    Wow thanks, yes the map did open and it was great to see it! Since you seem to be good at locating odd info maybe you can help. My dad recals an old issue of Roundel that has three of Ed Ulloms cars screaming down a country road in a V pattern near CVM autopark. He thinks this is in the mid 90's issues. The 2002 turbo is in the picture and the resto is mentioned in that article. Ive never seen this issue before so any info and pics would be great. Thanks again for the map of the TC1's.

Well its kind of slow at the shop so its bullenstahl or bust for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will bring back some details for everyone.

I'll see what I can do about the Roundel article.

Have a great time at the Bullenstall Museum! And bring a camera! I wonder if you can get the VIN # and the Baur # on that Baur!

Perhaps they have the Roundel article on file or on display at the Bullenstall!
    Last edited by tomscat1; 01-28-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur
    Well im back. What a great time! Ed wasnt there but on of his employees was there and very helpful. He sold the ///m1!!!!!!! Luckily I got to see it over the summer before it was gone. From what the guy there said the TC is Ed's, the vin is WBA18110006918782 it is a carbed 320/6 and the baur number is 1282 an early one. It is kashmirbeige with what looked like black and grey plad seats(with aftermarket covers) and the black vinyl top. It had bitchin 15'' basketweaves painted black to match the ground effects. I am not sure what brand they are, mine had the traditional zender kit with a breyton spoiler but his were diff. the rear spoiler lookes awesome tho. You have to appretiate this place, as soon as the guy flipped the lightswitch i found myself doing something i didnt think i was capible of doing. I walked right passed a 327/B, a '67 1600 cab, a z1, a z8 and an e30 ///m3 to look at the baur. But that just me, and it was worth it. He also had a sweet e21 turbo track car that looked like fun!(that Ed uses to haul tanbark trailer with)

On a side note he did have that issue of Roundel framed there, it was may of 99. If you get a chance to see this issue it is worth it! We asked about having groups of people over and we are all more than welcome!!! They are open every other saturday so lets get a meet going for spring. Everyone who is on board for the 1st annual e21 baur meet at the 'stall make youself heard!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Amazing that all of that is just sitting there practically in your backyard!! Sounds like you had a great time. What a place! I think you should post this over in the Baur TC1 in the US thread also.... lots of folks have been reading that one.

So that is a 320/6 with twin tailpipes. And it does NOT appear in Jeroen's registry, so it is another NEW discovery! Thanks for doing the legwork on this one!! Great job!

And isn't it funny that, sure enough, they would have that exact issue of Roundel that you were asking about. You hit a home run with this one!
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur
    Hell yeah. Its pretty cool to say i saw two count em two e21 tc baur's that are 6 cylider cars in one day!!! And I own one of em, wish it was the drivible one but hey cant have everything lol. Thanks tom

Oh and i saw Garth's huge trophy for the SS/B win! TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHT!
    Last edited by msbehmane36; 01-28-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost